Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ross Marsden...

Prospect Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Ross Marsden...

...would have been held scoreless during the halftime show last night. Last year I tried to defend the guy, but mono aside, he has to be one of the worst basketball players I have ever seen at this level. He should never see a minute over Corey Johnson or Jessan Gray. What does he do? Good defense? NO Good offense? NO He just stands there, and at best, doesnt completely f'up. Thank you, Wayne Morgan for tying up a scholarship on him.

Who are you George Costanza? I am the opposite of every man you've ever met.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 16%, Points required for next Level: 1,274
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 42

Re: Ross Marsden...

Quote Originally Posted by ST8BRN View Post
    ...would have been held scoreless during the halftime show last night. Last year I tried to defend the guy, but mono aside, he has to be one of the worst basketball players I have ever seen at this level. He should never see a minute over Corey Johnson or Jessan Gray. What does he do? Good defense? NO Good offense? NO He just stands there, and at best, doesnt completely f'up. Thank you, Wayne Morgan for tying up a scholarship on him.

He does play good defense. Stuff that we don't notice. He's where he needs to be. Plays where he steps in and closes a lane don't get noticed as much since a guy that would have driven in for the layup just pulls it out and runs more offense. Playing good defense doesn't just mean blocked shots and 1on1 defense. Also, McDermott has said that he knows the offense better than anyone. It could be that the plays run smoother when he's out there. I've also noticed him getting more agressive lately. He actually goes after a rebound and doesn't just wait for it to get to him.

Also, if Morgan didn't recruit him, people would just be complaining that Morgan didn't recruit Iowa guys and let Mr. Basketball slip from under his nose.

You'd think with one of the worst players at the level, the worst point guard, a shooting guard with the worst basketball IQ, we'd be winless. We're not, so get a grip.

Last edited by clone52; 02-07-2007 at 09:33 AM.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 70.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 796
    Given: 528

We hope that McD can groom him. So far the only players that have been groomed further appear to be Jiri, Wes, Cory J, Curry, Ceasar, and Gray. Rahshon is the same or less. Ross has his own problems. Dodie and Corey and Mike fluctuate. Brock has retrenched. And the others have not stepped up to the plate yet. It is in the seventh inning.

Let my Fred's Posse Ride: Georges, Naz, Hogue, Bryce, Nader, Monte, Matt, and McKay.

Bench Warmer
    Level completed: 84%, Points required for next Level: 115
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6
    Given: 15

Come on guys, Jesus! We have a young inexperienced kid that did show many times last year that hes a good player.. You guys are forgetting that this kid is only a Sophmore.. He had fricken MONO!!! You become so weak that you can hardly stand up, let alone bang inside with the monsters of the Big 12! Come on, dont even start to rip on a kid that isnt even at full strength... Hes a hometown kid thats got alot of talent, WHEN he is 100%... Sorry to say boys i think that hes not gonna be at full strength till next year when he gets some muscle on his bones and doesnt have MONO! So ST8BRN get off the kids back, i gurentee that even with mono he would work you up and down the court so dont call a D-1 athlete and Mr. Basketball worthless!

Addict
    Level completed: 14%, Points required for next Level: 1,731
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 8
    Given: 8

Ross at times has shown flashes of being a decent role player but he's got to get a "mean streak" in him or something. He plays pretty good defense but he's a big zero on offense lately and won't even make a move to the basket when they get the ball to him in good position. He's taken a total of 13 shots, and made 9 of them in 16 games. That's not even a shot a game and he's averaged just over 9 minutes a game. One shot every 11 minutes. I'm not saying he should start chucking up shots just for the heck of it but there have been times he's got an entry pass to the post and immediated kicked it right back out. Even if he would take a couple dribbles or fake a shot it would at least get the defense to commit to him and not just lay off him because they know he won't shoot it.

Starter
    Level completed: 33%, Points required for next Level: 405
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Maybe with all of the depth down low that we hope to have next year we can get Ross to redshirt and hopefully be ready for competition by the time some bigs graduate.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Bryceman View Post
    We hope that McD can groom him. So far the only players that have been groomed further appear to be Jiri, Wes, Cory J, Curry, Ceasar, and Gray. Rahshon is the same or less. Ross has his own problems. Dodie and Corey and Mike fluctuate. Brock has retrenched. And the others have not stepped up to the plate yet. It is in the seventh inning.
    He's groomed Ceasar and Curry? They've hardly played and hit a few shots. I bet they would have hit those shots if any coach had put them in a game here and there. Also, I don't see where Wes, Cory and Jessan have been 'groomed'. Its really early to say they have been 'groomed'. I don't see much out of those three that I didn't see early in the year. Not that that's a bad thing, its just that you won't see much changes in a player's skill set during the year. What I have seen is players figuring out the system throughout the year, especially Jiri.

What I would like to see out of Wesley is better on ball defense and taking the ball to the basket more. And I guess he has done a better job taking it to the basket the past 2 games or so, so maybe he has been groomed.

By the way, for Wesley and Corey Johnson, its the top of the second inning. Coach's don't bring in freshmen and get them to peak by the end of their first season. They keep making improvements throughout their career.

Legend
    Overall activity: 24.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 337
    Given: 427

NO REDSHIRT FOR ROSS.

Get the most out of him right now. Don't waste a scholly for 5 years when you can Waste it for 4 years. They need to bring him in when we need to use some fouls or something. He can help us if he figures out what his role on the team is.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Knownothing View Post
    NO REDSHIRT FOR ROSS.

Get the most out of him right now. Don't waste a scholly for 5 years when you can Waste it for 4 years. They need to bring him in when we need to use some fouls or something. He can help us if he figures out what his role on the team is.
    What does he need to figure out? He comes in and is in the right spots on offense and defense. His talent is what is lacking, not his knowledge of his role on the team. He has shown improvement in rebounding. He's always boxed out pretty well, its just now that he's starting to attack the rebound instead of passively waiting for it.

Asst. Regional Manager
    Overall activity: 18.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 965
    Given: 861

Quote Originally Posted by ST8BRN View Post

Woah! Stop hatin' on Marsden! Its not like anyone claims or expects him to be the x factor to make us win games. He does a great job doing "statless" things. Many of Clark's and Wesley's rebounds come from Ross blocking out bigger guys. Granted he's a little timid, but its not like he's the reason we're losing. We're losing because we dont pass or move without the ball well. Ross works hard as anyone and just because he's not quite as athletic doesn't mean he doesn't deserve a couple minutes here and there. It doesn't help his confidence when fans that are supposed to be encouraging and cheering our players to grow are just raggin' on him.

@RandomGeoFacts

Legend
    Overall activity: 15.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 314
    Given: 198

Quote Originally Posted by travman23 View Post
    I'm not saying he should start chucking up shots just for the heck of it but there have been times he's got an entry pass to the post and immediated kicked it right back out. Even if he would take a couple dribbles or fake a shot it would at least get the defense to commit to him and not just lay off him because they know he won't shoot it.
    I agree. I played the post often, so pardon my bias, but anytime a post player of RM's height gets the ball in good postion (i.e. around the block area or middle of the key) and there is no double team imminent, a shot should go up. Take a couple of dribbles and shoot a jump hook. It's a hard shot to block, and a good one for drawing fouls because it can make the defender crawl over the shooter's body trying to get a block. Then once that is mastered, take a couple of dribbles, give a nice head fake to get the defender (who is expecting the jump hook) in the air, and proceed to the hoop for a monster dunk while the defender is uselessly hanging in mid-air.

Like takin' candy from a baby ...until the double team comes, at which point it's time to work on the passing skills....

Starter
    Level completed: 27%, Points required for next Level: 733
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 19

I'm with ST8BRN. I cringe anytime Ross takes the floor because he adds NO value to our roster. Enough with the "he does things we don't notice" crap.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 48.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 435
    Given: 276

Ross is struggling - period.

He is just not right physically and that's clearly hurting him. However, I wasn't impressed with his play before the illness.

I won't throw him under the bus as he didn't turn the ball over a bunch, take silly shots, wasn't the only one not hustling, etc.

But he isn't giving us the quality minutes I expected him to this year. Hopefully we'll see that change in '07. Otherwise, with what we have coming back and coming in next year - he'll be on the bench.

Starter
    Level completed: 3%, Points required for next Level: 681
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 3

Wouldn't it be great if by some miracle of a chance he turned into a Jared Homen or a Loren Meyer type of player? He's going to have to live in the gym though during the off season for that to happen. He needs to pack on some pounds.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 19.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 471
    Given: 139

Quote Originally Posted by joskvig View Post
    I'm with ST8BRN. I cringe anytime Ross takes the floor because he adds NO value to our roster. Enough with the "he does things we don't notice" crap.
    Thank you. I kept my eye on marsden when he came in last night, and i have to agree here. From what I observed, he did nothing, but get out positioned, swat a few balls around, and looked completely lost on offense. I thought coming in that he might be a good player for us, but so far I have yet to see anything productive.

In 1984, I was hospitalized for approaching perfection.