Level completed: 84%, Points required for next Level: 275
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 10
    Given: 0

All Iowa Attack vs Martin Bros Select - Live....

Had a few hours to spare last night so I decided to check out some AAU hoops in person - man, what a circus!

All at once, there are: four games, four scoreboards, multiple buzzers/whistles, no player names on backs of jerseys, no team names on fronts of jerseys (some), no programs, and no PA announcers.

Had Jake Sullivan not been standing 15 feet from the gym entrance, I might not have noticed it was all iowa attack on court 3. No wonder they charge coaches $250 for the "coaches packet!"

They had a big sign out front with all of the DI school with registered coaches and there were at least 100 schools listed. Across from where the general public was allowed to sit, there were probably 20-30 assistant coaches (didn't notice any familiar faces).

Anyway, I haven't had the chance to see the Iowa kids in person, only the internet chatter, videos, pics, and various articles. And I'll be honest - it was really hard to pick out who was who. Sure, a kid like Vander Blue or HB sticks out (Vander was there, HB obviously wasn't). But a kid like Zach McCabe? Looks like everyone else...and I couldn't figure out it was him until 20-30 minutes in. And this kid is a potential ND offer or Iowa signee??

I'd say Diante Garrett has bigger biceps than Dykstra, McDermott, and Trayvon Wright. Seriously. (ok, i'm joking, but just a little). And Marcus Paige? He could've passed for someone's 11 yr old brother :) (He didn't get many minutes playing up a few age groups for Martin Bros).

It was a good close game until about 5 minutes to go until AIA got hot from three (maybe Dan Jok? #20?) Martin Bros tried to come back but couldn't close the gap. Trayvon (i'm going from memory/guess) sure is skinny but he can really jump and had a few nice dunks. But its not like the kid was grabbing every rebound, swatting shots, and hitting Brackin's esque turnarounds. Reading the Ny2LA write-ups were quite comical, talking about this kid dominating...or that kid lighting it up. It just isn't that black and white.

Which brings me to my final point - this idea that recruiting is some exact science is complete non-sense. These kids are playing non-stop hoops, often 3+ games a day. Why did one kid look lousy on D? He was probably exhausted from playing 15 games the last 4 days! :) We have some great posters on CF who offer really good insight - and (shocking) sometimes they're wrong. So the ripping of the individual posters is lame, IMHO. Sometimes our coaches make mistakes, not by lack of effort or experience, but more likely due to the complete crapshoot that is today's bball recruiting.

Even better teams are expected back in Milwaukee on Sunday (after playing in Deerfield, IL 40 miles away this weekend). Seriously, the next tourney starts at 4pm some teams have time to play in IL in the morning and then play in WI in the afternoon!

And two final, final tidbits (I'm not good at linking articles). The suntimes high school hoop blog went gaga over Peter Jok, and mentioned he was offered by IL.

And the nytimes has a quote from Jim Boeheim saying WJ will be a top10 pick in the draft this year. Ugh - that's not going to fun watching WJ go for 25 and 12 on ESPN this winter!

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

Re: All Iowa Attack vs Martin Bros Select - Live....

Quote Originally Posted by brokenloginagain View Post
    Had a few hours to spare last night so I decided to check out some AAU hoops in person - man, what a circus!

All at once, there are: four games, four scoreboards, multiple buzzers/whistles, no player names on backs of jerseys, no team names on fronts of jerseys (some), no programs, and no PA announcers.

Had Jake Sullivan not been standing 15 feet from the gym entrance, I might not have noticed it was all iowa attack on court 3. No wonder they charge coaches $250 for the "coaches packet!"

They had a big sign out front with all of the DI school with registered coaches and there were at least 100 schools listed. Across from where the general public was allowed to sit, there were probably 20-30 assistant coaches (didn't notice any familiar faces).

Anyway, I haven't had the chance to see the Iowa kids in person, only the internet chatter, videos, pics, and various articles. And I'll be honest - it was really hard to pick out who was who. Sure, a kid like Vander Blue or HB sticks out (Vander was there, HB obviously wasn't). But a kid like Zach McCabe? Looks like everyone else...and I couldn't figure out it was him until 20-30 minutes in. And this kid is a potential ND offer or Iowa signee??

I'd say Diante Garrett has bigger biceps than Dykstra, McDermott, and Trayvon Wright. Seriously. (ok, i'm joking, but just a little). And Marcus Paige? He could've passed for someone's 11 yr old brother :) (He didn't get many minutes playing up a few age groups for Martin Bros).

It was a good close game until about 5 minutes to go until AIA got hot from three (maybe Dan Jok? #20?) Martin Bros tried to come back but couldn't close the gap. Trayvon (i'm going from memory/guess) sure is skinny but he can really jump and had a few nice dunks. But its not like the kid was grabbing every rebound, swatting shots, and hitting Brackin's esque turnarounds. Reading the Ny2LA write-ups were quite comical, talking about this kid dominating...or that kid lighting it up. It just isn't that black and white.

Which brings me to my final point - this idea that recruiting is some exact science is complete non-sense. These kids are playing non-stop hoops, often 3+ games a day. Why did one kid look lousy on D? He was probably exhausted from playing 15 games the last 4 days! :) We have some great posters on CF who offer really good insight - and (shocking) sometimes they're wrong. So the ripping of the individual posters is lame, IMHO. Sometimes our coaches make mistakes, not by lack of effort or experience, but more likely due to the complete crapshoot that is today's bball recruiting.

Even better teams are expected back in Milwaukee on Sunday (after playing in Deerfield, IL 40 miles away this weekend). Seriously, the next tourney starts at 4pm some teams have time to play in IL in the morning and then play in WI in the afternoon!

And two final, final tidbits (I'm not good at linking articles). The suntimes high school hoop blog went gaga over Peter Jok, and mentioned he was offered by IL.

And the nytimes has a quote from Jim Boeheim saying WJ will be a top10 pick in the draft this year. Ugh - that's not going to fun watching WJ go for 25 and 12 on ESPN this winter!
    That's news to him...

Just Win Baby
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Wesley Johnson may score 25 a game next year ( I doubt it) and may be a top 10 pick (seriously could be) but he will still be going to the NIT at best next year. That syracuse team will struggle

Pro
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by brokenloginagain View Post

As far as recruiting goes, that's why these guys constantly get watched over and over again for a handful of years. Everyone realizes that on any given day a player could be tired, having an off day, etc.

IMO I'd want to see when a player undergoes adverse situations like this to see how they may respond to it. For example, do they check out of the game, or do they find other ways to help the team win? Are they a good teammate, or are they selfish? Are they listening to what the coach is saying, or are they doing their own thing? The reason being is that basketball players are obviously people. In college, they'll have all sorts of challenges and you want to see if the guy can respond to these challenges and fight through the tough times..... Just IMO, as I'm obviously not a coach, and some would call me an idiot (even though they don't know me at all!).

I don't drink the Kool-Aid, and I am done making excuses. Only keeping it real...

Pro
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Clones85' View Post
    Wesley Johnson may score 25 a game next year ( I doubt it) and may be a top 10 pick (seriously could be) but he will still be going to the NIT at best next year. That syracuse team will struggle
    Wesley will also be on ESPN practically every game he plays. It's obvious he cares less about the team and more about himself...

I don't drink the Kool-Aid, and I am done making excuses. Only keeping it real...

Pro
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by cyismydog View Post
    That's news to him...
    Maybe it will be forthcoming? Fighting Illini Basketball: Peter Jok, 2013 - IllinoisLoyalty.com

Prospect Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up

I agree with much of the original post. A coach can see as many as 200 players in a tournament which makes it very convenient. This is usually an assistant coach and thatís why you donít recognize them. When they are impressed by a player they bank that information waiting for a repeat performance.

However, real information comes when 2 target players must face each other. This can happen by chance at an AAU tournament or better yet a coach can force that situation if he gets both players in a controlled situation like a skills camp. By the time these players make it to a skills camp the head coach well knows who they are.

Evaluating talent is difficult. Head coaches do everything they can to avoid a recruiting error.

Rudy

Rookie
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 9
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rudy Katoot View Post
    I agree with much of the original post. A coach can see as many as 200 players in a tournament which makes it very convenient. This is usually an assistant coach and thatís why you donít recognize them. When they are impressed by a player they bank that information waiting for a repeat performance.

However, real information comes when 2 target players must face each other. This can happen by chance at an AAU tournament or better yet a coach can force that situation if he gets both players in a controlled situation like a skills camp. By the time these players make it to a skills camp the head coach well knows who they are.

Evaluating talent is difficult. Head coaches do everything they can to avoid a recruiting error.

Rudy
    With these tournaments the MB and AIA go to, you are talking a minimum of 200. I was at a tournament in Sioux Falls, SD a couple weeks ago where I literally saw 300 kids play in a bout 8 hours. The coaches packet is a must. Most the the time, you see a kid, star his name, make a note or two and keep looking for others...at the level I coach at. DI guys are going to look at maybe a dozen players in those tournaments or 250+ kids. Heck, the tournament I was at was full of DII coaches and half the time they weren't even paying attention to the games. They were talking with each other laughing and joking. Most of the time the coaches who are there know who they are supposed to be watching, they watch that kid and then it turns into a networking thing. Oh what I would give to offer full scholarships instead of halves or quarters........sorry for the lil rant at the end.

All-Star
    Level completed: 49%, Points required for next Level: 412
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 13

Quote Originally Posted by mplscyclone View Post

If this is true...wow!
    Peter Jok
    *one of his cousins in Manute Bol
    *another is Lual Deng with the Bulls
    *dad (deceased) was 7"
    *uncle is almost 7"

'00 Grad
    "Can I borrow your towel, my car just hit a water buffalo" Erwin Fletcher

Addict
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by shildreth View Post
    If this is true...wow!
    Peter Jok
    *one of his cousins in Manute Bol
    *another is Lual Deng with the Bulls
    *dad (deceased) was 7"
    *uncle is almost 7"
    I'll check on this and get back to you.

Recruit
    Level completed: 73%, Points required for next Level: 137
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

I was there as well. I often catch myself wondering how players don't stop more often when they hear whistles; the way they echo in that place, its hard to see how they could distinguish between which court the whistle was blown on.

Obviously there is tons of talent there, but I find it hard to watch more than 5 or 6 games, just because there are so many turnovers. I can't blame players for wanting to showcase themselves, but there are noticeable gaps between the quality of coaches across these programs.

Pro
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3

Quote Originally Posted by Rudy Katoot View Post

Rudy
    That serif font is really hard to read. That is all.