Results 1 to 15 of 15
  1. #1
    All-Star
    Points: 15,712, Level: 38
    Level completed: 8%, Points required for next Level: 738
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    shildreth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ
    Posts
    1,148
    Points
    15,712
    Level
    38
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 27

    Church (mets) traded for Francouer (Braves)

    Church, a 30-year-old lefty hitter, was batting .280 with two home runs and 22 RBIs in 67 games for the New York.
    Francoeur, a 25-year-old righty bat, was hitting .250 with five homers and 35 RBIs in 82 games for Atlanta.

    I don't get how you could trade a 1:1 same position swap within your division. Makes no sense.

    As a Mets fan I think the Mets got the bad end of the stick on this one. Francouer wasn't even starting on the braves was he?


    '00 Grad
    "Can I borrow your towel, my car just hit a water buffalo" Erwin Fletcher

  2. #2
    Prospect
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Cedar Rapids
    Posts
    48
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Church (mets) traded for Francouer (Braves)

    I don't like it either... Francouer will swing at anything you throw at him.

    Francouer does have more power but a worse average. The other upside is Francouer is younger and could develop, but if you are looking for a playoff run, he won't develop that quick.

    Verdict: Bad move by the Mets.



  3. #3
    Just Win Baby
    Points: 302,578, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Clones85''s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    13,339
    Points
    302,578
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4
    Given: 0

    Re: Church (mets) traded for Francouer (Braves)

    Francouer has potential if he ever learns the strike zone. He swings at everything



  4. #4
    All-Star
    Points: 15,712, Level: 38
    Level completed: 8%, Points required for next Level: 738
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    shildreth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ
    Posts
    1,148
    Points
    15,712
    Level
    38
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 27

    Re: Church (mets) traded for Francouer (Braves)

    Quote Originally Posted by Clones85' View Post
    Francouer has potential if he ever learns the strike zone. He swings at everything
    He is pretty good defensively though isnt he? (Francouer). I thought I remember him having a pretty decent hose.


    '00 Grad
    "Can I borrow your towel, my car just hit a water buffalo" Erwin Fletcher

  5. #5
    Speechless
    Points: 352,711, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    isucyfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Saint Paul, MN
    Posts
    19,870
    Points
    352,711
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 99
    Given: 2

    Re: Church (mets) traded for Francouer (Braves)

    Quote Originally Posted by shildreth View Post
    He is pretty good defensively though isnt he? (Francouer). I thought I remember him having a pretty decent hose.
    Great arm, I don't like his bat.

    Kind of a wash for the Mets, IMO.


    Forever trying to find a cure for the Dunning-Kruger Effect.

  6. #6
    Just Win Baby
    Points: 302,578, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Clones85''s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    13,339
    Points
    302,578
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4
    Given: 0

    Re: Church (mets) traded for Francouer (Braves)

    Quote Originally Posted by shildreth View Post
    He is pretty good defensively though isnt he? (Francouer). I thought I remember him having a pretty decent hose.
    Yeah he has a cannon. I personally liked him although he had sucked long enough that I don't mind this move. He seemed to be a competitor but after he started off so promising has really struggled



  7. #7
    All-Star
    Points: 15,712, Level: 38
    Level completed: 8%, Points required for next Level: 738
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    shildreth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ
    Posts
    1,148
    Points
    15,712
    Level
    38
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 27

    Re: Church (mets) traded for Francouer (Braves)

    Quote Originally Posted by isucyfan View Post
    Great arm, I don't like his bat.

    Kind of a wash for the Mets, IMO.
    It definately brings our concussions per 9 innings rate down!


    '00 Grad
    "Can I borrow your towel, my car just hit a water buffalo" Erwin Fletcher

  8. #8
    Speechless
    Points: 177,408, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    hurdleisu24's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    16,140
    Points
    177,408
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 8

    Re: Church (mets) traded for Francouer (Braves)

    Atleast the Mets are getting cash in the deal. Looks at it from the Mets if Reyes, Delgado and Beltran get healthy they have a really tough line up. Plus they had to do something and atleast they got a player who knows the divison



  9. #9
    All-Star
    Points: 15,712, Level: 38
    Level completed: 8%, Points required for next Level: 738
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    shildreth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ
    Posts
    1,148
    Points
    15,712
    Level
    38
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 27

    Re: Church (mets) traded for Francouer (Braves)

    Quote Originally Posted by hurdleisu24 View Post
    Atleast the Mets are getting cash in the deal. Looks at it from the Mets if Reyes, Delgado and Beltran get healthy they have a really tough line up. Plus they had to do something and atleast they got a player who knows the divison
    IIIFFF they get healty. Not looking good until Aug now.


    '00 Grad
    "Can I borrow your towel, my car just hit a water buffalo" Erwin Fletcher

  10. #10
    Speechless
    Points: 483,438, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 28.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    jdoggivjc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Sterling Heights, MI
    Posts
    32,510
    Points
    483,438
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 894
    Given: 639

    Re: Church (mets) traded for Francouer (Braves)

    Francouer did have one hell of an introductory weekend for the Mets, howver - 4 for 9 with two RBIs.

    I'm one that saw this trade as questionable/wash as well, but:
    -Francouer is 5 years younger than Church
    -He isn't the concussion risk that Church is
    -IMO defensively Francourer is hands down better than Church
    -Rumors have it that manager Manuel and Church never got along at all. This could have been having an impact on team chemistry.

    Time will tell on which team this trade was good for. My money is on the Mets, because Francouer is still learning to play the game, while Church is either nearing or is past the pinnacle of what can be described as a less than stellar career.


    Chuck Lidell: I paint my toenails with pink and black polish. Problem is, I get more paint on my toes and on the carpet than on my nails. Any advice?
    Maria Sharapova: Don't you beat up other guys for a living? I don't know how to answer this.



  11. #11
    Speechless
    Points: 214,188, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 46.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    16,975
    Points
    214,188
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 719
    Given: 396

    Re: Church (mets) traded for Francouer (Braves)

    Quote Originally Posted by jdoggivjc View Post
    Francouer did have one hell of an introductory weekend for the Mets, howver - 4 for 9 with two RBIs.

    I'm one that saw this trade as questionable/wash as well, but:
    -Francouer is 5 years younger than Church
    -He isn't the concussion risk that Church is
    -IMO defensively Francourer is hands down better than Church
    -Rumors have it that manager Manuel and Church never got along at all. This could have been having an impact on team chemistry.

    Time will tell on which team this trade was good for. My money is on the Mets, because Francouer is still learning to play the game, while Church is either nearing or is past the pinnacle of what can be described as a less than stellar career.
    Yeah, on the surface the move doesn't make much sense for the Mets, at least in the short term. Church has been better offensively, though I guess Francouer might help out defensively in their huge outfield. I think a big part of the deal is that Church didn't get along with their manager.... neither of the players are really difference makers.



  12. #12
    Speechless
    Points: 352,711, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    isucyfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Saint Paul, MN
    Posts
    19,870
    Points
    352,711
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 99
    Given: 2

    Re: Church (mets) traded for Francouer (Braves)

    Quote Originally Posted by jdoggivjc View Post
    Francouer did have one hell of an introductory weekend for the Mets, howver - 4 for 9 with two RBIs.

    I'm one that saw this trade as questionable/wash as well, but:
    -Francouer is 5 years younger than Church
    -He isn't the concussion risk that Church is
    -IMO defensively Francourer is hands down better than Church
    -Rumors have it that manager Manuel and Church never got along at all. This could have been having an impact on team chemistry.

    Time will tell on which team this trade was good for. My money is on the Mets, because Francouer is still learning to play the game, while Church is either nearing or is past the pinnacle of what can be described as a less than stellar career.
    Those are great points. I think it's a high risk/high reward type of thing for the Mets. Francoeur could end up being a good power hitter with a cannon for years to come, or he could be out of baseball in a couple of years because he is a free-swinger that slumps frequently.


    Forever trying to find a cure for the Dunning-Kruger Effect.

  13. #13
    Pro
    Points: 36,878, Level: 59
    Level completed: 19%, Points required for next Level: 972
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Clonegrad07's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    2,404
    Points
    36,878
    Level
    59
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6
    Given: 17

    Re: Church (mets) traded for Francouer (Braves)

    I personally think it's a GREAT move for the Mets. They get a younger player with way more upside... and depending on who you talk to, might be better today than Ryan Church. Both of these guys needed a change of scenery. Sounds good.



  14. #14
    Speechless
    Points: 483,438, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 28.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    jdoggivjc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Sterling Heights, MI
    Posts
    32,510
    Points
    483,438
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 894
    Given: 639

    Re: Church (mets) traded for Francouer (Braves)

    Quote Originally Posted by isucyfan View Post
    Those are great points. I think it's a high risk/high reward type of thing for the Mets. Francoeur could end up being a good power hitter with a cannon for years to come, or he could be out of baseball in a couple of years because he is a free-swinger that slumps frequently.
    I wouldn't even call Francouer high risk - all they gave up for him was Church. Worst case scenario is he ends up flaming out about the same time that the Mets would have gotten rid of Church anyway. I honestly think Church has hit the peak of what he's capable of doing in his career - I don't see much room for improvement. Francouer, on the other hand, is still young enough to learn how to hit - and if he doesn't, well, at least he's still a capable defender in a cavernous Citi outfield (I've seen it with my own eyes - that outfield is HUGE).


    Chuck Lidell: I paint my toenails with pink and black polish. Problem is, I get more paint on my toes and on the carpet than on my nails. Any advice?
    Maria Sharapova: Don't you beat up other guys for a living? I don't know how to answer this.



  15. #15
    Speechless
    Points: 352,711, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    isucyfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Saint Paul, MN
    Posts
    19,870
    Points
    352,711
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 99
    Given: 2

    Re: Church (mets) traded for Francouer (Braves)

    Quote Originally Posted by jdoggivjc View Post
    I wouldn't even call Francouer high risk - all they gave up for him was Church. Worst case scenario is he ends up flaming out about the same time that the Mets would have gotten rid of Church anyway. I honestly think Church has hit the peak of what he's capable of doing in his career - I don't see much room for improvement. Francouer, on the other hand, is still young enough to learn how to hit - and if he doesn't, well, at least he's still a capable defender in a cavernous Citi outfield (I've seen it with my own eyes - that outfield is HUGE).
    To me, he's high risk/high reward in that he may bat himself in or out of the lineup, whereas Church at least was more consistent. I think Francoeur could actually bat himself out of baseball unless he changes his approach at the plate. He batted .223 in May with 23 strikeouts, which probably started his demise in Atlanta.


    Forever trying to find a cure for the Dunning-Kruger Effect.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • TV: FS1
  • Iowa State vs. Oklahoma
  • November 1, 2014
  • 11:00 AM