Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 39
  1. #1
    Pro
    Points: 61,433, Level: 76
    Level completed: 87%, Points required for next Level: 217
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    KMAC_ATTACK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Waterloo
    Posts
    2,359
    Points
    61,433
    Level
    76
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 87
    Given: 10

    Questioning Recruiting.....already

    But in a good way....

    When our coaches extended an offer and then received a commit from punter Kirby Van Der Kamp, i was thinking "WHO"? Why are we not after Will Hagerup the nationas #1 prospect out of Wisconsin because we were in on him last year, and suddenly we were onto this kid VanDerKamp... Well, its way too early to applaud anyone but the early returns are imo our staff is doing an excellent job evaluting kids and recruiting talent.

    Anyone who follows recruiting knows the best recruiters know about all the "4-5 star Kids" but being able to evaluate a player and seeing potential is a true art...

    For ISU, we all know our punter Brantner has performed very well over his career and hopefully he has a great senior season, but, our 2010 roster spot for punter was lacking a talent, now that thought is gone!!!

    Two things of note: he was invited and performed very well at the national invitational last weekend, and the recruiting service Kohl's who specializes in all facets of kicking has him rated as the 6th best punter prospect for next year. Getting in on him and committed fills a huge hole for our 2010 roster....

    Craig Haubert: The nation's top kickers showed their leg skills under intense competition at Jamie Kohl's National Invitational Scholarship Showcase - ESPN


    6 Van Der Kamp Kirby 6'3 athlete, Good WR, late bloomer in punting, excellent talent, fast leg, had the best charts at Midwest Showcase Camp, BCS talent, drop needs work to maximize talent, gets great distance and good hang time West Des Moines IA


    Great job from Coach Rhoads and his staff......one thing i always hated about Coach Mac was he never seemed too interested in recruiting a punter or kicker...kind of an after-thought and the results usually showed.....But Rhoads is looking at all facets of our team and identifying holes that need to be filled......



  2. #2
    Bench Warmer
    Points: 14,749, Level: 36
    Level completed: 88%, Points required for next Level: 101
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    New Orleans
    Posts
    248
    Points
    14,749
    Level
    36
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 20
    Given: 9

    Re: Questioning Recruiting.....already

    Great, we are hanging our hats on being able to recruit a punter who lives just down the road. I hope that what you say is accurate, but I would not use the idea that he spotted talent in a kid 40 miles away from campus (and what, 10 miles from coaches hometown?) and got him to commit to support that idea. When he goes into another state and finds some kids like this, be in Texas, Florida, Ohio, Cali, Penn, etc then I will start being impressed.



  3. #3
    Just Win Baby
    Points: 299,761, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Clones85''s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    13,328
    Points
    299,761
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 10
    Given: 2

    Re: Questioning Recruiting.....already

    Are we talking about a punter...seriously! : )

    Sadly Brantner has been our MVP the last few seasons. We need to start recruiting better and hopefully start using guys like Van Der Kamp less often



  4. #4
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 69,348, Level: 81
    Level completed: 77%, Points required for next Level: 402
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    d4nim4l's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    West Des Moines, IA
    Posts
    4,810
    Points
    69,348
    Level
    81
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 21
    Given: 46

    Re: Questioning Recruiting.....already

    The other important thing about this, and KMAC touched on it, is the emphasis on special teams by Coach Rhoads.

    We made some big gains on special teams last year and it was one of my prime concerns after Chizik left. It got worse when we did not hire a dedicated special teams coach, or even one who split time like Boulware. However, after hearing Rhoads speak about it and how each coach will have his place with special teams I can see this really becoming a strength with this regime.

    It has to be if we hope to win games we shouldn't.



    College Football Analytics
    on Twitter & Facebook


    Wide Right & Natty Lite - Loyal Sons, Forever True. With beer!

  5. #5
    Pro
    Points: 91,982, Level: 94
    Level completed: 39%, Points required for next Level: 1,168
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    CylentButDeadly's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Windsor Heights, IA
    Posts
    3,406
    Points
    91,982
    Level
    94
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 10
    Given: 12

    Re: Questioning Recruiting.....already

    It's hard for me to get to jacked up about special teams, but clearly we've had some issues in that dept. in the past, and if this staff wants to make good ST play a priority, then I'm going to trust them. Beamer Ball seems to work pretty well for VT (of course, they have the D to back it up).



  6. #6
    Addict
    Points: 185,298, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Stewo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Ankeny
    Posts
    7,986
    Points
    185,298
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 986
    Given: 213

    Re: Questioning Recruiting.....already

    Apparently, you forgot this kid. His profile doesn't list us anymore, but our staff was among the first, if not the first to offer him.

    Joshua Shaw - Football Recruiting



  7. #7
    Addict
    Points: 101,964, Level: 99
    Level completed: 46%, Points required for next Level: 1,086
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Frak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    6,182
    Points
    101,964
    Level
    99
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 386
    Given: 252

    Re: Questioning Recruiting.....already

    Quote Originally Posted by CyFanInChiLand View Post
    Great, we are hanging our hats on being able to recruit a punter who lives just down the road. I hope that what you say is accurate, but I would not use the idea that he spotted talent in a kid 40 miles away from campus (and what, 10 miles from coaches hometown?) and got him to commit to support that idea. When he goes into another state and finds some kids like this, be in Texas, Florida, Ohio, Cali, Penn, etc then I will start being impressed.
    So I guess you are not counting Blanton, Jennert, Scott, Watson and Woods? All of those are HS kids from TX/FL/CA that were overlooked. Of course, they still have to prove that they were underated and can be successful in the Big XII, but CPR found those kids pretty late in the process, got them in on a visit, and pulled a commitment.



  8. #8
    Addict
    Points: 101,964, Level: 99
    Level completed: 46%, Points required for next Level: 1,086
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Frak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    6,182
    Points
    101,964
    Level
    99
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 386
    Given: 252

    Re: Questioning Recruiting.....already

    Quote Originally Posted by d4nim4l View Post
    The other important thing about this, and KMAC touched on it, is the emphasis on special teams by Coach Rhoads.

    We made some big gains on special teams last year and it was one of my prime concerns after Chizik left. It got worse when we did not hire a dedicated special teams coach, or even one who split time like Boulware. However, after hearing Rhoads speak about it and how each coach will have his place with special teams I can see this really becoming a strength with this regime.

    It has to be if we hope to win games we shouldn't.
    Rhoads is taking personal responsibility for special teams. I don't think that that area will lack focus or detail.



  9. #9
    Bench Warmer
    Points: 14,749, Level: 36
    Level completed: 88%, Points required for next Level: 101
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    New Orleans
    Posts
    248
    Points
    14,749
    Level
    36
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 20
    Given: 9

    Re: Questioning Recruiting.....already

    Quote Originally Posted by Frak View Post
    So I guess you are not counting Blanton, Jennert, Scott, Watson and Woods? All of those are HS kids from TX/FL/CA that were overlooked. Of course, they still have to prove that they were underated and can be successful in the Big XII, but CPR found those kids pretty late in the process, got them in on a visit, and pulled a commitment.

    I will be impressed when those guys make an impact at this level. I didn't forget about them, but I'm not going to annoint them All Big XII level status just yet. I tend to go with the idea that a guy will not make a huge impact, until he shows me he will on the field. Hype/Hope doesn't get you a W on saturdays.



  10. #10
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 44,081, Level: 64
    Level completed: 87%, Points required for next Level: 169
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    4,052
    Points
    44,081
    Level
    64
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 379
    Given: 169

    Re: Questioning Recruiting.....already

    Quote Originally Posted by Stewo View Post
    Apparently, you forgot this kid. His profile doesn't list us anymore, but our staff was among the first, if not the first to offer him.

    Joshua Shaw - Football Recruiting

    This kids brother played for Ash at SDSU and that is why we had realtionship with this kid. Shaw has some great offers...WOW



  11. #11
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 94,028, Level: 95
    Level completed: 47%, Points required for next Level: 1,022
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Johnston
    Posts
    4,300
    Points
    94,028
    Level
    95
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 153
    Given: 369

    Re: Questioning Recruiting.....already

    I think those that are complaining in this thread about the punter...I think they'd also be the first ones to complain if our punter sucked.


    Quote Originally Posted by JonDMiller View Post

    Dosry, You know what? I think I'll agree with you :)

    Quote Originally Posted by bos
    You sir are a legend.

  12. #12
    Addict
    Points: 185,298, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Stewo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Ankeny
    Posts
    7,986
    Points
    185,298
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 986
    Given: 213

    Re: Questioning Recruiting.....already

    Quote Originally Posted by CyFanInChiLand View Post
    I will be impressed when those guys make an impact at this level. I didn't forget about them, but I'm not going to annoint them All Big XII level status just yet. I tend to go with the idea that a guy will not make a huge impact, until he shows me he will on the field. Hype/Hope doesn't get you a W on saturdays.
    Yeah. I don't see a purpose to have hope and get excited either. All of these sunshine pumpers make me want to break stuff. Stupid dummies!!!



  13. #13
    Addict
    Points: 185,298, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Stewo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Ankeny
    Posts
    7,986
    Points
    185,298
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 986
    Given: 213

    Re: Questioning Recruiting.....already

    Quote Originally Posted by 2forISU View Post
    This kids brother played for Ash at SDSU and that is why we had realtionship with this kid. Shaw has some great offers...WOW
    Right. But that doesn't change the fact that our staff got in on him early.



  14. #14
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 76,777, Level: 86
    Level completed: 13%, Points required for next Level: 1,573
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Bader's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Ankeny
    Posts
    4,680
    Points
    76,777
    Level
    86
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 341
    Given: 189

    Re: Questioning Recruiting.....already

    Quote Originally Posted by CylentButDeadly View Post
    It's hard for me to get to jacked up about special teams, but clearly we've had some issues in that dept. in the past, and if this staff wants to make good ST play a priority, then I'm going to trust them. Beamer Ball seems to work pretty well for VT (of course, they have the D to back it up).
    Actually recruiting S/T players != Beamer Ball

    Dan never saw the value of going after solid kickers/punters and it cost him. Paul seems to understand the importance of that.



  15. #15
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 67,168, Level: 80
    Level completed: 45%, Points required for next Level: 882
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Central Iowa
    Posts
    4,778
    Points
    67,168
    Level
    80
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 233
    Given: 1,571

    Re: Questioning Recruiting.....already

    Quote Originally Posted by Frak View Post
    Rhoads is taking personal responsibility for special teams. I don't think that that area will lack focus or detail.

    Great Minds think a lot....

    When coach Rhoads talked yesterday re special teams my thought was "THIS COACH IS TAKING NUTHIN FOR GRANTED"...

    Which is good in my opinion!!!


    Go Clones Beat No Dakota St



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • TV: ESPNU
  • HOOPS: Iowa State @ Texas Tech
  • February 10, 2016
  • 08:00 PM