Overall activity: 17.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 67
    Given: 44

Next year in basketball=More disappointment

Look I know we are getting good recruits. A lot of others are also. We should be better but if anyone thinks next year is the breakout year then your wrong and you will be crushed.

I think we are still two years away. Next year we get the recruits in and then when Brack and Garrett get in the system for a second year we will be in the tourny. Look for a NIT birth next year to show our improvement.

All-Star
    Level completed: 24%, Points required for next Level: 769
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Re: Next year in basketball=More disappointment

I have to say that you make a decent point in that we can not expect to just be great. But we also have to consider with Rush, Durant and others opting out early and seniors leaving that you can't get too much better in a returning combo then Taylor and Wesley Johnson. Our glaring weakness for this season has been inside presence and both Thompson and Brackins will bring an immediate depth and a whole new level of game. And if Garrett can be half of the player that we think he can, it will allow Taylor to play a 2 guard vs. always needing to handle the ball which is where turnovers are coming from. I firmly believe that the NCAA is a very real possibility next year, but also can see the doubt some may have in thinking it will be another year or so.

ďAlso, I met a lot of Iowa State fans and I donít want to leave any of that behind.Ē - DARIUS DARKS on Staying a CLONE!!!

Matt (00 Alumn)
    Waukee, Iowa

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 15.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 39
    Given: 37

Well in looking at the poll that Cyphor created, I think most understand next year is still a year for building and not for great success.

Link

Doesn't mean we can't or won't go to the NCAA dance next year - but most understand that it looks like the '08/'09 basketball season will be the one to expect good things.

Walk On
    Level completed: 2%, Points required for next Level: 492
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

I think Mac is looking at the future as being further down the road then next year. I believe he did get some quality freshmen that will continue to develope and help out next year. The JUCOs were needed for immediate help to have kids that have played a more competitive level. He needed warm bodies to fill the roster this year. They are not the longer term future of the team and I agree that that is probably at least 2 years away. If we are able to compete next year, great. But, I really think we are 2 to 3 years out.

Rookie
    Level completed: 70%, Points required for next Level: 212
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

while i agree with your viewpoint, i only agree with a little bit of it. Take a entire off season with the guys we have starting right now, Jiri, Clark, macintosh, taylor as seniors. MAC has the ability to coach, dont forget that piece. While we have looked terrible the last few games, there has been no quitting in this team.

Add in a few big guards to take Macintosh out of the game, and the offense suddenly opens up for Jiri.

Like CY ST8T says, the Big 12 loses a lot of talent next year, it will be backed up of course, but I wouldnt count ISU out of getting into the tourney next year.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 11

If you are referring to my post, I wasn't exactly thinking we were going to contend or anything next year. But I think next year we could see the team start taking the shape of what McDermott wants to have on the floor. While I'm pumped about Garrett, it's not like I think he's going to come in and be a Lawson, Augustine, or Conley.

Bench Warmer
    Level completed: 54%, Points required for next Level: 328
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 5

I dont get why everyone on this board is so comfortable with saying McDermott categorically CAN COACH, and how he WILL DEVELOP players into superstars and all that stuff (I know, he had a few good teams at UNI). After watching the last few games, especially the Missouri game, I'm not sold on that at all. Someone who is a great coach, like everyone says McD is, simply would not have let his team get blown out by 22 at home by a bad team.

I understand everything about young players and all that crap, but we've shown the ability, both basketball wise and coaching wise, to play with good teams. When we dont, blame has to fall on players as well as coaches. McDermott is not a God and is not the greatest coach ever, and I'm tired of people making excuses for why we suck. Maybe its just the frustration from the Missouri loss, but thats what I think.

Walk On Achievements:

Thumbs Up

I agree 100%. We have serious guard problems, and it's going to take a while for the new guys to develop. I'm not really expecting much improvement next year. It was pretty devastating to the program to have so many guards leave. I bet Degand would have helped tremendously. But that's all water under the bridge...

GO CYCLONES!

Legend Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

Hmmm, I'm not so sure.

I'm not one to expect big things from incoming players. It's easy to get spoiled from recent episodes of instant-gratification players like Tinsley, Horton, Willoughby, Cato, Pratt have given ISU. But I don't think I'm doing that. My feelings are that we have a good nucleus of players, with a potential exceptional player(s) mixed in. And that nucleus will benefit with the addition of the new players - by being able to play in spots they're more suited for - provided the additions can produce. Plus, I can't help but expect that a full year of all these players under GMac @ ISU will improve things greatly

You might be very correct, we might not be dancing next year. But I fully expect to be in the mix come Feb '08.

Last edited by DaddyMac; 02-08-2007 at 01:17 PM.

Walk On
    Level completed: 32%, Points required for next Level: 479
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

i agree with the above to some degree. While, I am happy that we have McDermott as our coach, look at the MO game. He was out coached. MO switched it up to that stupid weave and we could not stop it time after time. NO changes in defense at all. We just kept chasing them. There are a lot of great coaches in the big 12 but I would list MO as the bottom tier.

Recruit
    Level completed: 16%, Points required for next Level: 424
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Bad teams beat good teams all the time. I wouldn't take evidence of one bad game into account to how well someone can coach. If the only reason a team can lose to a team with inferior talent, then what does that say about Rick Barnes and Texas, no one has more talent than him. McDermott can coach, but coaching has a lot more to do with (the team) learning from bad defeats than it does from actually not allowing them to happen. The best team doesnt always win, even if the better team has better coaching. The players play the game. Give McDermott time to actually evaluate and work with the players and measure progress over the long haul rather than in each game.

Starter Achievements:
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by cycloneted View Post
    I dont get why everyone on this board is so comfortable with saying McDermott categorically CAN COACH, and how he WILL DEVELOP players into superstars and all that stuff (I know, he had a few good teams at UNI). After watching the last few games, especially the Missouri game, I'm not sold on that at all. Someone who is a great coach, like everyone says McD is, simply would not have let his team get blown out by 22 at home by a bad team.

I understand everything about young players and all that crap, but we've shown the ability, both basketball wise and coaching wise, to play with good teams. When we dont, blame has to fall on players as well as coaches. McDermott is not a God and is not the greatest coach ever, and I'm tired of people making excuses for why we suck. Maybe its just the frustration from the Missouri loss, but thats what I think.
    Losing to Missouri like that really sucks but remember we also took Kansas to overtime which you could say was some really great coaching. Only time will tell how good of a coach Mac is but his teams play really hard and don't quit which is a good sign.

You could tell Missouri really wanted to beat us after losing like they did in Columbia. I think we took their best shot and crupled over.

Addict
    Overall activity: 17.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 67
    Given: 44

I know he can coach. I know the next wave of recruits are good recruits. I know we will get there someday. The FACT, and it is a fact is that it takes a few years to build a program. No matter how good of a coach you are. Look at Scott Drew, Rick Pitino, and many others. We are going in the right direction with the guys we are getting. Just don't think we are that close yet. By the way. Thanks for the negative rep for giving my opinion.

Rookie
    Level completed: 43%, Points required for next Level: 290
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Knownothing View Post
    Look I know we are getting good recruits. A lot of others are also. We should be better but if anyone thinks next year is the breakout year then your wrong and you will be crushed.

I think we are still two years away. Next year we get the recruits in and then when Brack and Garrett get in the system for a second year we will be in the tourny. Look for a NIT birth next year to show our improvement.
    The team should achieve some measure of respectability next season with the players that are coming in. I think an 8-8 conference record realistic. An NIT bid next year is also an achievable goal. This team will continue to improve but it won't happen overnight. I agree that it will take at least two years to get to the big dance. I do have every confidence that GMac is the one to get the team there.

Psyched about the Clones!!!

Speechless
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 2

ISU Fans keep forgetting about one main point SCHOLARSHIPS we are short 3 + 1 (Thompson) this year and who knows how many next year. Did Dr. Morgan graduate anyone...?

You hired a Coach in April, installed him in a program with the Scholarship issues, and Players leaving that was just short of being on the
    Death Penalty in college sports.

Give Mac 3-4 Years and ISU will return to Big 12 and National success, and by doing it the Right Way!