Cyclone42

Any astronomy enthusiasts here?

Omaha.com - The Omaha World-Herald: Metro/Region - Shuttle, space station shining

I found this article. I think it would be interesting to see the shuttle/space station moving across the sky. I've never gotten around to doing something like this, partly because all the light pollution in Omaha makes skywatching difficult, and partly because I know nothing about astronomy so I have no idea where to look.

If someone could give me some tips on where and when to look to find the shuttle and space station, I'd appreciate it.

Walk On
    Level completed: 49%, Points required for next Level: 306
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Re: Any astronomy enthusiasts here?

We saw it the other night while camped out during Ragbrai. I'd start looking about 10:15 to about 10:35, find the big dipper, it is usually in that area or a bit to the west of it. It stands out big time, and fades out after about 15 seconds.

There can be only one.

CF Founder
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    Your first GroupVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 307
    Given: 154

Check to see if there are any astronomy clubs, parties etc as those things usually treat newbies really well and answer questions, share scopes, etc to see if it's something you'd like to do more with - or even just for a one time viewing.

I used to be a member (for a short time) of the Ames Area Amateur Astronomers and there are similar clubs/groups/organizations all over if you look in the right places.

A program isn't built on one player and it doesn't succeed because of one player, thus a program won't fail if it doesn't get that one player.

Pro
    Level completed: 57%, Points required for next Level: 438
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 48
    Given: 52

Human Space Flight (HSF) - Realtime Data

No need to use telescope - naked eyes are the best as it moved really fast.
    I am quite lucky: my city has a "star watch" every first friday of the month (although only 4-5 people attend) organized by a real astronomer. Now my city is building a small observatory after getting a telescope donated by U of M Duluth.

If you like to do more than just looking at the ISS, I suggest you go to one of the observing sessions. At least it gives you a starting point. I used to think that I'll need telescope to enjoy the sky but now I am really happy to see skies and try to figure out the constellations using naked eye, though I never waste any opportunity to see the planets through telescopes.

Pro
    Level completed: 57%, Points required for next Level: 653
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Good website for ISS/satellite passes:

Heavens-Above Home Page

You can put in your location and get visible passes for the next 10 days. Best times for viewing are right before sunrise and right after sunset, as your location needs to be dark but the sunlight can still hit the station's solar panels and reflect the light back to you.

I've also heard that if you have a good telescope, you can make out the station's structural elements.

Last edited by superfan; 07-26-2009 at 05:50 PM.