Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Walk On Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Big XII north's future

It has been an interesting season so far. I wanted to get everyone's opinion of the new coaches in the North and their performance so far.

This is how I would rate them:

1.) Huggy Bear @ KSU. I hate Huggins b/c of his player graduation rate, Thuggy ball, but the guy can flat out coach and recruit. He may take KSU to the big dance this year. Very impressive, but I still hate KSU.

2A.) Doc Sadler @ NU. He inherited a team very similar to ISU. A couple of quality players in Maric and Richardson, but very little team depth and no height at all beside Maric. Lost @ home to Texas by 1 and have beaten MU and TTU on the road. This year is a throw away year similar to ISU. 7 new players will join the team next year. Coaching job has been very solid so far.

2B.) McDermott @ ISU. System is solid. Need more players. Some positives, but the team hasn't been playing very well lately.

3.) Anderson @ MU. Don't know that much about him other than he is a Nolan Richardson disciple. Should be able to recruit well in Missouri as they have some history in BB.

4.) New coach @ CU next year. Who knows what to think about CU other than they are young and very difficult @ home.

Overall, the north has seen a significant upgrade in coaching talent. Will they be able to close the gap in regards to KU and the south? Too soon to tell, but it will be very difficult for any of the teams above to be consistantly in the top 4 in the Big XII overall. The league overall should bounce back and become even more difficult from top to bottom for years to come.

Thoughts????

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 133

Re: Big XII north's future

That looks about right. I think Anderson could be 2c since the Tigers are coming on strong, but he also has the most talent on that roster (3 4-star juniors and Hannah who was a juco all-American.)

Pro
    Level completed: 74%, Points required for next Level: 286
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

I don't watch enough basketball to even really comment, but what I do know is that I think if the new coaches are given time, I think that KSU, ISU, and Nebraska are up and coming programs in the Big 12.

Rookie
    Level completed: 34%, Points required for next Level: 397
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 5

mmmm again how many NCCA tournments games has NU won ever?
    Don't see that changing sorry

Speechless
    Overall activity: 30.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 176
    Given: 208

Quote Originally Posted by GM4ISU View Post
    I'm not sure we need flaming, on either side of this discussion. While it has existed in the past, this thread isn't anything of the sort.

Hopefully the North will pick it up soon - in both basketball and football. Tired of seeing the South dominate the Big 12.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 83
    Given: 1

I'm not sold on the new philosophy at Missouri. It's been a long time since the 40 minutes of hell has really worked at a major conference level. I know this is how Anderson made UAB successful, but for some reason, I don't see it being successful in the Big 12.

Forever trying to find a cure for the Dunning-Kruger Effect.

Legend
    Overall activity: 61.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 864
    Given: 177

Well I guess NU would have the same argument for our football program, so before you go flaming other teams, maybe you should think of that.

Walk On Achievements:

Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by chuckd4735 View Post
    Well I guess NU would have the same argument for our football program, so before you go flaming other teams, maybe you should think of that.
    I didn't even say that NU will make to tourney next year. All I said is I see solid coaching, very similar to what I see with McDermott. I see many posters on hear with just blind faith in Pollard and Chizek. I don't think I've flamed much at all. If an alternative view is flaming, then I guess I'm a flamethrower.

If Dan Mac had signed the same class Chizek is bringing in, he'd be crucified right now for taking so many JUCOs. But since a new coach is doing it, he's a genious and trying to win right now. I guess anything anyone says can be taken in anyway, just matters on your perspective.

Rookie
    Level completed: 28%, Points required for next Level: 437
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

This may have been meant as a flame but the kid does have a point, in 90 years they have never won one, I actually had to look it up. (Wikipedia is a wonderful site.) I am a bit of an optimist and a Big XII supporter, so as long as we beat em when we play them then I say they are due for a win in the tourney and deserve one.
    Huh, they were actually called the Hawkeyes, the Bugeaters (my personal favorite), and the Mankilling Mastodons. (a close second in my book) till 1900 when Cornhuskers took over as the widely accepted name. Enough fun fact about Lincoln.

In response to the original post I have to agree that the new coaches will close the gap and make the north more competetive. We need to make some tourney noise to get the talking heads to think of us more in the way they do the Big 11. The respect will help so when we all beat on eachother we still get the respect as a tough conference even with losses to eachother in league play.

Legend
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 181
    Given: 34

I would have Anderson at 1, his UAB teams were amazing considering what he has to recruit against in his own state. I see him really making Missouri a force...

Legend
    Overall activity: 61.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 864
    Given: 177

Quote Originally Posted by NU Follower View Post
    I didn't even say that NU will make to tourney next year. All I said is I see solid coaching, very similar to what I see with McDermott. I see many posters on hear with just blind faith in Pollard and Chizek. I don't think I've flamed much at all. If an alternative view is flaming, then I guess I'm a flamethrower.

If Dan Mac had signed the same class Chizek is bringing in, he'd be crucified right now for taking so many JUCOs. But since a new coach is doing it, he's a genious and trying to win right now. I guess anything anyone says can be taken in anyway, just matters on your perspective.
    Yeah, I was not going after you for what you said, I was going after GM4ISU for saying he didnt see the fact that Nebraska has not won an NCAA Tourney game in however many years it is changing. I was trying to compair that to the fact that up until 6 years ago, our football team had never won a bowl game, and alot of NU fans could of said the same exact thing about McCarney when he took the rhelms here at ISU.

Rookie
    Level completed: 34%, Points required for next Level: 397
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 5

kool aid drinkers

Addict
    Level completed: 87%, Points required for next Level: 182
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 14
    Given: 8

Quote Originally Posted by NU Follower View Post
    To be honest, D-Mac would have no excuse bringing in 11 JUCOs considering he should've been recruiting high school players all year long. Because Chizik was brought in relatively late when the recruiting season is almost over, a JUCO heavy was okay, and expected.

Go Sssssssssyclones!

Starter
    Level completed: 41%, Points required for next Level: 473
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 11

Quote Originally Posted by isucyfan View Post
    I'm not sold on the new philosophy at Missouri. It's been a long time since the 40 minutes of hell has really worked at a major conference level. I know this is how Anderson made UAB successful, but for some reason, I don't see it being successful in the Big 12.
    I'm with you on that.

The problem i see, is that it works much better in out of conference play than in-conference play. When you get refs that are from another conference calling games, they don't see the teams as often, and i think are reluctant to call the hand-slaps and body pushes, esp. away from the basket.

Get into conference, and you see that stuff get called a lot tighter, to keep tempers down, and to maintain control. Plus, the refs don't have to think about how they're calling a game against a team that isn't affiliated with the ref's conference.

You saw that early this year in Mizzou. Great non-conference schedule, then immediately had foul issues when they got into conference. When Morgan was at ISU, you saw the same thing as well. ISU would play great out of conference, then get called for a boatload of fouls in conference.

I'm not very impressed with Doc Sadler at this point. I think he was a premature hire, he didn't have much of a track record at UTEP before he was hired (2 years, maybe?). And he really hasn't got much out of Maric, who should be a first-team big 12er, in my opinion.

The coach who's getting the most traction out of his team is in the B12 south, Jeff Capo. That's a team of next-to-nothings, with career performances out of previous nobody's, like Longar Longar and Nate Carter.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 67.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 551
    Given: 349

Quote Originally Posted by isucyfan View Post
    Forty minutes of hell looks like 20 for missouri and 20 for the opponent. And did Bill Self vaporize?

Let my Fred's Posse Ride: Georges, Naz, Hogue, Bryce, Nader, Monte, Matt, and McKay.