Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Gazette article about message boards

Rabid fan interest in recruiting ridiculous
    What is the word on Garrett and Nickson? We need another cornerback for this class.’’

That’s a recent post from an Iowa Hawkeye website message board.
    ‘‘It’s no secret that the glaring weakness of the ‘07 squad was the offensive line. If we happen to land Baysinger, visiting this weekend, we’ll have the best OL class in ages. And I like some of the other athletes who are coming in.’

That’s a recent post from an Iowa State Cyclone website message board.
    The madness of the 2007 college football recruiting season comes to an end Wednesday with signing day. The past three months in particular have been an emotional roller-coaster ride for Iowa and ISU diehards, as they seek daily information on who is picking their school, who isn’t, who is committing, who is de-committing.

‘‘Do you know anything about ISU contacting Woody Terenne (#1 JUCO from Rivals. com)? . . . That would be a great pickup.’’

‘‘Hunter? Another site says we are HIGH interest now and that we are making a push for him . . . Does he have an offer? Is this a promise we made his brother?’’

It’s all quite ridiculous, really.

Explain how the casual football fan knows the difference between a great offensive line prospect and an average one. Explain how fans can get all worked up about kids they have never seen play.

Explain how Rivals.com, one of the self-professed recruiting experts, can differentiate between a defensive line prospect from Honolulu and one from Clinton, Iowa. Rivals assigns stars to each kid, ranging from one to five.
    It produced a sleek 192-page ‘‘recruiting yearbook’’ with profiles of more than 1,000 ‘‘top recruits.’’ Excessive? Oh, yeah.

‘From the sounds of this report, I’d say Osemele will decommit and join the Cyclones. A very nice pickup.’’

‘‘Reisner is a special teams player at Iowa or possible twodeeper at UNI. Bad move for him, depth move for Iowa.’’

No one knows how any of the kids who sign official letters of intent with Iowa and Iowa State on Wednesday will fare in their college careers.
    Repeat, no one knows. It’s pure speculation.

Guys who come in rated ‘‘one star’’ could end up being all-Big 12 or all-Big Ten. See Bret Meyer and Bob Sanders.

Guys who are ‘‘four-star players’’ could languish on the bench or be strictly special- teams players. See Chris Felder.

That makes all this website chatter, all these daily recruiting updates, meaningless. So relax, be patient and see how things work out in four or five years. Oh, and make sure to read The Gazette the next couple of days as we write stories about Iowa and ISU’s 2007 recruiting classes.

‘‘I’d hope that our coaches kept an eye out on Ty Bynum. The kid is a Pennsylvania recruit and seems very much like a DD-type recruit . . . It might be prudent for the coaches to check this kid out.’’ ‘‘Malcolm Johnson — Bartow, Fla. ISU is showing an early interest in this young man. I’d love for him to play for Chizik.’’

Whatever.

Contact the writer: (319) 398-8259 or jeff.johnson@gazettecommunications.com

Last edited by SlyCy; 02-06-2007 at 11:30 AM.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 73
    Given: 152

Re: Gazette article about message boards

Rabid fans, you say?

Facebook Knows All
    Overall activity: 16.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 188
    Given: 74

I don't read the Gazette nor do I care about what this guy says, thinks, or writes. I should write an article why people read his paper and his column and how ridiculous they are...

Facebook Knows All
    Overall activity: 16.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 188
    Given: 74

Quote Originally Posted by ISUFan22 View Post
    Rabid fans, you say?
    Actually I've had my shots so I'm good.

Addict
    Level completed: 6%, Points required for next Level: 1,510
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 29

Agreed, the casual fan probably doesn't know about these kids. And rivals and scout ratings can be way off. BUT, it is fun to discuss. That is what message boards are all about. We aren't pitching ourselves as experts. Its a fan site message board with FANs talking and sharing OPINIONs. I don't see the harm. If you don't like message boards, don't read them.

ISU Grad 1997.
    ISU Fan for Life.

Not in CO anymore but I'm not changing my name :)

Starter Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up

That's a sour grapes piece by the newspaperman. What the Gazzette and other papers will tell subscribers Thursday morning is "news" that message board readers have known for months, in many cases. Newspapers can't -- or won't -- devote the staff time to recruiting coverage. And they wonder why their circulation continues to plummet..

Pro
    Level completed: 54%, Points required for next Level: 516
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

Quote Originally Posted by joepublic View Post
    That's a sour grapes piece by the newspaperman. What the Gazzette and other papers will tell subscribers Thursday morning is "news" that message board readers have known for months, in many cases. Newspapers can't -- or won't -- devote the staff time to recruiting coverage. And they wonder why their circulation continues to plummet..
    Bingo. I know that the Register is awful when it comes to recruiting coverage, but the Nebraska media, in particular the Lincoln paper with their online blogs, has done a pretty good job with getting information posted when a kid gives a verbal commitment.

Any bets as to were in the sports section the Register puts it's signing day articles? I bet it won't be front page.

CF Founder
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Your first GroupVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 291
    Given: 139

Quote Originally Posted by joepublic View Post
    You sir are 100% correct.

While there are some in the media industry that realize there is room for many kinds of news outlets, there are still those that feel nothing is news until they print it in black and white on the frontpage of their paper.

I myself am a huge news junkie. I'll have a couple tvs going if there's a big story and I always have dozens of web pages up, half in different countries to get away from the bias and "censorship". I've always been incredibly interested in "current" events and the fact is you just can't stay up-to-date by reading only newspapers. It was fine in the old days but things evolve and so do the readers. It's no wonder that newspapers are downsizing and canning employees right and left. Until they realize they need to find other ways of getting readers, they're going to keep falling by the wayside. There is a need for print media but it's time some of the writers realize they aren't the only source of news anymore (not all, just some).

Even the Ames Trib realizes the fans want more recruiting news and more modern journalistic styles, ie Chris Williams and the great job he's doing there. I'm actually surprised the DM Register hasn't tried to get into that game a little more but they're big enough they can stay relevant without dipping their toes into the new-age media until others have tried and failed (or succeeded). They're covering things pretty well but I still think they could use a column by the fans themselves. I've actually said that to the editors before to no avail.

The fact is, reading print is somewhat dull to our new generation. If I read a newspaper, it's the online version. I don't recall the last time I touched an actual printed newspaper unless I printed the story out myself to take to the other room for a while

A program isn't built on one player and it doesn't succeed because of one player, thus a program won't fail if it doesn't get that one player.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 73
    Given: 152

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy View Post
    The fact is, reading print is somewhat dull to our new generation. If I read a newspaper, it's the online version. I don't recall the last time I touched an actual printed newspaper unless I printed the story out myself to take to the other room for a while
    Exactly.

The only time I do read a newspaper is if I'm in a waiting room for an appointment or something and it's there.

Otherwise it's online.

Personally I don't understand why many would pay for the paper these days.

Now if the DMR had some sort of web service that would almost automatically (I'd probably need to click print on a pop-up or something) print articles on my printer that were selected by preferences I put in - I'd probably be all over that.

Pro
    Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 408
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 17
    Given: 6

I love the irony. He's obviously spending time online reading recruiting sites, and on the other hand he's telling people that it is ridiculous to do just that.

CF Founder
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Your first GroupVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 291
    Given: 139

Quote Originally Posted by mt85 View Post
    I love the irony. He's obviously spending time online reading recruiting sites, and on the other hand he's telling people that it is ridiculous to do just that.
    I just thought about that, kind of blows his cover a bit. I'll have to watch for the user "gazettehypocrite"

A program isn't built on one player and it doesn't succeed because of one player, thus a program won't fail if it doesn't get that one player.

Pro
    Level completed: 54%, Points required for next Level: 516
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

Well, this fish hack is right about one thing, no one really knows how a recruit is going to pan out, but go back over time and look at those schools who year in, year out, consistenly put together top 5, top 10 recruiting classes and you'll see schools that are consistenly in the hunt for BCS bowls and the MNC game.

Prospect Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up

And it's especially piquant to see a newspaperman who has nothing better to do than to write about the internet. Perhaps if he was actually doing his JOB, he might have something useful to write about....