Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Alford vs Ferentz

For some reason this jumped into my head the other day watching the Iowa vs Indiana game. Is Steve Alford really that bad of a coach? And why do Hawk Fans worship Ferentz and despise Alford? Being a Clone Fan I feel the same way. I love the fact that Alford is Iowa's basketball coach but hate the fact Ferentz is the football coach. But why??

When Alford came in at Iowa expectations were VERY high and he started out pretty strong and then sort of leveled off. Now on the other end of the spectrum Ferentz came in with NO expectations and started out very slow. Fans wanted to run him out but then he had a couple good years and Iowa fans now praise his every word.

You always hear #s don't lie. Well over the past 4 years (1 full class), Steve Alford is 32-25 (including 5-4 this year) in conference play. That is a winning perenage of 56.1%. On the other end, Kirk Ferentz over the past 4 years is 19-13 in conference play which is a 59.3% winning percentage. If Iowa BB wins 10 games this year in conference, which is a possibility (Big 10 is horrible minus OSU and WI), then Alfords winning % will jump up to 57.8%. Also, if you were to trend ithese figures, Alford is on the way up and Ferentz down.

I know Ferentz has a higher win percentage but the difference is much less then you would think considering one is one the highest paid coachs in CFB and other other is getting run out of town.

Just bored today and thought I would put that out there for discussion??

Facebook Knows All
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 78
    Given: 23

Re: Alford vs Ferentz

Ferentz has taken Iowa to a BCS game. And also 3 other New Year's Day bowls. Ferentz took the struggling football program to new levels.

Alford has 1 NCAA tournament win in 8 years. Alford took the "stagnant" basketball program who never lost a 1st round game in the NCAA tournament under Davis to winning 1 game in 8 years.

I think that says it all.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 40
    Given: 42

Re: Alford vs Ferentz

Quote Originally Posted by cycloneworld View Post
    Ferentz has taken Iowa to a BCS game. And also 3 other New Year's Day bowls. Ferentz took the struggling football program to new levels.

Alford has 1 NCAA tournament win in 8 years. Alford took the "stagnant" basketball program who never lost a 1st round game in the NCAA tournament under Davis to winning 1 game in 8 years.

I think that says it all.
    Good points.

Generally I'm glad Steve is there as he seems to do just enough to keep his job. I think we've got a better coach that is an even better people-person - therefore should help our in-state recruiting over Iowa a lot.

Although, I do wonder as Steve continues - if he'll get better. I expect him to, just how much is the question. I think ISU fans (and Iowa fans for that matter) would be viewing him much differently if Iowa hadn't blown that game in the tournament last season.