Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 4

Next Weeks Buick Open (golf) to be last

Next week's Buick Open, one of the oldest events on the PGA Tour, will be the final version of the event, with General Motors pulling its sponsorship after 51 years, Golfweek reported.
    Tom Pernice Jr., a member of the Tour's Player Advisory Council, and a second, unnamed source, said the Tour planned to formally announce a new sponsor and venue the week after the July 30-Aug. 2 tournament is played, according to the report.
    Pernice said he could not identify the new sponsor, but confirmed that next week's Buick Open will be the last. Tiger Woods is in the field for the tournament, which starts Thursday at Warwick Hills Golf Club in Grand Blanc, Mich.
    "Buick doesn't have the finances; GM can't afford it," Pernice said, according to the report. "From a perception standpoint, you can't lay off all those people and then sponsor a golf tournament."
    "They've supported us forever. It's been a huge part of the Tour. I think a lot of people knew the writing was on the wall," Pernice told Golfweek.
    Larry Peck, Buick-GMC's national promotions manager, acknowledged that difficult decisions lay ahead but "nothing has been finalized" about the Buick Open, according to the report. "Right now, we're concentrating on putting on a world-class event," he said to Golfweek.
    The decision also raises questions about the Buick Invitational, which is held early in the season at Torrey Pines Golf Course in San Diego and has been sponsored by the automaker since 1992. The sponsorship contracts for both tournaments run through 2010, Golfweek reported.

Yet another sad story about the economy

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 46%, Points required for next Level: 927
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 34
    Given: 41

Re: Next Weeks Buick Open (golf) to be last

"Buick doesn't have the finances; GM can't afford it," Pernice said, according to the report. "From a perception standpoint, you can't lay off all those people and then sponsor a golf tournament."

And so it goes; the recession is getting deeper and wider; probably a few more also. The LPGA is trying to fire their commissioner after losing so many sponsors and events canceled.

I predict, by next this time next year there the great American sports industry is finally (if not already) gonna start unraveling and suffer it's first recession.

"We are first and foremost an educational institution that values integrity, honesty and treating others with fairness and respect".

-ISU President Gregory Geoffroy; circa May 2003.

All-Star
    Level completed: 7%, Points required for next Level: 938
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4
    Given: 0

While I don't wish financial stress on anyone, some impact on these overpaid athletes would be a welcome site. Maybe it would help them appreciate the dollars they earn. While I am not talking about all pro athletes, many who are already more than fairly compensated that speak publicly about deserving more money disgusts me.

I think their fame and fortune can give them a sense of entitlement.

Legend
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 98
    Given: 72

Quote Originally Posted by Balls View Post
    While I don't wish financial stress on anyone, some impact on these overpaid athletes would be a welcome site. Maybe it would help them appreciate the dollars they earn.
    I would love for professional athlete salaries to be reset to sane levels. However, the first cuts in professional sports will be (and have already been) made in lower salary and support staff, and I don't know if there has yet been any effect on athlete salaries. The latest NBA free agent dealings don't seem to indicate any major salary cuts.

As further evidence that things are not all rosey in the pro sports world, Jerry Jones was not able to find a sponsor for his new staduim.

Also, it wouldn't hurt my feelings to see the top end of major college head football coach salaries take a dive...

"Don't worry Boss...they can't do nothin' 'til they're through sparklin'..."

Avatar - America's new superhero...Cenex Guy