Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 93
    Given: 30

Hub City brewery

I had a friend from the UK in town and he wanted to try a local beer. The only thing available at the local liquor store was from the Hub City brewery in Stanley, IA (I was hoping they would have some bottled Old Main Beer). We got a 6 pack of the Amber Ale and it was literally the worst beer I have ever tried. It had an overpowering sour flavor that lead me to believe that it was somehow contaminated. It was so strong that I'm not sure how it could have passed any type of QA/QC. All six bottles were the same, so it had to have been the whole batch that went bad.

Anyhow, I thought this would be a good question to ask on a Friday afternoon. Anyone else had any experience or insight to share on this beer?

Walk On
    Level completed: 20%, Points required for next Level: 485
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Re: Hub City brewery

I wasn't a big fan of it either, but I do enjoy their wheat. I think my favorite Iowa beer is Millstream's Schild Brau.

Addict
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 2
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 21
    Given: 10

I've heard nothing but bad stuff about it, and the 6er sampler of stuff I tried was some of the worst beer I've ever had. I couldn't even tell the difference between the amber and the stout. That's not a good thing.

I heard from John's grocery's beer guy that they started off with decent stuff, but they've had some pretty serious QC/distribution issues lately. It's just a couple of (hog?) farmers who started brewing beer.

To me, it seems they have some sort of infection going on and they need to nuke what they have and start from scratch.

I'd love to see more breweries in Iowa, but Hub City needs some serious help in order to put out beer that is even passable as swill.

"Homemade beer, after all, is like a democracy. Every so often, youíre gonna hate what comes out of it. But when itís good, itís the best." - woot.com

Pro
    Level completed: 28%, Points required for next Level: 1,156
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 17
    Given: 8

Quote Originally Posted by jumbopackage View Post
    I've heard nothing but bad stuff about it, and the 6er sampler of stuff I tried was some of the worst beer I've ever had. I couldn't even tell the difference between the amber and the stout. That's not a good thing.

I heard from John's grocery's beer guy that they started off with decent stuff, but they've had some pretty serious QC/distribution issues lately. It's just a couple of (hog?) farmers who started brewing beer.

To me, it seems they have some sort of infection going on and they need to nuke what they have and start from scratch.

I'd love to see more breweries in Iowa, but Hub City needs some serious help in order to put out beer that is even passable as swill.
    This pretty much. It's the only beer I've seen my husband pour down the drain. And he'll put up with some crappy beer.

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by MoreCowbell View Post
    This pretty much. It's the only beer I've seen my husband pour down the drain. And he'll put up with some crappy beer.
    Yep, this was the first six pack of beer that I have ever poured out. It was surreal!

All-Star
    Level completed: 8%, Points required for next Level: 921
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran10000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second Class
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 8
    Given: 47

their oatmeal stout was so god aweful i didn't even finish it .... looked like chocolate milk, it tasted like bad coffee and sat in my stomach like a loaf of bread .... i could only finish about 6oz of a 16 oz mug ... worse money ive ever spent on beer

Winners' Never Quit and Quitters' Never Win

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 79%, Points required for next Level: 436
    Overall activity: 38.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 908
    Given: 221

We sell quite a bit of Hub City and I've only had 1 or 2 complaints. I talked to one of their sales reps a few months back and he said they basically shut production down, bought all new equipment and have started pasteurizing the beer now. I guess depending on where you get it, it may not be the freshest stuff. The brown ale and stout were decent when I tried them.

Olde Main still needs a lot of work too. Millstream is good most of the time but once in a while gets pretty skunky. Some of the better Iowa beer I've tried is from a brewery in Northwood but they don't distribute.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 26.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 903
    Given: 554

Maybe it went skunky or was way past its lifespan and was no longer fresh?

Sometimes you'll find beer that has been sitting at the store way longer than it should be. Heck I found a lone case of Bud Dry at a bait shop in Southern Missouri just like 3 years ago.

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by ribsnwhiskey View Post
    We sell quite a bit of Hub City and I've only had 1 or 2 complaints. I talked to one of their sales reps a few months back and he said they basically shut production down, bought all new equipment and have started pasteurizing the beer now. I guess depending on where you get it, it may not be the freshest stuff. The brown ale and stout were decent when I tried them.

Olde Main still needs a lot of work too. Millstream is good most of the time but once in a while gets pretty skunky. Some of the better Iowa beer I've tried is from a brewery in Northwood but they don't distribute.
    I'm glad to hear that. I pretty much figured that it was getting spoiled once it got in the bottle due to an infection somewhere along the line. There's no way that anyone who knows beer would put their name on a product like that.

I haven't tried it lately, but I'll give it another shot in a few weeks.

"Homemade beer, after all, is like a democracy. Every so often, youíre gonna hate what comes out of it. But when itís good, itís the best." - woot.com

All-Star
    Level completed: 8%, Points required for next Level: 921
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran10000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second Class
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 8
    Given: 47

Quote Originally Posted by CloneIce View Post
    Maybe it went skunky or was way past its lifespan and was no longer fresh?

Sometimes you'll find beer that has been sitting at the store way longer than it should be. Heck I found a lone case of Bud Dry at a bait shop in Southern Missouri just like 3 years ago.
    hard for it to go bad when i tried it because it was from the tap not in a bottle ... o well maybe in a year or so ill get that taste out of my mouth and try something else of theirs ...

Winners' Never Quit and Quitters' Never Win

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by ribsnwhiskey View Post

Hmm it's possible, but I bought it at the Hy Vee liquor store in Spirit Lake which I think moves alcohol pretty quickly this time a year. I know some of the smaller breweries can have a lot of variation between batches, which is why I wanted to see if it was an isolated incident. I'd be open to trying it again sometime, not sure if I'd buy it for myself though.

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by StormnClone58 View Post
    hard for it to go bad when i tried it because it was from the tap not in a bottle ... o well maybe in a year or so ill get that taste out of my mouth and try something else of theirs ...
    Beer can go bad in kegs too. If there's an infection somewhere in the process, it can get into cans or kegs or anything else you use to package the beer.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 68%, Points required for next Level: 551
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 124
    Given: 305

Quote Originally Posted by jumbopackage View Post

I consider myself fairly knowledgeable on good beer and I purchased the sample 6 pack from Cyclone Liquors 4 days ago and have so far tried three of the beers. I drink a lot of stouts and I thought their Oatmeal Stout was actually quite good. Maybe they have things figured out, this is my first experience with them and I'm pleased. I will say that the amber was sub-par, but not as bad as has been described. I've tried far worse beer.

Last edited by cyfan964; 07-24-2009 at 03:28 PM.
    Now that MBB is back, do we still have to pretend that WBB matters?

-acgclone

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by cyfan964 View Post
    I consider myself fairly knowledgeable on good beer and I purchased the sample 6 pack from Cyclone Liquors 4 days ago and have so far tried three of the beers. I drink a lot of stouts and I thought there Oatmeal Stout was quite good. Maybe they have things figured out, this is my first experience with them and I'm pleased. I will say that the amber was sub-par, but not as bad as has been described. I've tried far worse beer.
    The sample 6 pack I tried, 5 of them I couldn't even figure out what style of beer it was supposed to be. Watery, soapy, sour. Just plain bad "beer". Bad enough I would have probably drank a Coors Light over it.

The 6th - I don't recall which one it was - was a bit better, but still pretty bad. That's like saying you'd rather take home Rosie O'Donnell over Roseanne Barr though.

From my experience with them, I'd have taken it to a "bad beer" party and probably won (unless someone found some Gluek Ice somewhere).

I hope your experience is more indicative of what is to come from them.

All-Star
    Level completed: 55%, Points required for next Level: 364
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 78

Quote Originally Posted by mwoodley13 View Post
    I think my favorite Iowa beer is Millstream's Schild Brau.
    Good stuff