Overall activity: 20.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 101
    Given: 0

Hotels by the United Center?

I've only been to Chicago once and I have never gone to the area around the United Center. I'm going to the Duke game on the 6th and I'd like to get a hotel that night. Any recommendations? It doesn't really have to be all that nice, we'll probably just crash there and leave in the morning, but I don't want it to be totally ghetto. Thanks!

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 73
    Given: 10

Re: Hotels by the United Center?

Quote Originally Posted by BryceC View Post
    I've only been to Chicago once and I have never gone to the area around the United Center. I'm going to the Duke game on the 6th and I'd like to get a hotel that night. Any recommendations? It doesn't really have to be all that nice, we'll probably just crash there and leave in the morning, but I don't want it to be totally ghetto. Thanks!

If you want a cheap place, expect some hole in the 'burbs or near the airport. All the Downtown stuff gets pricy, but the cab fare is much less because it is a hop & a skip to the United Center.

We have a suite at Embassy Suites downtown, but we are also making a trip of it and staying 5 nights.

For a cheap place to crash, try La Quinta near O'Hare.

Legend Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

We just did a few days in Chicago last week and went through Priceline. Got a 4-star (or 3 1/2) called the Blackstone right off Michigan Ave for $85/nt. Probably could've got cheaper as they took my first bid. Regular rates were around $170.

Nice place. Very happy. Looks to be about 2 miles from the UC. Easy cab ride.

Of course you can't pick your place with Priceline. But you can pick your area and it worked out extremely well for us.

Usually downtown is very expensive, but I think they're hurting in this economy as much as anyone else, and doing what they can to drum up business.

Addict
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

Quote Originally Posted by DaddyMac View Post
    We just did a few days in Chicago last week and went through Priceline. Got a 4-star (or 3 1/2) called the Blackstone right off Michigan Ave for $85/nt. Probably could've got cheaper as they took my first bid. Regular rates were around $170.

Of course you can't pick your place with Priceline. But you can pick your area and it worked out extremely well for us.

Usually downtown is very expensive, but I think they're hurting in this economy as much as anyone else, and doing what they can to drum up business.
    Is that you Mr. Shatner?

I cheer for two teams, Iowa State and whoever is playing the hawkeyes.

Addict
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 73
    Given: 10

Quote Originally Posted by DaddyMac View Post

Especially January in Chicago. We got a great rate for our suite, and because of that rate we extended our stay in the city.

Legend Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

Quote Originally Posted by cyclonenum1 View Post
    Is that you Mr. Shatner?
    Nah, but that damn jingle has been stuck in my head since we went this route. And since they took my first bid - my wife has been calling me "Namby-Pamby" ever since.

I'm just saying, I was very wary of it before (not sure I'd do airlines this way) - and you may get kinda screwed over. But for something like what Bryce is looking for, I'd go this route again. If he has a bit of flexibility in where he stays.

Starter
    Level completed: 43%, Points required for next Level: 522
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 27
    Given: 21

Quote Originally Posted by BryceC View Post
    Bryce,

I'd stay at the Crowne Plaza. Chicago, Illinois Hotels - Crowne Plaza Chicago Metro Hotel Downtown Chicago.
    It's only between 1.2 and 1.4 miles from the United Center and the 20 bus picks you up right at the door and drives straight down Madison to the House of Krause.

However, that is contingent on you finding a nice rate like some friends of mine did when they came and visited a few weeks ago. They only paid $75 per night for two nights. The hotel charges for parking - about $25 a night (space is at a premium, you're just off the loop), but there is street parking for free just a few blocks away for those in the know. Park on Adams or Jackson, west and south of the hotel.

If you stay around O'Hare your drive will be - at a minimum - 25 minutes to the United Center. More likely around 40 minutes on a weekday night during rush hour. Then, you will have to pay for parking at the United Center when you arrive. Otherwise a cab is pretty pricey from O'Hare and back. O'Hare is out in the burbs.

Like other posters suggested, I would try to find a deal downtown and just take the 20 bus straight down Madison (from anywhere in the Loop) to the United Center and back.

Hope this helps.

Legend
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 145
    Given: 91

Last January, I got a great deal at the SilverSmith Hotel via Orbitz (10 South Wabash Ave, Chicago, IL 60603). It's 1/2 block from Madison, and not too far from the United Center. Very nice hotel with big rooms (at least the one I got). Be advised that one side of the Hotel borders the train, so if you get a room on that side, it will be noisy (I was just told to suck it up by my colleagues, as that was part of the Chicago "experience"). It was great for me because the SilverSmith was within a block of the conference hotel (Palmer House) for much less cost (via Orbitz).

The straight rate is probably pretty high, but you might be able to get a good bargain by going through one of the travel sites.

Downtown Chicago Hotels, Luxury Chicago Hotel - The Silversmith Hotel

"Don't worry Boss...they can't do nothin' 'til they're through sparklin'..."

Avatar - America's new superhero...Cenex Guy