Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 30
  1. #1
    Addict
    Points: 132,713, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    cyismydog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    6,350
    Points
    132,713
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 14
    Given: 7

    Peter Jok article

    I now have a job working for Dan Poneman (Featuerd in SI, runs illinioshsbasketball.com) as his reporter on Iowa high school basketball. Here's my first article, on Peter Jok:
    ILLINOISHSBASKETBALL.COM - The Best in Illinois High School Basketball Scouting.
    Any feedback, good or bad would be appreciated.
    Thanks



  2. #2
    Addict
    Points: 132,713, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    cyismydog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    6,350
    Points
    132,713
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 14
    Given: 7

    Re: Peter Jok article

    Also, Peter is not even looking at potential schools right now, and is turning down most interview requests..ISU is the only school he knows of, even though Illinois apparently offered him.



  3. #3
    Rookie
    Points: 20,062, Level: 43
    Level completed: 24%, Points required for next Level: 688
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran10000 Experience Points
    cgwarrior33's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    529
    Points
    20,062
    Level
    43
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Peter Jok article

    Not bad. I just have a couple things. Maybe build the article a little a little more so its not like you are reading off a stat/bio sheet. " Peter is a 6’4and " I would say you don't need to include the half, its just seems like its unnecessary for the article. Also maybe detail a couple of things you have heard from another AAU coach, his AAU coach...etc about his game. Why they feel his game off the bounce is unstoppable. Overall not too bad for the first article.



  4. #4
    Prospect
    Points: 5,676, Level: 22
    Level completed: 26%, Points required for next Level: 374
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    41
    Points
    5,676
    Level
    22
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Peter Jok article

    Quote Originally Posted by cyismydog View Post
    I now have a job working for Dan Poneman (Featuerd in SI, runs illinioshsbasketball.com) as his reporter on Iowa high school basketball. Here's my first article, on Peter Jok:
    ILLINOISHSBASKETBALL.COM - The Best in Illinois High School Basketball Scouting.
    Any feedback, good or bad would be appreciated.
    Thanks

    The article was brutal



  5. #5
    Just Win Baby
    Points: 302,578, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Clones85''s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    13,339
    Points
    302,578
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3
    Given: 0

    Re: Peter Jok article

    Good article. There are a couple of words that don't have a space between them.

    Also how tall is his older brother? His dad?



  6. #6
    Addict
    Points: 132,713, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    cyismydog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    6,350
    Points
    132,713
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 14
    Given: 7

    Re: Peter Jok article

    Quote Originally Posted by Clones85' View Post
    Good article. There are a couple of words that don't have a space between them.

    Also how tall is his older brother? His dad?
    His older bro is only 6'2", but Peter is way taller at the same age, and doctors said he was projected to grow that tall b/c of his growth plates, etc.
    Not sure of his dad, as IIRc, he doesn't live with his dad. (He came over from Africa when he was younger.)



  7. #7
    Bench Warmer
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    332
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Peter Jok article

    not terrible, I have a couple of suggestions for future articles though.

    Compare PJ to HB...and contrast..alot of people are starting to know HB..but since PJ is younger it would be helpful to compare them to a guy that every basketball recruiting fan knows..

    Also, how he compares to Iowa players present to future..Fred Hoiberg..Marcus Paige..Wesley Staten...HB.. pretty much all of the good players.

    About the article, could have went in depth on some things...but it's better then the rivals articles/scout...pretty good for the 1st time.

    gratz on the new job..make CF proud (unlike someone we know)


    We don't need refs, but I guess white guys need something to do. -Charles Barkley-

  8. #8
    Addict
    Points: 151,357, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    6,079
    Points
    151,357
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 72
    Given: 3

    Re: Peter Jok article

    Worst article ever!!!!!



  9. #9
    Addict
    Points: 132,713, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    cyismydog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    6,350
    Points
    132,713
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 14
    Given: 7

    Re: Peter Jok article

    Quote Originally Posted by warsend View Post
    not terrible, I have a couple of suggestions for future articles though.

    Compare PJ to HB...and contrast..alot of people are starting to know HB..but since PJ is younger it would be helpful to compare them to a guy that every basketball recruiting fan knows..

    Also, how he compares to Iowa players present to future..Fred Hoiberg..Marcus Paige..Wesley Staten...HB.. pretty much all of the good players.

    About the article, could have went in depth on some things...but it's better then the rivals articles/scout...pretty good for the 1st time.

    gratz on the new job..make CF proud (unlike someone we know)
    I would have gone much more in depth, but Peter could only answer the q's via facebook. (Doesn't have a phone, and not allowed to do interviews over the phone) So I was somewhat limited in that regard.



  10. #10
    All-Star
    Points: 15,521, Level: 37
    Level completed: 84%, Points required for next Level: 129
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    shildreth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ
    Posts
    1,146
    Points
    15,521
    Level
    37
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 17

    Re: Peter Jok article

    Quote Originally Posted by cyismydog View Post
    His older bro is only 6'2", but Peter is way taller at the same age, and doctors said he was projected to grow that tall b/c of his growth plates, etc.
    Not sure of his dad, as IIRc, he doesn't live with his dad. (He came over from Africa when he was younger.)
    I posted this in the other thread. But from the illini board that someone posted one of their posters said this about Jok:

    Peter Jok
    *one of his cousins in Manute Bol
    *another is Lual Deng with the Bulls
    *dad (deceased) was 7"
    *uncle is almost 7"

    Pretty good genes (height) if true.


    EDIT - Nevermind - I see you already responded in the other thread.


    '00 Grad
    "Can I borrow your towel, my car just hit a water buffalo" Erwin Fletcher

  11. #11
    Bench Warmer
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    332
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Peter Jok article

    ok, that explains it then

    maybe you can do an article on yourself or global warming or why the yankees suck


    We don't need refs, but I guess white guys need something to do. -Charles Barkley-

  12. #12
    All-Star
    Points: 37,983, Level: 60
    Level completed: 12%, Points required for next Level: 1,067
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    ISU_phoria's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Andover, MN
    Posts
    1,866
    Points
    37,983
    Level
    60
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 9
    Given: 1

    Re: Peter Jok article

    I thought for the length of the article, it had the right amount of information. While it would be nice to know some of the "stats" others have asked about, I'm guessing your article is intentionally kept at a high level.

    My only critique (besides a few formatting issues) would be use of the word "hops". Mostly a personal preference, but for some reason that word (unless it's used when talking about beer) annoys me. I'd stick with "leaping ability." Again, that's just my opinion.

    Overall, great piece, just right for the target audience!



  13. #13
    Just Win Baby
    Points: 302,578, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Clones85''s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    13,339
    Points
    302,578
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3
    Given: 0

    Re: Peter Jok article

    I wonder how close we are to offering. Greg has shown in the past that he doesn't mind offering guys before they get into high school, but maybe the Dykstra situation has made him a little gun shy.

    I do think there is a difference between offering this kid early and offering Dykstra early though



  14. #14
    Addict
    Points: 132,713, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    cyismydog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    6,350
    Points
    132,713
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 14
    Given: 7

    Re: Peter Jok article

    Quote Originally Posted by Clones85' View Post
    I wonder how close we are to offering. Greg has shown in the past that he doesn't mind offering guys before they get into high school, but maybe the Dykstra situation has made him a little gun shy.

    I do think there is a difference between offering this kid early and offering Dykstra early though
    I would say very, very close.



  15. #15
    All-Star
    Points: 37,983, Level: 60
    Level completed: 12%, Points required for next Level: 1,067
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    ISU_phoria's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Andover, MN
    Posts
    1,866
    Points
    37,983
    Level
    60
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 9
    Given: 1

    Re: Peter Jok article

    Quote Originally Posted by shildreth View Post
    I posted this in the other thread. But from the illini board that someone posted one of their posters said this about Jok:

    Peter Jok
    *one of his cousins in Manute Bol
    *another is Lual Deng with the Bulls
    *dad (deceased) was 7"
    *uncle is almost 7"

    Pretty good genes (height) if true.


    EDIT - Nevermind - I see you already responded in the other thread.
    Wow! It's pretty amazing that he's projected to be 6'9" or 6'10" when his dad and uncle are only 7 inches tall.



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • Football
  • Iowa State vs. North Dakota State
  • August 30, 2014
  • 11:00 AM