Overall activity: 26.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 250
    Given: 107

not that it is done, any surprises?

I see that there are 24 guys signed and rivals only had 19 listed last night, so, are the other 5 guys surprises or not.

It looks like a lot of big boys, that is for sure. It is also clear from the number of JC OL that GC has little or no faith in the returning guys.

Mariner Moose
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 5
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 185
    Given: 588

Re: not that it is done, any surprises?

I was surprised by a couple of linemen that joined the rest of the commited fellas this morning and early afternoon. Best of luck to all involved!

Rookie
    Level completed: 8%, Points required for next Level: 741
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 8
    Given: 3

Quote Originally Posted by CyCloned View Post
    It looks like a lot of big boys, that is for sure. It is also clear from the number of JC OL that GC has little or no faith in the returning guys.
    Good point. Having watched our OL get basically run over and their heads handed to them by just about every team on our schedule last year,and those guys must have been better than the reserves. There's no reason to think that any coaching staff would have faith in the reserves.

I bleed Cardinal & Gold

Starter
    Level completed: 96%, Points required for next Level: 29
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 3

Would you have faith in those guys if you coached them or they were blocking for you? I'm glad he went out and got a bunch of big guys. It will be nice to have 300lb+ lineman and big DE's and not just linebackers playing the position of rush end for the most part.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.9%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 775
    Given: 488

Quote Originally Posted by kurimski View Post
    Would you have faith in those guys if you coached them or they were blocking for you? I'm glad he went out and got a bunch of big guys. It will be nice to have 300lb+ lineman and big DE's and not just linebackers playing the position of rush end for the most part.

You mean Tom Schmeling might not start?

Let my Fred's Posse Ride: Georges, Naz, Hogue, Bryce, Nader, Monte, Matt, and McKay.

Addict
    Level completed: 91%, Points required for next Level: 189
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 44
    Given: 61

Hope these guys can gel quick.

Prospect Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up
    Given: 0

With 4 JUCO linemen already in school I like our chances to be much improved on the OL next year. Not only do they have 9 months to get stronger they also have spring practice to learn the new offense. I think we have a chance to be much better this season although I am not sure the record will reflect it. Think 08 which I think has a chance to be pretty special.

Addict
    Level completed: 37%, Points required for next Level: 1,142
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 254
    Given: 182

Quote Originally Posted by CyCloned View Post
    Well, consider that there is one of five returning starters on the line: Tom Schmelling.

You cannot expect a lot outta the backup lineman, i think this also shows Chizik has a LOT of faith in the other position players, because he wants to fill the holes right away this year with juco guys bcuz he believes he can have success right away. I am not sure it will translate into lots of wins and being in the championship race again in the first year, but '08 and '09 both have tons of potential, but you never know. Chizik could surprise a lot of people this year. I love the recruiting work he did in the trenches, cuz the line play on both sides of the ball is what did us in last year.

GO CYCLONES!!!

Starter
    Level completed: 61%, Points required for next Level: 316
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

One thing about the line is that it seems that most of our current marginal talent is best fit for the guard position. Schmeling and Stephens, both guards, are probably the most talented guys we've got coming back, and JC's Blaes and Alvarez seem to be best suited for guard as well.

McMahon would seem to be a lock at center unless they take a crack at moving one of these previously mentioned men to center.

At tackle, we have the likes of Tibbs, Dedrick, and Vargas. Tibbs played some last year and has good size so who knows. Dedrick is said to have to put some weight and muscle on his frame to be ready and Vargas would seem to be the wildcard...and don't count out a possible position switch from "Tuba" either. The HSers we got seem to have the frame to play on the outside, but who knows if they are ready for this level of competition. Hopefully the staff finds a way to put the best 5 guys on the field.

Last edited by MaxPower57; 02-08-2007 at 12:39 AM.

Addict
    Level completed: 37%, Points required for next Level: 1,142
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 254
    Given: 182

Quote Originally Posted by MaxPower57 View Post
    At tackle, we have the likes of Tibbs, Dedrick, and Vargas. Tibbs played some last year and has good size so who knows. Dedrick is said to have to put some weight and muscle on his frame to be ready and Vargas would seem to be the wildcard...and don't count out a possible position switch from "Tuba" either. The HSers we got seem to have the frame to play on the outside, but who knows if they are ready for this level of competition. Hopefully the staff finds a way to put the best 5 guys on the field.
    from what i saw from him at the end of last year, I really liked the look of Tibbs...he can straight overpower guys at 325 and seems to be very good in the run game. played with a lot of energy too, which god knows we needed to be energized last year.

All-Star Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up

As long as one of the Juco transfers isn't nicknamed "Big Cat", I'm really okay with this recruiting class. Sometimes, group of outsiders will gel quicker than people who have been here awhile when new leadership takes charge.

Walk On
    Level completed: 26%, Points required for next Level: 374
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

We have had plenty of big OL players over the past years. WE have a roster full of 6' 5" 320 lbers that aren't as quick as they need to be. Unfortunately they weren't as powerful as they needed to be either. I see the JUCO's as being smaller and quicker then the remaining roster. Not that 290lbs is small, but look at last year and we have quite a few 320 lb plus kids on the OL. As juniors coming in, I guess there will be some limits on what they will be able to put on as additional weight, but look at the 40 times they have. They look to be much quicker then the team last year on the line. Only time will tell, but I look for a quicker back being able to get to the line of scrimmage before they get hit next year. Unfortunately we were getting hit behind the line of scrimmage to much in the recent past.

Bench Warmer
    Level completed: 26%, Points required for next Level: 519
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

I am a firm beleiver that games are won or lost in the trenches. It is crucial for our offensive and defensive lines to play solid. I think that McFarland has to bring in a good blocking scheme that is simple yet effective. With new coaches and a new system, everybody on this team will have a lot of learning to do. A positive thing to look forward to is that we still got some great skill position players on this team. If we could put together a solid offensive and defensive line for the next season. We will be in excellent shape to put together a decent season.

All-Star
    Level completed: 58%, Points required for next Level: 428
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 20

Quote Originally Posted by puckwarrior View Post
    We have had plenty of big OL players over the past years. WE have a roster full of 6' 5" 320 lbers that aren't as quick as they need to be. Unfortunately they weren't as powerful as they needed to be either. I see the JUCO's as being smaller and quicker then the remaining roster. Not that 290lbs is small, but look at last year and we have quite a few 320 lb plus kids on the OL. As juniors coming in, I guess there will be some limits on what they will be able to put on as additional weight, but look at the 40 times they have. They look to be much quicker then the team last year on the line. Only time will tell, but I look for a quicker back being able to get to the line of scrimmage before they get hit next year. Unfortunately we were getting hit behind the line of scrimmage to much in the recent past.
    Yeah, and our guys were thick and tall last year. Don't know why Mac didn't just have 'em lay down head to toe...at least the defense would've had to climb or jump over them to get to Meyer.