Should Jack Trice donor seating be changed...?
Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast
    Addict
    Level completed: 16%, Points required for next Level: 1,353
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Recommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 161
    Given: 4

Should Jack Trice donor seating be changed...?

I understand we just went through a massive overhaul in donor seating distribution, but all these mini-packs have got me thinking. Why specify a section as a specific donor amount? Why not take everyone's donations and seat the stadium solely based on that? Then you have the ends and corners of the stadium open for mini-packs, single tickets, etc.?

I have a feeling that specifying sections helps increase donations since someone would want to donate more so they can automatically get to a better section. Maybe this could be offset with bigger differences in benefits for the higher donation levels.

I think this is how most college stadiums do things anyway...?

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 18.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 379
    Given: 47

Re: Should Jack Trice donor seating be changed...?

Sounds like a great idea to me.

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. - Benjamin Franklin 1775

Legend Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 0

The only thing that bothers me about the packs is the Iowa game. There's no need for those to be on sale right now in any way, shape, or form. They've been sold out to season ticket holders forever, most likely would've been again this year. In selling them in these packs, you've taken yet another perk away from the donors on whom the programs rely. The value of being a donor is less and less, while the expectations go up and up.

Edit: Aside from the fact that JP has jacked the price up to an astronomical $92, they would be sold out to season tix holders, I mean. Another frustrating point. It would seem JP has priced at least this ticket out of many people's pocket.

Otherwise, whatever. Part of me thinks that the packs should be limited to non donor sections, but there really aren't any. Part of the benefit that you do get with a season ticket is the same seat every game, and the rights to that seat in seasons to come (or until they redraw the donor lines). That hasn't changed. And from the cursory look I've made into the pack seating, they aren't exactly the best seats around and would probably prevent me from getting one. (I'm not partial to field level).

Edit: It used to be that you got parking with your membership and season ticket. Still do, I suppose. Just the added benefit of "donating" another $50 which I'm sure is going up in the next year or two. Your membership only dictates the proximity of parking now.

Last edited by DaddyMac; 07-20-2009 at 02:16 PM.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 16.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 165
    Given: 38

NO

Speechless
    Overall activity: 16.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 165
    Given: 38

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue52 View Post
    I understand we just went through a massive overhaul in donor seating distribution, but all these mini-packs have got me thinking. Why specify a section as a specific donor amount? Why not take everyone's donations and seat the stadium solely based on that? Then you have the ends and corners of the stadium open for mini-packs, single tickets, etc.?

I have a feeling that specifying sections helps increase donations since someone would want to donate more so they can automatically get to a better section. Maybe this could be offset with bigger differences in benefits for the higher donation levels.

I think this is how most college stadiums do things anyway...?
    Doesn't work because people renew same seats year over year and then you end up with the mess we had before the reseating.
    The perceived problem will fix itself when we win games and demand goes up.
    Simple as that.

All-Star
    Level completed: 23%, Points required for next Level: 933
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience PointsSocial

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 18
    Given: 100

The day someone with a mini pack sits ahead or next to me is the day I seriously reconsider donating to the NCC. These mini-packs are rewarding those who've procrastinated and do not donate. I'm all for a full staduim, but please remember to reward those who are with you 100% from the very beginning.

Oh wait its the economy's fault? Then why the hell do I get outrageuos amounts of phone calls to donate? Don't they know its a bad economy.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 280
    Given: 32

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone06 View Post
    The day someone with a mini pack sits ahead or next to me is the day I seriously reconsider donating to the NCC. These mini-packs are rewarding those who've procrastinated and do not donate. I'm all for a full staduim, but please remember to reward those who are with you 100% from the very beginning.

Oh wait its the economy's fault? Then why the hell do I get outrageuos amounts of phone calls to donate? Don't they know its a bad economy.
    What's your basis for donating to the NCC?

If you donate because you want to, you should know that your donation is for a good cause (ISU Football). No one has a gun to your head forcing you to donate.

It rewards people like my parents who can't afford to go to every game, but occasionally can go. To say it rewards procrastinators is complete crap. Shockingly, some people aren't in a position to donate a ton of money, nor pay $60 for a 3 hour game. People who want season tickets have them. Be happy you have the disposable income to allow you to donate to the NCC. I hope someday I'm in your shoes and able to donate, but I'll donate because I want to.

Last edited by IcSyU; 07-20-2009 at 02:32 PM.

Rookie
    Level completed: 40%, Points required for next Level: 364
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6

[QUOTE=Cyclone06;1153267]The day someone with a mini pack sits ahead or next to me is the day I seriously reconsider donating to the NCC. These mini-packs are rewarding those who've procrastinated and do not donate. I'm all for a full staduim, but please remember to reward those who are with you 100% from the very beginning.

QUOTE]
    So are you saying if the last 6 rows of Section F for Cardinal donors (rows 10-15) do not have Cardinal donors to sit in them, they should be left empty? Or are you saying move States250 into those seats? If you do the latter, we will always have "floating" seats and everyone is subject to move year after year which few would like.

All-Star
    Level completed: 79%, Points required for next Level: 284
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 17

Quote Originally Posted by isuno1fan View Post
    Doesn't work because people renew same seats year over year and then you end up with the mess we had before the reseating.
    Simple as that.

Over time any reseating goes out of kilter. So, you do a complete reseating every 3-5 years, then in donor order.

Our problem is:
    1. We have 3,500 prime seats off the table for reseating (original donors).

2. We have only re-ndexed not done a full reseating (see 1)

If we do that, a lot of this goes away.

Legend Achievements:
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by IcSyU View Post

If you donate because you want to, you should know that your donation is for a good cause (ISU Football). No one has a gun to your head forcing you to donate.

It rewards people like my parents who can't afford to go to every game, but occasionally can go. To say it rewards procrastinators is complete crap. Shockingly, some people aren't in a position to donate a ton of money, nor pay $60 for a 3 hour game. People who want season tickets have them. Be happy you have the disposable income to allow you to donate to the NCC. I hope someday I'm in your shoes and able to donate, but I'll donate because I want to.
    I was under the impression that we had to meet certain donation levels to sit in certain sections. That's the way it's sold on the order form and on the seating chart.

I support ISU. But certainly don't want to just give that money up. But I said I wanted to sit here, and that's what it costs.

Seems that's not what it costs any more. May as well save myself around a $700-$8000 and get pretty much the same seats - at least according to the seating charts.

One other thing - how many people did JP tick off a few years back when the Jack Trice "original" donors lost their exemption for the donations that built the stadium? How many people lost their seats due to the re-indexing, that may have had them for 10,20,30+ years. People who bought and came to games through NCAA infractions and the worst D1 football record of a decade.

Now mini packs with no donation what-so-ever are getting those seats?

Quote Originally Posted by isuno1fan View Post
    No offense - but that's been the pitch since at least as far back as when I graduated in '94.

Last edited by DaddyMac; 07-20-2009 at 02:44 PM.

All-Star
    Level completed: 79%, Points required for next Level: 284
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 17

Donor benefits and structures should be followed as listed. Otherwise everyone wills start to discount and downgrade.

Someone who donates should have first crack at tickets if that is what was stated.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 280
    Given: 32

Quote Originally Posted by DaddyMac View Post
    I was under the impression that we had to meet certain donation levels to sit in certain sections. That's the way it's sold on the order form and on the seating chart.

I support ISU. But certainly don't want to just give that money up. But I said I wanted to sit here, and that's what it costs.

Seems that's not what it costs any more. May as well save myself around a $700-$8000 and get pretty much the same seats - at least according to the seating charts.
    Again, no one is making you donate a thing. If you want to, don't donate, and hope they have the packs available. While every Cyclone fan greatly appreciates your donation, be happy you're donating to make a difference. I would love to be in your position to donate. Be happy to have the opportunity. Be happy there are people in the seats and they aren't empty.

Does American Eagle always sell clothes at full cost? No. The people that want them get first dibs (donors) and the people that wait for them to hit clearance have to hope for the best they can get in regards to size and style (non-donors). You sell to maximize profit, and that's what we're trying to do.

Last edited by IcSyU; 07-20-2009 at 02:45 PM.

Pro
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

Props for this. I can say that I am in way over my head in bills, and as much as I'd love to have season tickets (had them for the last 7 years), I simply cannot afford both Football and Basketball.

I hope to one day be in a position where I can donate and have season tickets for Football again.

Items like the mini-packs may allow for me to go to a few games instead of none.

I don't drink the Kool-Aid, and I am done making excuses. Only keeping it real...

Speechless
    Overall activity: 62.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 874
    Given: 607

The mini packs were selling seats for Iowa in Sections D and F this morning.

Let my Fred's Posse Ride: Georges, Naz, Hogue, Bryce, Nader, Monte, Matt, and McKay.

Legend Achievements:
    Thumbs Up

Again, no one is making you donate a thing. If you want to, don't donate, and hope they have the packs available. While every Cyclone fan greatly appreciates your donation, be happy you're donating to make a difference. I would love to be in your position to donate. Be happy to have the opportunity. Be happy there are people in the seats and they aren't empty.

Does American Eagle always sell clothes at full cost? No. The people that want them get first dibs (donors) and the people that wait for them to hit clearance have to hope for the best they can get in regards to size and style (non-donors). You sell to maximize profit, and that's what we're trying to do.
    No - the chart states quite clearly that if you want to sit in N, you better fork out $250 - $500.

So by that published standard, I have to donate that money.

I'm not asking for any recognition and I don't deserve any - for a variety of reasons. But I agree with the idea that the people who bought this pitch where it was said "if you want to see here, it costs X" feel hoodwinked.

Fact is, JP and the ticket office just probably set themselves up for a worse fall in memberships and up front season ticket sales next season in "giving the milk away". Fewer people will want to buy the cow.