Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 59
    Given: 0

An update on the AAU bball "racket"

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/07/27/sp....html?_r=1&hpw

I guess I'm not the only one who was shocked at the practice of charging $250 for a program at AAU tourneys. I gotta say, after reading the above article, I am a Kevin Stallings fan...and note all the coaches who were too chicken to comment....

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 85
    Given: 151

Re: An update on the AAU bball "racket"

Good post - good article. Those prices are disgusting. I agree - more coaches should speak up about this garbage...

Pro
    Level completed: 10%, Points required for next Level: 1,362
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 27
    Given: 6

I'm far more concerned about the fact that these AAU coaches are the ones charged with coaching these kids. AAU simply isn't teaching many positive basketball skills. Defense is non-existent, shot selection is poor, post entry passes are exceedingly rare, and players aren't working on individual skills either.

I played years of AAU ball. The only time I had a good coach was when I played on the same team as the son of a former KU assistant.

I could care less that these poor ol' universities have to pay $300 to watch some recruits. It's virtually nothing in regards to an overall recruiting budget. However, you got to agree with Stallings; he's a good dude and has a good point. Even if the universities have enough money to cover it, that doesn't make it okay to charge an arm and a leg for 20 sheets of paper with a list of names on it.

AAU ball is pretty sketchy, all the way around.

Pro
    Level completed: 30%, Points required for next Level: 1,330
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4
    Given: 4

I don't know a lot about Kevin Stallings other than watching a few Vandy games here and there, but he has earned my respect and I wish him the best of luck in his career. I am absolutely thrilled that a coach has finally decided to stand up to these ridiculous AAU organizers and leaches. I realize the NCAA has a lot of issues as well, but the high school AAU circuit is a blatant example of what is wrong with amateur athletics. Through the manipulation of athletes, parents, coaches and a host of others, to the outright exploitation of kids, this entire operation needs to be cleaned up. Now, I realize that if there's money to be made, there's always going to be issues teetering on the ethical fence, but what's being done through these AAU teams is dispicable, and worse yet, the NCAA just turns it head.

Pro
    Level completed: 15%, Points required for next Level: 1,022
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Great article. The Antonio Curry guy is a snake. We played at one of his tournaments one time and he is only concerned about the dollars not the kids.

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

Quote Originally Posted by CylentButDeadly View Post
    I don't know a lot about Kevin Stallings other than watching a few Vandy games here and there, but he has earned my respect and I wish him the best of luck in his career. I am absolutely thrilled that a coach has finally decided to stand up to these ridiculous AAU organizers and leaches. I realize the NCAA has a lot of issues as well, but the high school AAU circuit is a blatant example of what is wrong with amateur athletics. Through the manipulation of athletes, parents, coaches and a host of others, to the outright exploitation of kids, this entire operation needs to be cleaned up. Now, I realize that if there's money to be made, there's always going to be issues teetering on the ethical fence, but what's being done through these AAU teams is dispicable, and worse yet, the NCAA just turns it head.
    Amateur maybe but, make no mistake, it is all about the money.

These guys in the AAU system see what college coaches make, what universities make, and what the NCAA makes on basketball and think to themselves..."hey, I'm gonna get me a piece of the pie".

As I have said on numerous posts in the past...AAU has turned into nothing more than a money making racket for a lot of people and they are soaking everyone they can...parents, sponsors, college coaches...whoever they can soak.

I cheer for two teams, Iowa State and whoever is playing the hawkeyes.

Pro
    Level completed: 30%, Points required for next Level: 1,330
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 4

Quote Originally Posted by cyclonenum1 View Post
    Amateur maybe but, make no mistake, it is all about the money.

These guys in the AAU system see what college coaches make, what universities make, and what the NCAA makes on basketball and think to themselves..."hey, I'm gonna get me a piece of the pie".

As I have said on numerous posts in the past...AAU has turned into nothing more than a money making racket for a lot of people and they are soaking everyone they can...parents, sponsors, college coaches...whoever they can soak.
    I have no problem with people making a buck. That's fine, but it's the way that this system does it that gets to me. When shoe companies & sponsors dictate what tournaments, teams & coaches a player can and can not play for, that's wrong. When college coaches have to pay a "service fee" just to talk to a kid or have to communicate through one of the kid's designated "handlers", that's wrong. When scumbags like Frank Martin at K-St. can strong-arm their way into a HC job on the D-1 level because they happen to have a connection with a kid or two, that's wrong.

I can go on and on, but we all get the point. We're dealing with a flawed system that exploits, manipulates and employs little ethical standards when it comes to the game of basketball and kids. Unfortunately, it starts when they're very young and continues all the way up to the NCAA & NBA.

Rookie
    Level completed: 98%, Points required for next Level: 24
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3

I think that the organizers of the tournaments could be charged with discrimination and unfair pricing policies because of charging people different prices. The coaches don't want retribution though so no one will press the issue.