Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 3

Car Stereos for Dummies

Its actually a boat stereo question but follows the same rules. I want to put a new stereo in the boat and add two more part time speakers. These speakers will be set up when on the beach or in the water. There will not be six speakers on at the same time. Either two or four.

Should I buy the same stereo brand to get a better likelihood of harnesses matching up? The original is an aquatronics made by jensen.
    Should I wire in a switch to use the inside or outside speakers?
    Would an amp be a better solution to six speakers?
    Do I really need a marine stereo if I have a marine housing?

I really cant find these answers through google or bing but I always get good(along with sarcastic) answers from Fanatics.

Legend
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 16.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 279
    Given: 378

Re: Car Stereos for Dummies

That's a good question. I've only dealt with A/B type speakers in home audio and there is usually a setting for that functionality.

Pro
    Level completed: 90%, Points required for next Level: 122
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranCreated Album pictures25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Quote Originally Posted by CYKID View Post
    Its actually a boat stereo question but follows the same rules. I want to put a new stereo in the boat and add two more part time speakers. These speakers will be set up when on the beach or in the water. There will not be six speakers on at the same time. Either two or four.

Should I buy the same stereo brand to get a better likelihood of harnesses matching up? The original is an aquatronics made by jensen.
    Should I wire in a switch to use the inside or outside speakers?
    Would an amp be a better solution to six speakers?
    Do I really need a marine stereo if I have a marine housing?

I really cant find these answers through google or bing but I always get good(along with sarcastic) answers from Fanatics.
    These are based off of things I've done, not necessarily how they should have been done.

I installed an old Alpine deck in my in-laws boat a three or four summers ago and it has worked well enough. The CD's skip when the boat is bounced around, but who uses CD's anymore? iPod -> FM modulator works great. As far as the wiring, everything on the backside of the fiberglass dash was completely open, so I had all the space I needed to cut and splice. To me personally, it'd be worth redoing the harness to be rid of a Jensen stereo. Marine or not. I believe Kenwood also makes marine equipment if you want to go that route.

As far as the speakers, I wired up a switch to control my car amp when my son was born. That way I was only destroying my own ears. The switch controled the remote lead. Very simple. I'm not sure how you would turn off the other four speakers though. The trick will be finding somewhere to mount the amp that is secure and watertight while still letting it shed heat. I don't know what you're picturing for the beach speakers, but some sort of permanent mounting would make things easier.

That may all be moot. I spend time on two boats that have excellent stereos, and I don't see what the point of adding the parttime speakers would be if you simply upgraded the equipment that is already there. Good 5 1/4's and an aftermarket headunit should make some decent noise. Unless of course you are looking specifically to improve the low end, then a simple powered sub suited for marine duty might be the simplest solution.

Pro
    Level completed: 97%, Points required for next Level: 45
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6
    Given: 5

I'm wondering if a marine unit is alltogether more water tight. If they arent appreciably more expensive I'd go that route. Who knows what water spray and dampness might do to one thats not meant for it. As for wiring you should be able to make about anythnig work together with the various adapters they make for such purposes.

Hmm, I havent touched a non factory car stereo or speaker in ... well only about 9 years, not as bad as I was thinking. I'm not old yet, whew.

Nothing to see here mods. Keep moving.

All-Star
    Level completed: 60%, Points required for next Level: 405
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 3

In case you wondered, I did find the answers.

You should buy a marine stereo as it has moisture resistant parts. It doesn't mean its waterproof but it will handle damp conditions better. Of course I didn't buy a marine unit because the prices were ridiculous for the quality of stereo. I'll take my chances.

You can add more speakers by running them in series. Run the positive wire to the positive plug of speaker one. Run the wire from the negative of speaker one to the positive of speaker two and the negative of two back to the stereo to complete the circuit. This will decrease the wattage by half to each speaker and double the ohms. This is the method that worked for me as my amp could handle the spike in ohms. If you connect both speakers in parallel at the amp it will leave the watts the same but cut the ohms in half which my amp could not handle.It would have blown. My amp has a range of 4-8 ohms and 4 is what it starts at and doubles with the series method of installation.

Thank you Jensen Stereos for having such a good web site.