Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

A CHANGE IN ATTITUDES

As I thought about writing this I had to think about what forum index to put this in. As I looked down the list, I never saw a category that said "WHINERS".

I think for the most part everyone that contributes on here deep down wants the Cyclones to do well. We want to go to bowl games in football, we want to make NCAA appearances in basketball, and we want like heck for top recruits to come to Iowa State. Unless I am wrong, these would be the wishes of most fans at the schools they follow.

I have been a Cyclone fan since 1970. I was in junior high, and went to my first football game at Clyde Williams. I was even recruited by Iowa State (Earle Bruce), but declined because I thought I possibly might not make it. But I have remained a Cyclone for 39 years, and I have to say that a great deal of the fans of this school are always negative. And have been for ages.

Iowa football sucked so bad in the 60's, that the word suck doesn't even do justice. And they sucked in the 70's till 1979. That's when Hayden Fry came on the scene. Hayden refusedto accept being mediocore. He chastized the press so bad after they nearly beat a good Indiana team and the press was all giddy about what a good game they played, and Hayden grabbed the microphone and scolded the press that they, along with fans accepting near misses, were the reason the Hawkeyes didn't win in the past, and they weren't going to until everyones expectations and attitudes changed. And that was a wholesale change. That is exactly when the Hawks became a formidable opponent year after year in football.

As I read this board, there are a number of Cyclone fans that sincerely want to get better and do what they can to make that happen. But the majority on here just frickin complain. "Barnes won't come to Iowa State". "Our stadium isn't 12th, we are at least 10th." "Our defense sucks so bad that we might not win a game". "Pollard needs to go".

I could go on and on. But the reason we lose alot is because that is exactly what our expectations are. And that overall expectation has become our so-called KARMA. We love to be negative, and give reasons why we can't do this or do that. C'mon people, change your tones, and start being positive. Expect to be NDSU by 35. Demand Barnes come to ISU, and create an atmosphere that would make Harrison question why he would go anywhere else. Make JTS the top place to play on Saturday by just the mere fan participation. Change your expectations and you'll get others changing theirs.

Remember when we played Florida State in Kansas City? We owned that place, and truthfully, our football team didn't have near the talent theirs did, but short of a very questionable call, we could have or should have won that game. That stadium before hand was electric. When those busses rolled in, the ISU players became "jacked" out of their minds. The Florida State players were initimidated. I know because I talked to one of their grad assistants that said they about crapped at the "fanatics" in red.

You want to win? Do what you can to win. Give what you are capable of giving. Create a positive enviroment for all to participate. Give Iowa State your best instead of your middle finger. Quit making excuses, but rather make an example for others.

I Eexpect the following:

1.) Football------I expect to win at least 7 games every darn year, and be bowl elgible 2 out of every 3 years.

2.) Men's Basketball-----------I expect barnes to sign with the Cyclones and for fans to create such a media ruckus that Barnes takes notice. If he reads this board, he doesn't even know where he is going, just not Iowa State. Get Barnes here, and get him here NOW.

3.) Womens Basketball-------It is no longer acceptable to just be in the top half of the Big 12. Thanks Coach Fennelly for making us that. But now we want to contend for a national title. We'll do what we have to within the rules, but we want to compete for that elusive title.

4.) Wrestling---------Years ago, we owned that sport, and a former Cyclone stole it and took it to Iowa City. That is unacceptable, we want it back. When you hear the words college wrestling, I want the automatic thought to be Iowa State Cyclones. Screw Gable, he sold us out. I want Iowa State to dominate.

No more excuses, no more pathetic whining. I am going to open my wallet for another $100. I am going to buy tickets. I am going to get friends to join me. And I am going to make Ames, Iowa the place to be on football Saturday, or GameDay Basketball. I am going to treat our President and AD with respect and get behind them instead of complaining about every damned thing they did wrong.

My shorts will be Cardinal and Gold. GO CYCLONES

All-Star
    Level completed: 66%, Points required for next Level: 314
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Re: A CHANGE IN ATTITUDES

Quote Originally Posted by yoteforever View Post
    ..."Barnes won't come to Iowa State". "Our stadium isn't 12th, we are at least 10th." "Our defense sucks so bad that we might not win a game". "Pollard needs to go".

We all know that no true Cyclone believes any of these things.

Go Clones!!
    Gig 'em Aggies!!
    Saw 'em off!!

Walk On Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up

I think it's somewhat ironic you scold fellow Clone fans for their negative attitude yet admit you turned down a chance to possibly play at our favorite school because you thought you might not be able to make it. Other than that I agree with the general point you're trying to make.

Pro
    Level completed: 84%, Points required for next Level: 280
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 8
    Given: 3

BRAVO!!!!!

Addict
    Level completed: 1%, Points required for next Level: 1,586
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 47
    Given: 59

Good stuff man, good stuff.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 1%, Points required for next Level: 1,585
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 12
    Given: 73

$ and W's are the only way that things at ISU are going to change. Fans contribute to both.

John Walters is my hero

All-Star
    Level completed: 44%, Points required for next Level: 566
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

+ as many as I can give

Pro
    Level completed: 84%, Points required for next Level: 185
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by CycoCyclone View Post
    $ and W's are the only way that things at ISU are going to change. Fans contribute to both.
    Get the Ws and the $ will follow. Coaches get Ws, not fans.

Who hires the coach?

Fry was Elliott's 3rd football coaching hire at Iowa, and he is on record for saying it most likely would have been his last i.e. he wouldn't be given another shot.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 104
    Given: 15

1.) Football------I expect to win at least 7 games every darn year, and be bowl elgible 2 out of every 3 years.
    You do realize 7 wins is automatically a bowl right?

3.) Womens Basketball-------It is no longer acceptable to just be in the top half of the Big 12. Thanks Coach Fennelly for making us that. But now we want to contend for a national title. We'll do what we have to within the rules, but we want to compete for that elusive title.

We will never compete for a national title. Not until All-Americans aren't essentially automatic to Duke, Rutgers, UConn, Tennessee, and Stanford.

4.) Wrestling---------Years ago, we owned that sport, and a former Cyclone stole it and took it to Iowa City. That is unacceptable, we want it back. When you hear the words college wrestling, I want the automatic thought to be Iowa State Cyclones. Screw Gable, he sold us out. I want Iowa State to dominate.

I'm by no means saying we shouldn't want to be the best, but good God you make it sound like we're a doormat. We are a top 3 program in the country.

Pro
    Level completed: 77%, Points required for next Level: 327
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

NOT JUST YES! BUT HELL YES!!!

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 1%, Points required for next Level: 1,585
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 12
    Given: 73

Quote Originally Posted by CyPride View Post
    Fans, like at A&M are truly the 12th man Getting behind the team sure helps them perform.

John Walters is my hero

Speechless
    Overall activity: 47.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 418
    Given: 212

I like this post alot.

The last 3 years of football and basketball have really brought down expectations. Heck, the majority of fans on this site now think it takes a real talented team with years under the same coaching staff to make it a lower tier bowl and win 6 or 7 games. It doesn't, all it takes is some decent players, a Good QB and a good coaching staff! We should expect to be bowling this year.

We should expect to be good this year in basketball as well! We have an All-American level big man returning, one of the Top JCs in the country coming in, and plenty of solid role players at all positions! We should expect success this year!

Speechless
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 104
    Given: 15

Quote Originally Posted by CyPride View Post

Who hires the coach?

Fry was Elliott's 3rd football coaching hire at Iowa, and he is on record for saying it most likely would have been his last i.e. he wouldn't be given another shot.
    Iowa State doesn't have that option. We're already wayyyy behind in $$$$. We need the $$$$ before anything else. W's will come with the dollars in the form of increased budgets.

Who hires the coach? Pollard. Pollard has put most of our coaches in pretty damn good positions to succeed. Our lack of results thus far isn't because we aren't trying. I highly doubt there is anyone at Iowa State working harder than that guy to reward the fans.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 23.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 82

What do you do when you're expectations/demands aren't met? I donate more than I probably should, my wife and I have gotten people to get tickets to MBB and FB with us, and I have a great time at the games for the most part. Obviously everybody on here wants ISU to do well. I don't get these posts.

Legend
    Overall activity: 16.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 84
    Given: 335

Quote Originally Posted by BryceC View Post
    Obviously everybody on here wants ISU to do well. I don't get these posts.
    That's because his expectations aren't the main point he's trying to make, which is for everyone to stop being so negative...

The opposite of drinking the KoolAid.

Paul Rhoads' players never quit.
    (They just disappear offseason)