Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 20
  1. #1
    All-Star
    Points: 18,473, Level: 41
    Level completed: 47%, Points required for next Level: 477
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    CB21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Sioux Falls
    Posts
    1,943
    Points
    18,473
    Level
    41
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Q&A With Antwon Oliver

    Go Cyclones - Q&A with Antwon Oliver

    I think perhaps he's starting to realize how tough it can be.


    Last edited by CB21; 07-14-2009 at 05:13 PM.

  2. #2
    Legend
    Points: 154,141, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 20.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Here nor there
    Posts
    11,187
    Points
    154,141
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 468
    Given: 641

    Re: Q&A With Antwon Oliver

    Some honest answers. As predicted by many, looks like a redshirt year will be beneficial. I think he has a good future, but I feel that way about most athletic freshman.



  3. #3
    Addict
    Points: 177,803, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 21.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    clonedude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    6,898
    Points
    177,803
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 254
    Given: 0

    Re: Q&A With Antwon Oliver

    I hope I'm dead wrong about this, but I think it was a big reach to take this kid? That's nothing against him personally whatsoever because he sounds like a great young man and I hope he proves me to be an idiot.

    However, I think GMac should have just pocketed this scholly. That's just my opinion. I think it was a last minute addition... similar to Clinton Mann. I just hope I'm wrong.



  4. #4
    Speechless
    Points: 433,238, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Ames
    Posts
    23,882
    Points
    433,238
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 156
    Given: 24

    Re: Q&A With Antwon Oliver

    Quote Originally Posted by clonedude View Post
    I hope I'm dead wrong about this, but I think it was a big reach to take this kid? That's nothing against him personally whatsoever because he sounds like a great young man and I hope he proves me to be an idiot.

    However, I think GMac should have just pocketed this scholly. That's just my opinion. I think it was a last minute addition... similar to Clinton Mann. I just hope I'm wrong.
    Why pocket something when we've had as many people leave as we have? Especially when it's not like we're the only school who has transfers every year...



  5. #5
    Legend
    Points: 179,898, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Aclone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Des Moines, Ia.
    Posts
    12,823
    Points
    179,898
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 164
    Given: 616

    Re: Q&A With Antwon Oliver

    Quote Originally Posted by clonedude View Post
    However, I think GMac should have just pocketed this scholly. That's just my opinion. I think it was a last minute addition... similar to Clinton Mann. I just hope I'm wrong.
    It was a last minute addition. And he's a heck of a lot better athlete, with better skills, than Mann ever was.

    Oh yeah--and Mann wasn't "last minute"...unless you count November as "last minute". So yes, you are wrong, all around.




    Paul Rhoads' players never quit.
    (They just disappear offseason)


  6. #6
    Addict
    Points: 133,152, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    cyismydog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    6,353
    Points
    133,152
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 14
    Given: 10

    Re: Q&A With Antwon Oliver

    Quote Originally Posted by clonedude View Post
    I hope I'm dead wrong about this, but I think it was a big reach to take this kid? That's nothing against him personally whatsoever because he sounds like a great young man and I hope he proves me to be an idiot.

    However, I think GMac should have just pocketed this scholly. That's just my opinion. I think it was a last minute addition... similar to Clinton Mann. I just hope I'm wrong.
    Clinton Mann was a Fall signee, so I have no idea where you're coming from?



  7. #7
    Pro
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Ames, IA
    Posts
    3,273
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Q&A With Antwon Oliver

    Quote Originally Posted by clonedude View Post
    I hope I'm dead wrong about this, but I think it was a big reach to take this kid? That's nothing against him personally whatsoever because he sounds like a great young man and I hope he proves me to be an idiot.

    However, I think GMac should have just pocketed this scholly. That's just my opinion. I think it was a last minute addition... similar to Clinton Mann. I just hope I'm wrong.
    Depends on the expectations and development. At this time last year, many of us (or at least I), thought that Hamilton would get redshirted, but he worked hard, put on muscle and didn't.

    I'm sure the expectation is for him to develop into a contributor, and if you're athletic, you have a decent chance at it if you're willing to work.


    I don't drink the Kool-Aid, and I am done making excuses. Only keeping it real...

  8. #8
    Pro
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Ames, IA
    Posts
    3,273
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Q&A With Antwon Oliver

    Bad formatting. The questions should be bold and the answers should be regular font. I expect better out of someone who writes for a newspaper.

    It also seems like every post that is made on this blog gets linked on this site. Isn't that against site rules or is this OK?


    I don't drink the Kool-Aid, and I am done making excuses. Only keeping it real...

  9. #9
    All-Star
    Points: 18,473, Level: 41
    Level completed: 47%, Points required for next Level: 477
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    CB21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Sioux Falls
    Posts
    1,943
    Points
    18,473
    Level
    41
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Q&A With Antwon Oliver

    Quote Originally Posted by mplscyclone View Post
    Bad formatting. The questions should be bold and the answers should be regular font. I expect better out of someone who writes for a newspaper.

    It also seems like every post that is made on this blog gets linked on this site. Isn't that against site rules or is this OK?

    If it was against site rules something would have been done about it a long time ago you would think. Considering every link/blog gets posted.



  10. #10
    Legend
    Points: 179,898, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Aclone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Des Moines, Ia.
    Posts
    12,823
    Points
    179,898
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 164
    Given: 616

    Re: Q&A With Antwon Oliver

    Quote Originally Posted by mplscyclone View Post
    It also seems like every post that is made on this blog gets linked on this site. Isn't that against site rules or is this OK?
    As I understand it, it's not linking that's a problem, it's extensively quoting copyrighted material.

    And sooner or later a mod will answer better...




    Paul Rhoads' players never quit.
    (They just disappear offseason)


  11. #11
    Speechless
    Points: 352,572, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    isucyfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Saint Paul, MN
    Posts
    19,868
    Points
    352,572
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 98
    Given: 2

    Re: Q&A With Antwon Oliver

    Posting a link is fine, posting a whole article/large portion of an article is not fine.


    Forever trying to find a cure for the Dunning-Kruger Effect.

  12. #12
    All-Star
    Points: 18,473, Level: 41
    Level completed: 47%, Points required for next Level: 477
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    CB21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Sioux Falls
    Posts
    1,943
    Points
    18,473
    Level
    41
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Q&A With Antwon Oliver

    Quote Originally Posted by isucyfan View Post
    Posting a link is fine, posting a whole article/large portion of an article is not fine.

    That makes sense.



  13. #13
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 92,486, Level: 94
    Level completed: 66%, Points required for next Level: 664
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Bader's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Ankeny
    Posts
    4,407
    Points
    92,486
    Level
    94
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 29
    Given: 20

    Re: Q&A With Antwon Oliver

    I think it's more his problem with the Trib's blog being "promoted" so much here, since so many articles are linked.

    Sounds like some sour grapes



  14. #14
    Addict
    Points: 177,803, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 21.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    clonedude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    6,898
    Points
    177,803
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 254
    Given: 0

    Re: Q&A With Antwon Oliver

    Quote Originally Posted by cyismydog View Post
    Clinton Mann was a Fall signee, so I have no idea where you're coming from?
    What's your opinion on Oliver cyismydog?

    I admit I was wrong about Mann.... I think it must have been Pomlee that was a late signee... and it's still to be determined if that was a good get or not? My bad.

    But hey... it's just my opinion... and I hope I'm wrong. I probably will be, who knows? I would love nothing better than for Oliver to be an All Big 12 performer.



  15. #15
    Legend
    Points: 154,141, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 20.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Here nor there
    Posts
    11,187
    Points
    154,141
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 468
    Given: 641

    Re: Q&A With Antwon Oliver

    Quote Originally Posted by clonedude View Post
    I hope I'm dead wrong about this, but I think it was a big reach to take this kid? That's nothing against him personally whatsoever because he sounds like a great young man and I hope he proves me to be an idiot.

    However, I think GMac should have just pocketed this scholly. That's just my opinion. I think it was a last minute addition... similar to Clinton Mann. I just hope I'm wrong.
    I am not cyismydog or anything more than just a Cyclone fanatic, but my thoughts on Oliver (reposted)...
    What not to like:
    1.) Anytime you are a player's only offer, you better have some good excuses (which I think we may), but excuse are still excuses until proven otherwise.
    2.)Could be a reason for 1.), but he is pretty thin. Although not a direct correlation, someone who is thin could have a hard time having the strength, toughness, and ability required to excel in the Big 12.
    3.) Grades. This is not a problem unless he gets here and flunks out. Could be given as a justification that he has the talent to garner other offers if otherwise.

    Things to like about Oliver:
    1.) Recently played with current team, Moore (a recruit at the time), and Ejim. Despite the following: a.) we didn't "need" to offer (like Iowa does a pg), b.) from Moore's offers he looks like a good get, and c.) the staff likes and has been after Ejim for months, they still chose to sign Oliver. (I know for a few of you, that just supports your theory McD doesn't have a clue what he is doing). They must really like what they saw in person.
    2.)Because of 1.), but yet no real other offers, I think it is logical to assume this player has improved as a prospect in the last few months (like growing a few inches), but we are one of the few that kept with him, and have seen him in person. Late signees have a higher failure rate- everywhere not just ISU. However, this staff has shown they can find some late quality talent: Taylor, WJ, and Dunson.
    3.) It is known he is a great athlete, and will be an up-grade over Eik (and most of all our backcourt). This is an area we know we need to improve.
    4.)From his stats it looks like he has a decent outside shot.
    5.) What is the worst that can happen?

    Overall I am like the other posters who feel he is worth the chance, but I am not going expect more than role player type minutes (although I am much higher on him then I was Lucca).


    Last edited by swarthmoreCY; 07-14-2009 at 10:28 PM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • TV: FOX
  • Iowa State vs. Baylor
  • September 27, 2014
  • 07:20 PM