Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 103
  1. #1
    Addict
    Points: 175,629, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 37.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    clonedude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    6,635
    Points
    175,629
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 173
    Given: 0

    FB ticket prices

    I know I'll be ripped for this, but I think ticket prices for ISU football games are ridiculous.

    I remember when you could get a hillside ticket very inexpensively... and it was a great deal for many families. My kids loved it. They could run around, and if we sat in the NE corner, they would run down and give the players high fives and everything. And as a family, it didn't break the bank.

    I see that hillside seats for NDSU and Army are $20 for adults and $10 for kids. That's $60 for my family of four. Add in the gas, etc for the two hour drive from CR, tailgating, and any treats at the game... you are talking well over $120 for one game against a bad opponent.

    Now... I have absolutely no problem with the free market driving prices.... however.... if there are any empty seats or open grass on the hillsides for the NDSU or Army game... then by the definition of the market-the prices are set too high.

    JP should not want one single empty seat or any bare grass for any home game IMO. If you can get $5 for a seat instead of that seat remaining empty... then you should get $5 for it. I will not be taking my family to a game this year. I might go by myself to a game... maybe. And I bet, especially in these economic times, that there will be a LOT of families in the same boat. It is not a lack of school support that drives the decision, it's the fact that it would be irresponsible for many families to spend that kind of money on a college football game instead of necessary things.

    So I will be waiting to see on that Thursday night if we get a full house of around 55,000 people? If not, then JP is throwing money away that he could be getting. A family of four paying $30 total for hillside tickets ($10 adult, $5 kids) is much better than them staying home and not coming at all. You not only miss out on the $30 in ticket sales, but you miss out on parking fees, consessions, and any ISU gear that they might purchase as well?

    I know it's difficult to know where to set that perfect price point, but I think it's too high for the product that we've seen since JP's arrival. I'm done with my rant.... go ahead and rip me apart.

    P.S. I also want to mention that I have no problem with JP charging $90 a seat for Iowa or Nebraska on the other side of the coin. If he can fill the stadium at that price point, then more power to him and ISU.



  2. #2
    Speechless
    Points: 432,896, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Ames
    Posts
    23,821
    Points
    432,896
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 124
    Given: 17

    Re: FB ticket prices

    Guess what? Our budget is still ridiculously low compared to our competition. Prices are a must. We're sitting right in the middle of the conference, and taking a huge risk that we're hoping pays off.

    And prices aren't set for free market. They're generally set to maximize profit. If he can sell 3,000 hillsides at $20 and $1,000 at $10, that's better than selling 10,000 at $5.


    Last edited by IcSyU; 07-30-2009 at 04:55 PM.

  3. #3
    All-Star
    Points: 27,686, Level: 51
    Level completed: 13%, Points required for next Level: 964
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    ahaselhu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Boone, IA
    Posts
    1,785
    Points
    27,686
    Level
    51
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6
    Given: 30

    Re: FB ticket prices

    Quote Originally Posted by clonedude View Post
    Now... I have absolutely no problem with the free market driving prices.... however.... if there are any empty seats or open grass on the hillsides for the NDSU or Army game... then by the definition of the market-the prices are set too high.
    This is assuming that we would be selling out if the prices were lower. I don't think that's a valid assumption.



  4. #4
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 85,682, Level: 91
    Level completed: 7%, Points required for next Level: 1,768
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Incyte's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    3,808
    Points
    85,682
    Level
    91
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 164
    Given: 45

    Re: FB ticket prices

    You do realize that if you cut the prices in half you have to have twice as many people show up right?

    Will twice as many people buy Hillsides if you cut the price in half? No. Your argument fails.


    “Science investigates; religion interprets. Science gives man knowledge, which is power; religion gives man wisdom, which is control. Science deals mainly with facts; religion deals mainly with values. The two are not rivals. They are complementary.”

    Martin Luther King Jr.

  5. #5
    Bench Warmer
    Points: 7,897, Level: 26
    Level completed: 58%, Points required for next Level: 253
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Cyclone29's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    304
    Points
    7,897
    Level
    26
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: FB ticket prices

    Quote Originally Posted by clonedude View Post
    I know I'll be ripped for this, but I think ticket prices for ISU football games are ridiculous.

    I remember when you could get a hillside ticket very inexpensively... and it was a great deal for many families. My kids loved it. They could run around, and if we sat in the NE corner, they would run down and give the players high fives and everything. And as a family, it didn't break the bank.

    I see that hillside seats for NDSU and Army are $20 for adults and $10 for kids. That's $60 for my family of four. Add in the gas, etc for the two hour drive from CR, tailgating, and any treats at the game... you are talking well over $120 for one game against a bad opponent.

    Now... I have absolutely no problem with the free market driving prices.... however.... if there are any empty seats or open grass on the hillsides for the NDSU or Army game... then by the definition of the market-the prices are set too high.

    JP should not want one single empty seat or any bare grass for any home game IMO. If you can get $5 for a seat instead of that seat remaining empty... then you should get $5 for it. I will not be taking my family to a game this year. I might go by myself to a game... maybe. And I bet, especially in these economic times, that there will be a LOT of families in the same boat. It is not a lack of school support that drives the decision, it's the fact that it would be irresponsible for many families to spend that kind of money on a college football game instead of necessary things.

    So I will be waiting to see on that Thursday night if we get a full house of around 55,000 people? If not, then JP is throwing money away that he could be getting. A family of four paying $30 total for hillside tickets ($10 adult, $5 kids) is much better than them staying home and not coming at all. You not only miss out on the $30 in ticket sales, but you miss out on parking fees, consessions, and any ISU gear that they might purchase as well?

    I know it's difficult to know where to set that perfect price point, but I think it's too high for the product that we've seen since JP's arrival. I'm done with my rant.... go ahead and rip me apart.

    P.S. I also want to mention that I have no problem with JP charging $90 a seat for Iowa or Nebraska on the other side of the coin. If he can fill the stadium at that price point, then more power to him and ISU.

    "I remember when ice cream cones were a dime"

    Mini-packs look pretty good now........ironic

    Gonna be a great season Id be buying mini packs now and get a taste of good seats cuz It may not happen again. I was amazed when I changed locations how much more I enjoyed the game. Instead of standing on tip toes only to miss a great play I can see it all now. LOVE IT. Just me thou.



  6. #6
    Addict
    Points: 175,629, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 37.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    clonedude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    6,635
    Points
    175,629
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 173
    Given: 0

    Re: FB ticket prices

    Quote Originally Posted by IcSyU View Post
    Guess what? Our budget is still ridiculously low compared to our competition. Prices are a must. We're sitting right in the middle of the conference, and taking a huge risk that we're hoping pays off.

    And prices aren't set for free market. They're generally set to maximize profit. If he can sell 3,000 hillsides at $20 and $1,000 at $10, that's better than selling 10,000 at $5.
    I remember a few years ago when the CR golf courses were concerned because the number of golfers had dropped and so their income had gone down. And I remember they were considering raising the green fees to make up for this. Does that sound like a way to bring more golfers to the course?? It will probably drive more away. So what are you to do?



  7. #7
    Speechless
    Points: 269,727, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    isuno1fan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Clive, Iowa
    Posts
    17,481
    Points
    269,727
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 110
    Given: 22

    Re: FB ticket prices

    I can't believe you would gripe about spending $120 to entertain a family of 4 for an entire Saturday.

    That's fairly cheap if you ask me.



  8. #8
    Speechless
    Points: 432,896, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Ames
    Posts
    23,821
    Points
    432,896
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 124
    Given: 17

    Re: FB ticket prices

    Quote Originally Posted by clonedude View Post
    I remember a few years ago when the CR golf courses were concerned because the number of golfers had dropped and so their income had gone down. And I remember they were considering raising the green fees to make up for this. Does that sound like a way to bring more golfers to the course?? It will probably drive more away. So what are you to do?
    You're failing to see butts in seats does NOT mean a higher profit. We could have 60,000 people in Ames every weekend trying to get in the game if we offered every ticket for $10, but that'll never happen. More people doesn't mean bigger profit.



  9. #9
    Addict
    Points: 175,629, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 37.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    clonedude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    6,635
    Points
    175,629
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 173
    Given: 0

    Re: FB ticket prices

    Quote Originally Posted by Incyte View Post
    You do realize that if you cut the prices in half you have to have twice as many people show up right?

    Will twice as many people buy Hillsides if you cut the price in half? No. Your argument fails.
    WRONG. What if JP sells 400 hillside seats for the NDSU game and 3/4 of the hillsides are empty that night? However, the tickets are half the price they are now and he puts 8-10,000 on the hillsides? PLUS... add to that all the concessions, parking fees, and any gear you might sell to this many more people?

    Like I said... I will wait and see how full the stadium, including the hillsides, is for the NDSU and Army games. If it is full... then I have no complaints whatsoever. But if the hillsides are half full or less... then JP is losing money IMO.



  10. #10
    Bench Warmer
    Points: 7,897, Level: 26
    Level completed: 58%, Points required for next Level: 253
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Cyclone29's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    304
    Points
    7,897
    Level
    26
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: FB ticket prices

    Quote Originally Posted by IcSyU View Post
    You're failing to see butts in seats does NOT mean a higher profit. We could have 60,000 people in Ames every weekend trying to get in the game if we offered every ticket for $10, but that'll never happen. More people doesn't mean bigger profit.

    Im with you but its hard to make a tight *** not complain about something. In a nice way Suck it up and pay the price....its not like we have every game on TV, unfortunitly. Double the price and I'll work more hours. Wouldnt miss Jack Trice in the fall for anything!!!


    Last edited by isucyfan; 07-30-2009 at 05:26 PM.

  11. #11
    Addict
    Points: 117,380, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    bellzisu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Norwalk
    Posts
    6,392
    Points
    117,380
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 18
    Given: 23

    Re: FB ticket prices

    This is a no win situation in my opinion. I remember a couple years ago when Jamie cut ticket prices for the last couple games... Everyone and their mother complained because "we are season ticket holders and it's not fair that they cut the prices when we already had to pay a set amount"

    Now with the mini packs.... You have people cry unfair because of the great seats they give you, even though it varies game to game, and the low prices.

    Sorry you can't afford the tickets... It is a tough time and I barely could afford our renewal. But if Jamie is going to cut your ticket prices in half... I want the same damn handout. A couple years ago I never would of said that, but with the way things are now... I truely feel that way.



  12. #12
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 85,682, Level: 91
    Level completed: 7%, Points required for next Level: 1,768
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Incyte's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    3,808
    Points
    85,682
    Level
    91
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 164
    Given: 45

    Re: FB ticket prices

    Quote Originally Posted by clonedude View Post
    I know it's difficult to know where to set that perfect price point, but I think it's too high for the product that we've seen since JP's arrival. I'm done with my rant.... go ahead and rip me apart.
    Price points aren't set by previous quality they are set by demand.

    You do realize a round of gold costs about $75 on a saturday right?


    “Science investigates; religion interprets. Science gives man knowledge, which is power; religion gives man wisdom, which is control. Science deals mainly with facts; religion deals mainly with values. The two are not rivals. They are complementary.”

    Martin Luther King Jr.

  13. #13
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 85,682, Level: 91
    Level completed: 7%, Points required for next Level: 1,768
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Incyte's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    3,808
    Points
    85,682
    Level
    91
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 164
    Given: 45

    Re: FB ticket prices

    Quote Originally Posted by clonedude View Post
    WRONG. What if JP sells 400 hillside seats for the NDSU game and 3/4 of the hillsides are empty that night? However, the tickets are half the price they are now and he puts 8-10,000 on the hillsides? PLUS... add to that all the concessions, parking fees, and any gear you might sell to this many more people?

    Like I said... I will wait and see how full the stadium, including the hillsides, is for the NDSU and Army games. If it is full... then I have no complaints whatsoever. But if the hillsides are half full or less... then JP is losing money IMO.
    How many of the extra hillsides are from people that would have gotton full priced tickets but decided not to.

    Do you really think that JP and the athletic department aren't aware of how ticket sales work. Geesh.


    “Science investigates; religion interprets. Science gives man knowledge, which is power; religion gives man wisdom, which is control. Science deals mainly with facts; religion deals mainly with values. The two are not rivals. They are complementary.”

    Martin Luther King Jr.

  14. #14
    Pro
    Points: 38,957, Level: 60
    Level completed: 93%, Points required for next Level: 93
    Overall activity: 19.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures25000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Ames
    Posts
    2,953
    Points
    38,957
    Level
    60
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 33
    Given: 12

    Re: FB ticket prices

    Quote Originally Posted by Incyte View Post
    Price points aren't set by previous quality they are set by demand.

    You do realize a round of gold costs about $75 on a saturday right?
    Gold? or Golf?

    And your point is?



  15. #15
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 85,682, Level: 91
    Level completed: 7%, Points required for next Level: 1,768
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Incyte's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    3,808
    Points
    85,682
    Level
    91
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 164
    Given: 45

    Re: FB ticket prices

    Quote Originally Posted by clonedude View Post
    WRONG. What if JP sells 400 hillside seats for the NDSU game and 3/4 of the hillsides are empty that night? However, the tickets are half the price they are now and he puts 8-10,000 on the hillsides? PLUS... add to that all the concessions, parking fees, and any gear you might sell to this many more people?

    Like I said... I will wait and see how full the stadium, including the hillsides, is for the NDSU and Army games. If it is full... then I have no complaints whatsoever. But if the hillsides are half full or less... then JP is losing money IMO.
    How many of the extra hillsides are from people that would have gotton full priced tickets but decided to get cheap hillsides?

    Do you really think that JP and the athletic department aren't aware of how ticket sales work? Geesh.


    “Science investigates; religion interprets. Science gives man knowledge, which is power; religion gives man wisdom, which is control. Science deals mainly with facts; religion deals mainly with values. The two are not rivals. They are complementary.”

    Martin Luther King Jr.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • TV: Fox Sports 1
  • Iowa State vs. North Dakota State
  • August 30, 2014
  • 11:00 AM