Overall activity: 24.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 153
    Given: 92

Portable HDTV recommendation

As I had to scramble to the tornado room last night, I found that my trusty little emergency handheld LCD TV no longer works, as it is NTSC only.

Does anybody have a recommendation for a small HDTV? For this purpose, it would need to be battery powered at a minimum, and fairly small (7" or less). I've read reviews of several models on line, but most don't get good reviews. There is an Axion 7" that seems to get good reviews. Thanks!

"Don't worry Boss...they can't do nothin' 'til they're through sparklin'..."

Avatar - America's new superhero...Cenex Guy

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 204
    Given: 67

Re: Portable HDTV recommendation

You know, a case like this is one of those things that you didn't really think about when the changeover to DTV occured. You can't really slap a digital converter box on one of these. I haven't really looked at what options are out there for portable digital televisions now. Be interested to see if any other CFers have some experience with them.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 5%, Points required for next Level: 1,435
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

I'm guessing you know this as I think I've seen you talk about TV transmission related things here before, but the TV doesn't have to be HD to receive a digital signal. Beyond that, I can't really offer any help as I don't know much about portable digital TVs.

Addict
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

I got one of these for my dad for Father's Day to replace his old one that no longer worked, and one for myself as well. We use them for tailgating, mainly, but I have mine in my kitchen right now where I don't have cable. Works pretty good, struggles with the signal at times since digital is 'all or nothing' but overall I like it. It's not HD but it is 16:9 digital. I'm planning to get a better external antenna for tailgating.

Amazon.com: Haier HLT71 7-Inch Portable LCD TV: Electronics

I got them when it was in the Target ad for a little less than amazon's price...

Addict
    Level completed: 97%, Points required for next Level: 55
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by SeattleClone View Post
    I got one of these for my dad for Father's Day to replace his old one that no longer worked, and one for myself as well. We use them for tailgating, mainly, but I have mine in my kitchen right now where I don't have cable. Works pretty good, struggles with the signal at times since digital is 'all or nothing' but overall I like it. It's not HD but it is 16:9 digital. I'm planning to get a better external antenna for tailgating.

Amazon.com: Haier HLT71 7-Inch Portable LCD TV: Electronics

I got them when it was in the Target ad for a little less than amazon's price...
    Do you have to have an antenna hooked up to it? Does it work with rabbit ears?

Addict
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by superdorf View Post
    Do you have to have an antenna hooked up to it? Does it work with rabbit ears?
    It comes with a single antenna that screws right into it's coax jack. It works ok outside. I've got an old set of rabbit ears hooked up to it while it's in my kitchen. I plan to take it up to Ames sometime before football starts to try it out in the JTS parking lot. If it doesn't work there, I will get the best non-amplified antenna I can. Hopefully that will be good enough because I don't want to mess with a power inverter just for an antenna amp.

Addict
    Level completed: 97%, Points required for next Level: 55
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by SeattleClone View Post
    It comes with a single antenna that screws right into it's coax jack. It works ok outside. I've got an old set of rabbit ears hooked up to it while it's in my kitchen. I plan to take it up to Ames sometime before football starts to try it out in the JTS parking lot. If it doesn't work there, I will get the best non-amplified antenna I can. Hopefully that will be good enough because I don't want to mess with a power inverter just for an antenna amp.
    Interesting...

I still need to replace my OTA antenna. I had a straight UHF one that worked AWESOME before the conversion... now I only get 13 and 17 with it...

Legend
    Overall activity: 24.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 153
    Given: 92

That's the bad thing about digital as far as an emergency TV. When you are scrambling for cover, it's often not feasible to hook up an external antenna to the portable.

Tuners make a huge difference. I have an MDP-130 (third generation) tuner card in the PC that runs my plasma. It's hooked to a nice UHF/VHF external antenna that I have in my attic. It does good for the most part, but has issues sometimes, especially when rain is coming through. In my desktop PC, I have a Fusion HDTV7. I works perfectly with a set of old rabbit ears I have on my desk. The MDP-130 did very poorly with rabbit ears.

The newer tuners do a much better job with multipath and other such issues. Hopefully, all these portables have latest generation tuners. I'm about 12 miles from the tower farm.

"Don't worry Boss...they can't do nothin' 'til they're through sparklin'..."

Avatar - America's new superhero...Cenex Guy