Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4
    Given: 0

What are sites to see in Montana and Utah

We are leaving NW Iowa to Glacier Nat'l park and also through Yellowstone.
    We do have places to stay. My wife has iternary. Do you have sites or places to go out there that we should not miss. Thanks for any additions or ideas you may have.

Pro
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 118
    Given: 5

Re: What are sites to see in Montana and Utah

I was a big fan of Arches National Park in Utah. It's probably up your alley if you're headed to Glacier and Yellowstone, although maybe those two national parks are enough for one trip! Here is a link in case you want more info.

TRUE AND VALIANT

Legend
    Overall activity: 44.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 711
    Given: 1,110

I do not know too much about the tourist aspect, but things I have enjoyed doing in MT (no particular order):

Smoke Jumpers Museum in Missoula. Missoula is home to U of Montana, and is also a major regional city- so it is a cross between a college town and your typical "country-western" city.

Bannack- an old ghost town in SW MT- there is a small museum
    Virgina City is closer to Yellowstone, but is still a town and more commercial.

Lemhi Pass, SW MT, debated to be the headwaters of the Missouri River. If you are not into hiking, it is still pretty easy (close to the road) to reach, and you get a feel of what MT looks like off the road.

Elk Horn Hot Springs in SW MT-there are more "commercialized" places closer to 90 between Bozeman and Glacier, but I enjoy the rural/local feel of this one. If too out of the way or rustic, there is Fairmont right-off 90 (by Butte). It is more little kid friendly, but is like any other hotel with a pool imo, as are the good ones by Glacier, Missoula, and Bozeman.

Butte has the huge Berkeley Pit that some people enjoy visiting- I have enjoyed downtown Butte's restaurants/cafes

Whitewater tubing anywhere, but the Bozeman area has many good spots. No skill required, and 50% of the time I have seen Black bears.

Fishing- I am not much of a fisherman, but even I enjoyed the fishing. I prefer mountain lakes over stream.

Anaconda-Pintler Scenic Route- a 60-70 mile alternative to 90 between Butte and Missoula. There are some hot springs near historic Anaconda/Phillipsburg, as well as Granite City ghost town.

My main expertise would be in the hiking/camping areas from Missoula down to Idaho. While working in MT, I got the most pleasure just traveling on back-country roads (unless in a Forest Service vehicle,- probably stay on paved ones) to "towns" of a few buildings, and exploring the thousands of trails out there.

If you are traveling 90, I would recommend at least driving through The Badlands (if you have not already). I enjoyed hiking around out there more than a visit to Mt. Rushmore. Many times the people I have been with want to stop at Wall Drug east of Rapid City...maybe you have already been there. It is your standard tourist trap that at some point had an interesting story, and now... If you like Harley-Davidson, Strugis is worth it this time of year.
    I have only visited Utah a couple of times, but I thought a trip out to Antelope Island (in Salt Lake) was fun as a kid.

Send me a PM if you have specific questions.

Last edited by swarthmoreCY; 07-20-2009 at 04:14 AM.

Bench Warmer
    Level completed: 73%, Points required for next Level: 137
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

I lived in Utah for 12 years but I have to say, it's a LONG ways away from Glacier...

However if you do make it there, as a previous poster said Arches and Zion Nat'l Parks are SUPER cool!! Bryce Canyon is also sweet. If you want to stay in the northern part of the state there are some nice hikes in the Uinta mountains.

Uinta Mountains, Utah Travel & Vacation Guide

There's also some cool things to do in the Park City area like the Utah Olympic park where you can ride a bobsled on the olympic course. At Park City ski resort you can do alpine slide, zip line, etc.

There's some nice hiking in Big and Litttle Cottonwood canyons as well...

Have fun! The West is the best....

All-Star
    Level completed: 5%, Points required for next Level: 959
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 14
    Given: 21

Quote Originally Posted by safmusic View Post
    We are leaving NW Iowa to Glacier Nat'l park and also through Yellowstone.
    We do have places to stay. My wife has iternary. Do you have sites or places to go out there that we should not miss. Thanks for any additions or ideas you may have.
    oops read my next post.

Last edited by mkadl; 07-20-2009 at 07:30 AM.

All-Star
    Level completed: 5%, Points required for next Level: 959
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 14
    Given: 21

Mooses bar in Kalispell, MT. Sawdust on the floor, nascar on the wall, good pizza, you get the picture. Lake McDonald from the south end looking north, purple Mountain majesty!!! Take going to the sun road to the top of Logans pass. Many photo opprotunities. Glacier park is a hikers dream if you have the time, if you don't, just take the Cedar trail walk. The Marshall wilderness area is close to glacier. Kayaking if you are able or have time, there is a water park in Whitefish. Native American pictographs on the north side of the highway just west of Kila, MT. My sister lives south of Kila in the Mountains, a friend from Harlan has a vacation home next to them. My brother lives in Kalispell. PM me if you have specific questions. If you want a scenic route go north of Belle Fouche, and take highway 2 to Custer battlefield, it is a two lane road but you really get the feel of the OLD WEST bison country!!!

Last edited by mkadl; 07-20-2009 at 07:35 AM.

Thumbs Up
    Received: 2

If you go to Utah from Montana via I-15 it's worth a stop in Lava Hot Springs, ID if you've never done anything like that.

Also, SLC has a lot of things to see...you could a couple days there just seeing the Mormon tabernacle and all those sites. Salt mines are kind of a neat tour.

Addict
    Level completed: 79%, Points required for next Level: 361
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

If you're going to be in Westen Utah, the Bonneville Salt Flats along I-80 are pretty neat. They look like a big white desert, and there are rest areas set up on either side, and you can walk out into them if you want.

I never went out and saw the actual speedway, but from what I've read about it, the land salt flats are so "flat" that due to the curvature of the Earth, you can't see one end of the track from the other.

Salt Lake is a beautiful city.

Legend
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6
    Given: 1

Quote Originally Posted by st8phan View Post
    However if you do make it there, as a previous poster said Arches and Zion Nat'l Parks are SUPER cool!! Have fun! The West is the best....
    There is no debate that the West is the best.

The highlight of Zion is hiking down/up the Virgin River. The water is ice cold but eventually your legs adapt (turn blue).

"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." Albert Einstein
    "If your worried about falling off the bike, you'd never get on" Lance Armstrong
    "Dress cute wherever you go, life is too short to blend in." Paris Hilton
    "Money is one of the greatest instruments of freedom ever invented by man." F.A. Hayek