Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 0

Twins want Gm to make a trade

They're a game under .500, but the AL Central title remains well within reach for the Minnesota Twins. Historically the team has been quiet at the deadline, but the Twins' biggest stars hope this year's different. Justin Morneau, Joe Mauer and Joe Nathan all say they hope GM BIll Smith can add to the team by Friday, according to La Velle E. Neal III of the Minneapolis Star Tribune.
    Mauer feels "frustration" every time the team stands pat at the deadline, so Morneau wonders if the star catcher will want to return after 2010, when he becomes a free agent.

"If we don't do anything this year, I can't see how he's going to want to come back and go through this every year," Morneau said.

The Twins, now 4.0 games back of the division lead, are interested in middle infielders and relief pitching.

Freddy Sanchez and Jack Wilson are available and the Pirates are listening to offers. The Twins and Red Sox scouted the Pirates-D'Backs contest yesterday.

According to Orlando Cabrera," Slusser writes, "when the A's played Minnesota last week, every time Joe Mauer or Justin Morneau got on base, they'd say, " 'We're trying to get you! We want to get you here!'"
    But, Slusser also adds this: "An A's source told The Chronicle last week that the Twins' offer wasn't what Oakland was looking for. Minnesota sounds motivated enough to have improved the offer, but it's also possible that it would take a multi-team deal to make it happen."

Last edited by hurdleisu24; 07-27-2009 at 04:56 PM.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 28%, Points required for next Level: 937
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4
    Given: 10

Re: Twins want Gm to make a trade

Quote Originally Posted by hurdleisu24 View Post
    They're a game under .500, but the AL Central title remains well within reach for the Minnesota Twins. Historically the team has been quiet at the deadline, but the Twins' biggest stars hope this year's different. Justin Morneau, Joe Mauer and Joe Nathan all say they hope GM BIll Smith can add to the team by Friday, according to La Velle E. Neal III of the Minneapolis Star Tribune.
    Mauer feels "frustration" every time the team stands pat at the deadline, so Morneau wonders if the star catcher will want to return after 2010, when he becomes a free agent.

"If we don't do anything this year, I can't see how he's going to want to come back and go through this every year," Morneau said.

The Twins, now 4.0 games back of the division lead, are interested in middle infielders and relief pitching.

Freddy Sanchez and Jack Wilson are available and the Pirates are listening to offers. The Twins and Red Sox scouted the Pirates-D'Backs contest yesterday.

According to Orlando Cabrera," Slusser writes, "when the A's played Minnesota last week, every time Joe Mauer or Justin Morneau got on base, they'd say, " 'We're trying to get you! We want to get you here!'"
    But, Slusser also adds this: "An A's source told The Chronicle last week that the Twins' offer wasn't what Oakland was looking for. Minnesota sounds motivated enough to have improved the offer, but it's also possible that it would take a multi-team deal to make it happen."
    Former Cyclone great (selected to the school's HOF a few years ago) Larry Corrigan is sure to be a key figure in any negotiations between the Twins and Pirates. He is currently a key member of the Pirates' organization after spending a number of years as a highly regarded member of the Twins' front office.

Pittsburgh Pirates: Front Office

Rookie
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

It would be fitting for Bill Smith to cost the Twins Mauer because he is so myopic that he can't see Brian Duensing and R.A. Dickey aren't they answer.

Guerrier's arm is going to fall off if they don't get someone to take the heat off by Friday.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Kovacevic has updated his previous report, saying that "primary" talks about Sanchez have been with the Giants, and they "were believed to have intensifed last night." But Kovacevic says the Twins are still in the mix as well.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 100.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 144
    Given: 113

The Cubs and Twins seem to settle for second tier helpers whereas Cards went for the big one, Matt. No, I am not a Cards fan....

CFH HMagic bball season next year.
    Let my Fred's Four Horsemen ride: Georges, Hogue, Nader, and McKay.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

I think the difference is the Cubs don't have a lot of high minor league talent and while the Twins do have good talent they don't have a big payroll

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Multiple people have informed us that Freddy Sanchez was a healthy scratch from the Pirates' lineup tonight, and Henry Schulman at the San Francisco Chronicle is "getting more hints" that a trade is on the horizon, though it's not clear to whom. He cites the Giants and Twins as the top suitors. Stay tuned

Pro
    Level completed: 60%, Points required for next Level: 405
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

You should probably start linking your posts, as you are directly cutting and pasting entire blurbs.

MLB Rumors - MLBTradeRumors.com

Speechless
    Overall activity: 24.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 274
    Given: 175

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley View Post
    The Cubs and Twins seem to settle for second tier helpers whereas Cards went for the big one, Matt. No, I am not a Cards fan....
    The Twins really have no need for a player such as Holliday, certainly not at that price tag - their outfield is hardly the problem on this team. The major issues with this team is finding a solution to the outright offensive holes that exist at both 2B and SS - Sanchez (2B) and/or Cabrera (SS) both bat around .280, which is a SIGNIFICANTLY better option than what they are currently fielding right now in Punto (.210), Casilla (.180), and Harris (.260). They could also use more pitching, but that's another discussion.

The Twins don't need more star players at this point (which is what Holliday is) - they need to fill the existing holes with quality role players.

Chuck Lidell: I paint my toenails with pink and black polish. Problem is, I get more paint on my toes and on the carpet than on my nails. Any advice?
    Maria Sharapova: Don't you beat up other guys for a living? I don't know how to answer this.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 39%, Points required for next Level: 1,165
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 11
    Given: 8

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley View Post
    Yes, the Twins should be trying to gut themselves and go after the best out there regardless of the position even though they don't need it, you're right. By the way, you owe the Tampa Bay Rays $1 for your profile.

Quote Originally Posted by jdoggivjc View Post
    The Twins don't need more star players at this point (which is what Holliday is) - they need to fill the existing holes with quality role players.
    No way man, we need more Delmon Young...

I will be so happy if they can get Sanchez here and ship Casilla off

Hall-Of-Famer
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by jdoggivjc View Post
    The Twins really have no need for a player such as Holliday, certainly not at that price tag - their outfield is hardly the problem on this team. The major issues with this team is finding a solution to the outright offensive holes that exist at both 2B and SS - Sanchez (2B) and/or Cabrera (SS) both bat around .280, which is a SIGNIFICANTLY better option than what they are currently fielding right now in Punto (.210), Casilla (.180), and Harris (.260). They could also use more pitching, but that's another discussion.
    I bet Harris continues to see a lot of time at 3rd as well because Crede is going to continue to need time off with his shoulder.

Pro
    Level completed: 19%, Points required for next Level: 1,474
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 12
    Given: 28

I posted this on a Pirates message board earlier...

I know there is a predicament with trading Sanchez and Wilson. Their market value is way less than their contract value. So, if the Pirates were to trade either of them to a team straight up, the prospect(s) would be mid-to-lower level. This would break the promise that the Pirates are making good "baseball moves" and moves not motivated by money.

But...

If the Pirates trade either of these two and take on some of the payroll in order to get a top-flight prospect I think people should start to see the light. I am one that hopes this happens. I think the Pirates are more than two years away and don't think either will be around long enough to see the Pirates win. Thus trading either/or for a prospect, hopefully a high-level prospect, seems to be the way to go.

Starter
    Level completed: 86%, Points required for next Level: 103
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

The Twins need middle relief help and the division is theirs.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Small moves that could make a big difference | FanNation

Minnesota Twins: I believe the Twins' last in-season trade happened under Clark Griffith and involved the team picking up a twirler to back Walter Johnson. That said, is there a team that could more badly use a Garko-type for a position? Twins second basemen are hitting .183/.272/.231. Former Twins ace Johan Santana has a career slugging average of .255, by way of comparison.