Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Ford Fusion???

I told you I can't buy a pair of socks without going thru agony!! Just when we had things narrowed down (thanks to all of you!) to probably the Camry, I saw all the cash back & low financing Ford is giving out thru August 3rd which should catch the Cash For Clunkers program.

The Fusion looks fairly close to the Camry. Your input & thoughts please.

Is the Gabus Ford's "no nonsense" advertising for real???

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 266
    Given: 37

Re: Ford Fusion???

Fusion vs Camry? Is that really a question?

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. - Benjamin Franklin 1775

All-Star
    Level completed: 89%, Points required for next Level: 179
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 9
    Given: 40

i think you should maybe look into getting a consumer reports membership.

Ford is the only american car that i would consider. i think they've gotten a lot better in quality over the past few years. I know a few people who have a fusion and really like them. haven't driven one myself though, but i have driven an 08 Focus and i liked it. So i'd assume the Fusion would be nice too.

but as the above poster stated, i'm not sure you can compare the Fusion to a Camry.

Legend Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

Isn't Gabus owned by the same people as Toyota of DSM? Not that it probably matters to you, as you seem to be locked into the Camry. I've heard some bad things out of that conglomerate over on Merle Hay. But I'm sure plenty have positives to say as well.

I just did about 1200 miles in my '08 Accord over the weekend and have 15K on it since last Sept - and absolutely loveit. And the folks at Holmes have been top notch with a few minor issues I've had.

I wasn't really thrilled with the Fusion's interior. And I found the Accord room-ier. At 6'4", that was a deciding factor. But to take a cue from ISUBeattle above, I had a '93 Taurus for about 7 years and loved that car. I won't knock Ford.

Last edited by DaddyMac; 07-13-2009 at 03:26 PM.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 37.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 731
    Given: 489

Quote Originally Posted by DaddyMac View Post
    Isn't Gabus owned by the same people as Toyota of DSM? Not that it probably matters to you, as you seem to be locked into the Camry. I've heard some bad things out of that conglomerate over on Merle Hay. But I'm sure plenty have positives to say as well.

I just did about 1200 miles in my '08 Accord over the weekend and have 15K on it since last Sept - and absolutely loveit. And the folks at Holmes have been top notch with a few minor issues I've had.

I wasn't really thrilled with the Fusion's interior. And I found the Accord room-ier. At 6'4", that was a deciding factor. But to take a cue from ISUBeattle above, I had a '93 Taurus for about 7 years and loved that car. I won't knock Ford.
    Well, you do have to keep a few things in perspective - a 4-door Honda Accord is a full-sized vehicle while a 4-door Fusion is a mid-sized vehicle. By definition a 4-door Accord is going to be roomier than a Fusion.

Chuck Lidell: I paint my toenails with pink and black polish. Problem is, I get more paint on my toes and on the carpet than on my nails. Any advice?
    Maria Sharapova: Don't you beat up other guys for a living? I don't know how to answer this.

Addict
    Level completed: 39%, Points required for next Level: 1,113
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 21
    Given: 9

I'd say the Fusion more closely competes with the Corolla and the Taurus would be closer to the Camry, though it's starting to edge up into Avalon territory. The '10 Taurus looks very interesting, though I'm a bit concerned about it's economy.

Ford is doing all the right things so far, IMO, and I've been pretty impressed with the last couple of cars from them I've been in/driven (though for some reason the pedal geometry always gives me leg cramps in Ford vehicles).

They also offer all of their vehicles with AWD (for a couple of grand more), which might be a "nice to have" feature in Iowa.

Sync is pretty cool too.

"Homemade beer, after all, is like a democracy. Every so often, youíre gonna hate what comes out of it. But when itís good, itís the best." - woot.com

All-Star
    Level completed: 44%, Points required for next Level: 673
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience PointsSocial

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 13
    Given: 79

I think the general infatuation with the camry is laughable. The fushion (taurus) and malibu (impala) are just as good, if not better (price and look) than the camry, if you ask me.

Once you get your camry make sure you stick your pinky out when you drink from a glass. Then everyone will be amazed with you high stature and sophistication!

Legend Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by jdoggivjc View Post
    Well, you do have to keep a few things in perspective - a 4-door Honda Accord is a full-sized vehicle while a 4-door Fusion is a mid-sized vehicle. By definition a 4-door Accord is going to be roomier than a Fusion.
    I suppose so. His comparison to the Camry is what got me.

But is Accord a "full size"? Isn't that more along the lines of Towncars and such?

Pro
    Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 272
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Honda/Toyota > Ford

Just in case you didn't know... I'm a girl.

Addict
    Level completed: 39%, Points required for next Level: 1,113
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 21
    Given: 9

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone06 View Post
    I think the general infatuation with the camry is laughable. The fushion and malibu are just as good, if not better (price and look) than the camry, if you ask me.

Once you get your camry make sure you stick your pinky out when you drink from a glass. Then everyone will be amazed with you high stature and sophistication!
    That's like saying the infatuation with the F150 is laughable.

The Camry is the best selling car in the US for a reason. It's the standard by which all other sedans are judged. The "fushion and malibu" are both good cars, and both on par with the Camry. They are both less than 2 years model years old, though, and just on par with the Camry - not significantly better.

"Homemade beer, after all, is like a democracy. Every so often, youíre gonna hate what comes out of it. But when itís good, itís the best." - woot.com

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by DaddyMac View Post
    I suppose so. His comparison to the Camry is what got me.

But is Accord a "full size"? Isn't that more along the lines of Towncars and such?
    Current full-size cars

Honda Accord (North America, sedan only)óThe Accord competes mainly with large mid-sized vehicles, but its North American sedan version is classified by the US EPA as full-size. Its North American coupe version remains EPA-classified as mid-size.

Full-size car - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Chuck Lidell: I paint my toenails with pink and black polish. Problem is, I get more paint on my toes and on the carpet than on my nails. Any advice?
    Maria Sharapova: Don't you beat up other guys for a living? I don't know how to answer this.

Pro Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by isubeatle View Post
    i think you should maybe look into getting a consumer reports membership.
    I haven't been too impressed with Consumer Reports the few times I've looked at it. Just remember that you'll get a better product if you spend more money, and the bigger engine is always better, and you'll know most of what Consumer Reports says.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

While they're a good research tool, I'd say consumer reports should be taken with a grain of salt. You never know when someone's up there just to flame or when someone's going to pimp something they have no clue about. Last summer when I was car shopping, consumer reports had the Pontiac G6 rated just as good as a Toyota Camry or Nissan Altima. I don't think so...

Walk On
    Level completed: 36%, Points required for next Level: 386
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

Just by looking at basic pricing, to me it looked like Taurus/Avalon, Fusion/Camry, Focus/Corolla.

Addict
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 57
    Given: 6

I would test drive them and see what you think, Consumer Reports has some good info, their reliability basically comes from the subscribers, however they aren't ever going to like off road capable vehicles, etc. There are plenty of car reviewers out there, but personally I can decide for myself if I like fit and finish of one over the other, performance, etc. Reliability is something I can't determine initially, so then your stuck with j.d. power and CR I guess.