Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Liriano in exchange for Sanchez on table?

Rumored in Star Tribune (even if its sid, its still printed) that the Twins could get Freddy Sanchez from the Pirates in exchange for Liriano.

I'm intrigued by this idea because it gets the Twins a 2B who isn't taking the shuttle bus between Minneapolis and Rochester every other week, and would offer a firm base in the middle of the infield.

Liriano still puzzles me, especially with these past few months as he's shown flashes of brilliance (St. Louis/Detroit games the past few weeks) along with the epic fail that was the first few months, along with is occasional gopher-ball-fests.

Legend
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 183
    Given: 34

Re: Liriano in exchange for Sanchez on table?

They should have gotten FLop when they had the chance...

Follow me on Twitter at twitter.com/MarkHanrahan20

Check out my blog
    http://markhanrahan.com

and tune into "Extra Innings" Thursdays at 6pm on 1460kxno

Addict
    Overall activity: 32.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 264
    Given: 6

I don't think the Twins will do it. Liriano gives them a left-hander. Their only other option is Perkins, who has not exactly been shining this year. I just don't see it, plus honestly I think the Pirates would want more. Sometimes Sid gets a little wild. If Joe C. or LaVelle reports it, it might have some legs.

I do hope they do something to fill second base, and some relief pitching. I think they have to make some moves this season, or in the off-season, or they may not be able to keep Mauer. If he thinks the club is not going to make the moves to contend for something more than the Central, he may go the route of Santana and Hunter. Smith will get crucified by the fans if that happens.

This would have been a good team with Santana, Hunter, Bartlett, and even Garza still there instead of Harris, Young, and Gomez.

Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Dryburn View Post

This would have been a good team with Santana, Hunter, Bartlett, and even Garza still there instead of Harris, Young, and Gomez.
    I can see keeping Bartlett and Garza, but there was no way the twins could have even thought about being in a position to sign mauer/morneau if they had tried to keep Hunter and Santana.

Agree completely on the Bartlett and Garza point though. Pretty sure that deal (unless Harris starts raking like a 4th grader trying to earn money) is just karma catching up with the Twins after the Boof/Liriano/Nathan for AJ deal.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 68%, Points required for next Level: 418
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 20
    Given: 14

Any discussion of Lariano for Sanchez has to have been more wishful thinking by the Bucs rather than anything that the Twins would have seriously considered. Lariano has slowly been making progress and has not come close to reaching his post-op ceiling. He may never get back to the franchise/ace level, but he can be a solid #2-3 type guy.

I'm assuming that the Twins are out of the Sanchez derby now that they have signed Mark Grudzielanek. If he has recovered from the ankle injury, he could make a contribution down the stretch. He might be 39, but he should have something left in the tank. You don't hit .300 for the last 3 years and suddenly forget how to hit. At the very least, he gives the Twins a fallback option if Casilla doesn't get back on track.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 82%, Points required for next Level: 290
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 14
    Given: 48

ooh....that signing of Grudzelanek doesn't sound bad. but i wonder why he hadn't played all year...and why no one else had stepped up to sign him by now? this looks like a typical twins move....we'll see if we bought a lemon or something decent this time. i guess if we call him up, he'll be hard pressed to underperform our current situation..i think something like .190 avg.

Asst. Regional Manager
    Overall activity: 31.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 937
    Given: 851

I'm pumped to watch the Twins on ESPN tonight. Let's get the sweep!!

@RandomGeoFacts

Recruit
    Level completed: 34%, Points required for next Level: 330
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

I'm not a Twins fan but Sanchez is 32. I Highly doubt they trade Liriano for an aging 2b.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 51.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,115
    Given: 796

Quote Originally Posted by TommyTalknSport View Post
    I'm not a Twins fan but Sanchez is 32. I Highly doubt they trade Liriano for an aging 2b.
    the reason why I would seriously consider it is because I'm not sure Liriano is the same pitcher since the Tommy John surgery. There are times when he looks good, but there are also times when he looks awful. Regardless, he's not the same dominating pitcher he was in his rookie season. His dominating slider just isn't the same.

Besides, knowing the Twins organization I doubt they would trade Liriano away if they didn't have a lefty in the organization that they thought was about ready to break into the lineup. Let's just say I wouldn't be upset one way or the other.

Chuck Lidell: I paint my toenails with pink and black polish. Problem is, I get more paint on my toes and on the carpet than on my nails. Any advice?
    Maria Sharapova: Don't you beat up other guys for a living? I don't know how to answer this.

Recruit
    Level completed: 34%, Points required for next Level: 330
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by jdoggivjc View Post
    the reason why I would seriously consider it is because I'm not sure Liriano is the same pitcher since the Tommy John surgery. There are times when he looks good, but there are also times when he looks awful. Regardless, he's not the same dominating pitcher he was in his rookie season. His dominating slider just isn't the same.

Besides, knowing the Twins organization I doubt they would trade Liriano away if they didn't have a lefty in the organization that they thought was about ready to break into the lineup. Let's just say I wouldn't be upset one way or the other.
    When I first read this thread I thought it was a pretty even trade. I thought Sanchez was like 27 TOPS. Shows how much I know, I just doubt that the Twins will give up Liriano for a 32 year old

Rookie
    Level completed: 24%, Points required for next Level: 688
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Why would they trade away a young left handed pitcher...who is still on a low money contract...for a second baseman that is making 7-8 million right now? They cannot tie up that kind of money right now without Mauer having an extension. Mauer will only take so much of a hometown discount.

They have a plethra of players who are Rule V draft eligible this offseason and if they know they are probably going to lose them, package a couple together and get some relief help. Second base is not hurting us in the field. All the offense in the world won't help if we can't get the ball to Nathan with a lead.

Also, Garza wanted out of Minnesota. He wasn't a good clubhouse guy from what reports were saying and the split seemed to be mutual.