Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 391
    Given: 154

In the dumps after that one

How totally dissappointing.

We obviously weren't going to win the Big 12 this year or make the NCAA tournament. But as a true fan, I still watch every game. I watch to see players develop. I watch to see the team develop. Win or lose in a season such as this, I at least want to see some improvement. Instead, we had to sit through that nosedive.

Can anything smash your face in the mud faster than to watch Iowa State lose at home by 22 to a team we already beat on the road?

So many easy baskets given up. So many turnovers. So many bonehead moves. And all at the halfway point of the conference season. I can't say that the coaching has impressed me a whole lot lately, either, but I'm going to bite my lip on that topic for now and put it on the players.

Thank god for Dodie, Wesley, and CJ...they're as far along, if not further along, than our juniors as freshmen. After this game, I'm wanting to throw Taylor, McIntosh, Clark, and Hubalek (along with next season) away and just hope Brackins, Garrett, Staiger, Boozer, etc. are a major upgrade that will get us back to the top third of the league by at least 2008-09. After what I saw tonight, I have serious doubts that next year's seniors are going to take their play to a consistently higher level. I hope I'm wrong, but cripes...

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 23
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 50
    Given: 661

Re: In the dumps after that one

I agree these guys as seniors will be no better than they are right now. I just hope that the new blood will help, because this game was as bad as I have seen in a long time inside Hilton Coliseum.

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 51
    Given: 7

The only junior who will be any better next year is Jiri. Next year can't come soon enough as we will have a big influx of players that are much better than most of the players we have now. The only good that is going to come out of this season is Jiri developing and the freshman (especially Wesley).

GMac needs time and we all have to be patient.

Pro
    Level completed: 95%, Points required for next Level: 51
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 27
    Given: 3

What we need is a REAL GUARD. We don't have one. Period. NONE of our guys can distribute the ball in any sort of intelligent fashion.

Addict
    Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 1,335
    Overall activity: 18.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 311
    Given: 141

I didn't watch the whole game, maybe half, but saw 5 games worth of missed layups and horrible turn overs. Very disappointing.

Pro
    Level completed: 1%, Points required for next Level: 1,987
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

I am prepared for losses this year and next year. i was not prepared for tonight.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 79%, Points required for next Level: 296
    Overall activity: 24.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 391
    Given: 154

Quote Originally Posted by Enginerd View Post
    I am prepared for losses this year and next year. i was not prepared for tonight.
    Agreed...

All-Star
    Level completed: 67%, Points required for next Level: 441
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6
    Given: 1

Yeah that was definitely a tough one. I checked foxsports.com, espn.com and cbssportsline.com to make sure that was the real final score. I didn't get a chance to watch/listen to it, but it sounded like it was a horrible game.

Walk On Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up

Let's see...Nebraska wins AT Tech, this team that whooped us tonight played very well vs Kansas, Hawks win AT Michigan...The list can go on and on. At the highest level of college hoops, everybody has good players and everybody has good coaches and everybody has good fans and everybody wants to win. No doubt about it...this loss was no fun. But it doesn't mean that the world of Clone basketball is coming to an end. I heard Hubie Brown in a clinic say that over the course of a season, there will be 3 games in which you play so well, that you could beat EVERYBODY. There will also be 3 games in which you play so poorly that you couldn't beat ANYBODY. The rest are somewhere in between. Tonight was one of those nights. No big deal unless they play like this for the rest of the month.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 36.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 882
    Given: 621

Yeah, but we are up to 7 bad games.

I thought these thow aways should play like they are seniors for all the playing time they will get next year.

Yes, the UNI teams did fold at the end of regular season in past - they were honed down to a frazzle and never got to be Tough Enough until NCAA.

Last edited by Wesley; 02-07-2007 at 12:34 AM.
    Let my Fred's Posse Ride: Georges, Naz, Hogue, Bryce, Nader, Monte, Matt, and McKay.

All-Star Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley View Post
    Yeaah, but we are up to 7 bad games.
    OK we will try it this way then. Much like football is about winning in the trenches, basketball is about guard play.

The one point guard that we have, is still adjusting to the speed of the game, and the fact that he is playing against guys twice as strong as he is. We have an off guard running the point because he is the only person in the team that can create anything. The problem is that he only has a couple of guys that can help him out scoring wise, so he tries to do too much, out of necessity, and shoots the ball a lot. There is a reason that we have five guards coming in over the next two years.

You have to be able to get penetration to break down ANY defense, and we don't have anyone else, besides Mike, who can do that. So to compensate, you want to set a lot of screens. The problem is that this team is weak physically as well. Our guys continually get knocked off the ball, and there is nothing that can be done about that this year (maybe even next).

And concerning the statement by someone about how his UNI team faded...Three years ago they won 9 out of 11, Two years ago, they won 5 of their last 7, and last year when they did fade, it was because Eric Crawford broke his foot. They adjusted and played well through it, but then when he came back it disrupted a little of the chemistry, but you put him back in because he started every game he played at UNI.

Jeffrey A Crawford

Speechless
    Overall activity: 36.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 882
    Given: 621

However, UNI is definitely fading this year as they are losing at home. Eric was mentally tough. Who is mentally tough on this team. Jiri? Rahshon? Mike? Gray? Vorey? That's about it. Thaty is wgu A&M and Kansas State ripped our hearts out. They were mentally tough and wanted to pay the price. Nice guys can finsh last. Oe they can play like Creighton..

Let my Fred's Posse Ride: Georges, Naz, Hogue, Bryce, Nader, Monte, Matt, and McKay.

Facebook Knows All
    Overall activity: 30.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 677
    Given: 396

Quote Originally Posted by Prone2Clone View Post
    Thank god for Dodie, Wesley, and CJ...they're as far along, if not further along, than our juniors as freshmen.
    I hope that was a misprint beceause Corey Johnson is not even close to being ready for Big 12 basketball. He is too slow and can't jump to get a rebound. He got beat over and over and over again. Jiri had a terrible game but he was better than CJ.

This game was just plain frustrating. I got to sit 5th row, center court and it was even more frustrating being that close.

I thought this game was Mac's worst coaching job of the season...at least in the 2nd half. He was coaching hard but the players just wouldn't listen or follow his direction. And then in the 2nd half when they went on their big run, he just gave up. You could see it in the way he was walking around the sidelines. He was more frustrated than any of us. But I hadn't seen that "I give up" attitude in him before.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 240

I doubt he gave up. I was actually 10th row center court yesterday, and I thought that he was doing it because nobody was listening to him. I think it was more like, "fine, don't listen to me, and get embarrassed on your own floor".

I just hope the team responds and keeps listening to him.

Facebook Knows All
    Overall activity: 30.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 677
    Given: 396

Quote Originally Posted by BryceC View Post
    I doubt he gave up. I was actually 10th row center court yesterday, and I thought that he was doing it because nobody was listening to him. I think it was more like, "fine, don't listen to me, and get embarrassed on your own floor".

I just hope the team responds and keeps listening to him.
    But it sounds like you saw what I saw...frustration. He was trying to tell his players where to be and no one listened.