Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast
    Addict
    Level completed: 14%, Points required for next Level: 1,556
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation First ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 0

Bicycle accident on RAGBRAI

RAGBRAI cyclist crashes into road grader | DesMoinesRegister.com | The Des Moines Register

Based on the furor over the last few vehicle/bicycle accidents. Based on some of the comments, I'm wondering what people have to say about it.

Evidently, this wannabe Lance Armstrong-lite idiot was "racing", head down in the wrong lane, and ran into a nearly stationary road grader.

I'm baaack! See my Hot Milk For Breakfast blog under Social Groups for more details

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 341
    Given: 102

Re: Bicycle accident on RAGBRAI

Quote Originally Posted by Phaedrus View Post
    RAGBRAI cyclist crashes into road grader | DesMoinesRegister.com | The Des Moines Register

Based on the furor over the last few vehicle/bicycle accidents. Based on some of the comments, I'm wondering what people have to say about it.

Evidently, this wannabe Lance Armstrong-lite idiot was "racing", head down in the wrong lane, and ran into a nearly stationary road grader.

When you typed this, my initial reaction was to assume it was my brother, who is on RAGBRAI, and fits the description to a T. But then I saw it was yesterday, I would have heard by now.

Last edited by Al_4_State; 07-25-2009 at 08:08 AM.
    In 1984, I was hospitalized for approaching perfection.

Pro
    Level completed: 30%, Points required for next Level: 770
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 8
    Given: 2

Pure moron.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 71%, Points required for next Level: 465
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 11

Talking to the guys I'm driving for they heard that the guy didn't hear the "car ahead" warning and plowed right in to it. Say what you will about vehicles vs bikes but this one was clearly hid mistake.

Wide Right & Natty Lite - Loyal Sons, Forever True. With beer!

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 71%, Points required for next Level: 465
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 11

Few more comments on this. Left lane riding on ragbrai is common. Even for the non "Lance wannabes". The speeds of cyclists vary so greatly that sometimes you don't have much of a choice. I'm not a world class bicyclist by any means, nor do I try, but I found myself in the left lane a number of times last year.

Second, this guy gashed his head real bad. Bad enough that by many accounts he was lucky to have his skull left.

Wide Right & Natty Lite - Loyal Sons, Forever True. With beer!

Addict
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 131
    Given: 201

As an avid cyclist that cycles year round on iowa roads, my comments are: do you have a point?

A guy was stupid. Ran into road grader. Stupid people do stupid things-ouch for him. Next 'issue'.

As far as depth goes though, the combination of White, Woodbury, Olaseni, Basabe, and Uthoff is much better than Niang, Ejim, Edozie, Gibson. Not because of the top 2, but because of the next 2 or 3. -DeanVogs

Addict
    Level completed: 28%, Points required for next Level: 1,166
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 36

There are always going to be fringe idiots. Lets not judge all bicyclists on the actions of one.

ISU Grad 1997.
    ISU Fan for Life.

Not in CO anymore but I'm not changing my name :)

Addict
    Level completed: 79%, Points required for next Level: 380
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 64

Quote Originally Posted by jmb View Post
    As an avid cyclist that cycles year round on iowa roads, my comments are: do you have a point?

A guy was stupid. Ran into road grader. Stupid people do stupid things-ouch for him. Next 'issue'.
    I think it was a pre-empted strike against the "It's RAGBRAI's fault" argument. With what has happened over the last few years the rider or the rider's family typically blames RAGBRAI or the county for what the rider does on the road. By coming out early that it was obviously the rider's fault it clears things up before they get ugly.

Addict
    Level completed: 27%, Points required for next Level: 1,476
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 39
    Given: 36

well, there you go. we should cancel RAGBRAI and ban all cyclists in Iowa. Good thing no one freaks out about stupid car drivers or we'd be back to horses...until someone stood behind theirs and got bucked.

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by d4nim4l View Post
    Few more comments on this. Left lane riding on ragbrai is common. Even for the non "Lance wannabes". The speeds of cyclists vary so greatly that sometimes you don't have much of a choice. I'm not a world class bicyclist by any means, nor do I try, but I found myself in the left lane a number of times last year.

Second, this guy gashed his head real bad. Bad enough that by many accounts he was lucky to have his skull left.
    exactly. left lane riding is common. and for good teams (such as mine) it works very well. You use the left lane as you are going a lot faster and want to avoid the slow riders so they don't break your cadence (iowa isn't flat) and also to avoid the novices who do very unpredictable things like veer out at the most inappropriate time without warning. The left lane saves a lot of accidents on ragbrai. a good team only comes out when they know what is ahead and keeps all members informed of upcoming and rear traffic. This guy was clearly an idiot but it hardly applies to all riders. In fact, the fact that an accident is an event on RAGBRAI is really a testiment to how safe it is considering 20,000+ riders participate at some point and a large percentage aren't experienced riders.

Addict
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 73
    Given: 10

I'm all for biking, but after RAGBRAI came through Indianola, I've been less than pleased with the whole thing. My dad had a $3,000 trailer stolen, and my 85 year old grandpa had his car vandalized (a big black rubber mark all along the passenger side). Some of these people have such a big superiority complex, I wish more of them would run into these road graders.

The artist formerly known as SouthernHawk

Addict
    Level completed: 14%, Points required for next Level: 1,556
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation First ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2

Quote Originally Posted by CyinCo View Post
    There are always going to be fringe idiots. Lets not judge all bicyclists on the actions of one.
    The point is, that the bicyclists that ride like idiots are not a fringe minority. They are the overwhelmingly great majority. And until that is fixed, I will continue to point out the hypocrisy of the rabid "motorists are murderers" b.s. that they spew every time a car hits a bike.

Quote Originally Posted by everyyard View Post
    exactly. left lane riding is common. and for good teams (such as mine) it works very well.
    Here is my point exactly. Your "good team" are a bunch of purposeful law-breakers. I don't care about what challenges other bicyclists pose to you. That's your problem, and I expect you to deal with it within the law. If you cannot, police should crack down on it.

Just like they are expected to crack down on irresponsible motorists.

But the great majority of bicyclists are too "special" and arrogantly self-absorbed to be bothered by obeying the law.

I'm baaack! See my Hot Milk For Breakfast blog under Social Groups for more details

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by SplitIdentity View Post
    I'm all for biking, but after RAGBRAI came through Indianola, I've been less than pleased with the whole thing. My dad had a $3,000 trailer stolen, and my 85 year old grandpa had his car vandalized (a big black rubber mark all along the passenger side). Some of these people have such a big superiority complex, I wish more of them would run into these road graders.
    So someone hooked up a $3,000 tailer to their bike and pedalled off? Impressive.

ISU Grad 1997.
    ISU Fan for Life.

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

The point is, that the bicyclists that ride like idiots are not a fringe minority. They are the overwhelmingly great majority. And until that is fixed, I will continue to point out the hypocrisy of the rabid "motorists are murderers" b.s. that they spew every time a car hits a bike.

Here is my point exactly. Your "good team" are a bunch of purposeful law-breakers. I don't care about what challenges other bicyclists pose to you. That's your problem, and I expect you to deal with it within the law. If you cannot, police should crack down on it.

But the great majority of bicyclists are too "special" and arrogantly self-absorbed to be bothered by obeying the law.
    last time I looked, cars were allowed to pass other cars in the left lane as well. It is not illegal.

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

OK, so why aren't 60% (overwhelming majority) hitting tractors?

ISU Grad 1997.
    ISU Fan for Life.