Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 8

Lance Armstrong to form own team next year

Lance Armstrong and RadioShack are forming a new cycling team that will compete in next year's Tour de France.The seven-time Tour winner, who returned to cycling after 3 1/2 years of retirement, also said Thursday he expects to take part in running and triathlon events for Team RadioShack beginning in 2010.

"RadioShack has agreed to partner with us on this venture and ensure that this partnership and this team stays alive for years to come, continues to be at the head of the peloton," Armstrong said in a video on his Livestrong Web site.

The 37-year-old Texan is riding this year's Tour with the Kazakh-funded Astana team. He was in third place overall after Thursday's time trial, 5 minutes and 25 seconds behind teammate Alberto Contador.

"It's a huge opportunity for us as an organization and as a cancer survivor. It's pretty mega," Armstrong added after the stage in Annecy.
    In a statement released by RadioShack, Armstrong said he has had "a great season so far" but is hoping for an even better one next year.

"To be able to compete for an American team comprised of the world's top cyclists, supported by the best coaches and staff I couldn't be happier," he said.

Armstrong did not indicate who else might join Team RadioShack, but he's expected to build a squad fully devoted to his ambitions. Armstrong has spent much of this year's race in support of Contador, who is expected to join another team next season.

"I heard that Lance was launching a new structure," Contador said. "But I just want to concentrate on winning the Tour and we will see afterwards."

Garmin-Slipstream's American manager Jonathan Vaughters, a former Armstrong teammate, said that none of his riders will join the new RadioShack team.

"All our riders but one will be under contract next year," Vaughters said. "That rider is faithful to the team."

Armstrong also did not say whether his longtime friend Johan Bruyneel, Astana's current manager, would join his new team. Bruyneel was with Armstrong for each of his Tour victories.

Armstrong said RadioShack will help his Livestrong Foundation in its fight against cancer. He said the electronics chain, with about 35,000 employees in nearly 6,000 stores, can provide the resources to field a team that can compete in the world's premier cycling race.
    Cycling's governing body president Pat McQuaid welcomed the creation of the new team.

"It's excellent news because it is a new American team, and it's a new sponsor coming into the sport," McQuaid said by phone. "It's definitely good for cycling and for the development of the sport in America. Look at what Armstrong has brought to the Tour de France this year. He's bringing the fame again to the sport of cycling next year, that's a good thing
    McQuaid couldn't say whether the RadioShack team would be granted the UCI Pro Tour licence, which is given to 20 teams and allows them automatic entry into the most prestigious races.

"I know that they've had their application in on time, which is last Monday," McQuaid said. "It then goes through a process of evaluation and eventually the license commission takes a decision based on a variety of criteria. I don't involve myself in all that."
    Armstrong said other sponsors and partners will likely join his new team.

"The usual suspects will be Nike, Trek, maybe a couple others we are working on," he said.

Interesting I hope that he finishes on the podium this year and comes back and win it next year

Legend
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6
    Given: 1

Re: Lance Armstrong to form own team next year

Armstrong will be competing in the Leadville 100 (a 100 mile mountain bike race this August) and his post bicycling plans include triathlon competitions. I initially met Lance Armstrong competing against him in triathlons.

"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." Albert Einstein
    "If your worried about falling off the bike, you'd never get on" Lance Armstrong
    "Dress cute wherever you go, life is too short to blend in." Paris Hilton
    "Money is one of the greatest instruments of freedom ever invented by man." F.A. Hayek

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 66%, Points required for next Level: 524
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

He already called and asked if I would be on his team for next year.

Quote Originally Posted by CycloneErik View Post
    And I'm thinking that cycofan just made the air, baby!
    Quote Originally Posted by rworkman83 View Post
    I'll be honest, Cycofan1 sounds much older than what he makes me believe on here.

All-Star
    Level completed: 26%, Points required for next Level: 674
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 21
    Given: 22
    Quote Originally Posted by Cycofan1 View Post
    He already called and asked if I would be on his team for next year.
    What did you tell him? You had to ask your mummy if it was ok? You do realize you will be made fun of if you wear your footy pajamas on the tour don't you?
    Posted via Mobile Device

Pro
    Level completed: 74%, Points required for next Level: 371
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 12
    Given: 19

I hate to say it b/c I really like Lance Armstrong but I think he will never win another Tour de France again.

Legend
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Tank View Post
    I hate to say it b/c I really like Lance Armstrong but I think he will never win another Tour de France again.
    Even if Lance Armstrong never wins another Tour de France his performance in this year's Tour has been nothing short of remarkable. There are so many cyclists that would love to accomplish what he has done this year. He may no longer be the best but he isn't far from the top, and he has done this at an age that was considered impossible for a cyclist.

Last edited by alaskaguy; 07-24-2009 at 12:12 AM.
    "If your worried about falling off the bike, you'd never get on" Lance Armstrong
    "Money is one of the greatest instruments of freedom ever invented by man." F.A. Hayek

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Yeah I don't think that he will win another tour but I'd love to see him do it. I would have been interesting to see if Armstrong wouldn't have been Contadors teammate how this tour would have been different.

Pro
    Level completed: 63%, Points required for next Level: 415
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 6

Quote Originally Posted by alaskaguy View Post
    Armstrong will be competing in the Leadville 100 (a 100 mile mountain bike race this August) and his post bicycling plans include triathlon competitions. I initially met Lance Armstrong competing against him in triathlons.
    I'd be interesting in hearing about that. Was that when he was in high school, or younger?

Legend
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by CyPride View Post
    I'd be interesting in hearing about that. Was that when he was in high school, or younger?
    He attended Plano High School (a suburb of Dallas, Texas) and was the best triathlete in the area while he was still a high school student.

Just Win Baby
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 8
    Given: 2

IMO he is a cheater. I know there is no proof but when ex teammates call you out....well

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

I will be interested to see who he gets as a team as most of that team will either stay with Astana and the rider coming back from a dopping ban or go their own way be interesting seeing who ends up there

Recruit
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Quote Originally Posted by Clones85' View Post
    IMO he is a cheater. I know there is no proof but when ex teammates call you out....well
    Yep. Every one of the other top bicyclers got caught but I'm supposed to believe the best of all of them - a guy who came back from cancer - is clean?? Uh hu, suuuuuuurree!!

Much like Pujols. Sorry Albert but there's maybe a 0.0000001% chance you're clean. You have to be naive to think he's not juiced, just like Armstrong.

Pro
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by alaskaguy View Post
    He attended Plano High School (a suburb of Dallas, Texas) and was the best triathlete in the area while he was still a high school student.
    I'm familiar with all of that, I've read his books. The books never chronicled the alaskaguy's viewpoint of LA during this time - I was hoping for a candid story or two.

Pro
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by hurdleisu24 View Post
    I will be interested to see who he gets as a team as most of that team will either stay with Astana and the rider coming back from a dopping ban or go their own way be interesting seeing who ends up there
    Astana will come back and form themselves around Vinokourov - who the team was originally built for, until he got himself a 2 year doping ban. Astana will be a whole new team next year.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by CyPride View Post
    Astana will come back and form themselves around Vinokourov - who the team was originally built for, until he got himself a 2 year doping ban. Astana will be a whole new team next year.
    that was the guy I was thiking of just couldn't remember the name. There are also 2 other big named sponsers forming teams next year along with Armstrongs so may be tough getting into the tour next year