Level completed: 49%, Points required for next Level: 510
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0
    This was my first time going to any Capital City League games, and I must say, I had a pretty good time. I was

there for the first game between Gratias Construction (Jiri & W. Johnson) and CIO (Streff & Dunson) and for the

first half of the second game between Coca-Cola (C. Johnson and McIntosh) and Ev Cochrane (Rahson and Jacobsen).

First game:

Jiri Hubalek - I'm going to start of with him, and this is kind of harsh, but I could not have been more

disappointed. He did EXACTLY what he did this past season. He stayed only on the perimeter and rarely looked to be

a presence down low. He was consistently taking ill-advised shots and taking the ball into traffic which usually

resulted in a turnover. And man, he wouldn't stop COMPLAINING! I don't think the guy smiled once all night. He was

frustrated, and he let it get to him. Jiri's in big time need of discipline. He really didn't hustle all the much,

and when he did, he was pushing and fouling. It wasn't a pretty sight to watch, IMO. Also, on one occasion (like

last year) he had the oppurtunity to absolutely slam it home, but instead he chose to lay it up softly. I simply

am in awe of how someone so tall can refrain from dunking a basketball, aka, the highest percentage shot in the

game. The one positive I could find was that he seemed a little beefier. The more weight he gains, the better,

obviously. I know I'm being really hard on Jiri but it's because I think he has a lot of talent and I feel he's

critical to our success next season. I'm really hoping this was just an off night, or maybe I'm just being way too

critical.

Wesley Johnson - All I have to say is....WOW! Ok, I understand it's just one game in a summer league scrimmage, but

man, I came away from this experience thinking Wesley might be a special name in the future for ISU basketball.

He's a little thin, but man is he athletic. Actually, the one word that I think describes him the best is "smooth."

He's just so fluid out there. He does everything really really well. He handles it and shoots it like a guard

(great form with a high release) and has athleticism that might be close to Rahshon's. Out of all the new guys,

he's got me most excited. SO much talent, and the best part is, he's a 6-7 freshman! I think he might play A LOT

next year, but he does need to bulk up a tad.

Dunson - I was very pleased in what I saw from Dodie. He shoots it veryy well from downtown and he has sort of a

relaxed attitude out there on the court. He hit a lot of three's in a short amount of time and really kept his team

into the game. I like how he stepped up and wasn't afraid to take the big shots. He's pretty athletic as well and

for a freshman, I thought he looked pretty ripped. He communicated well with his teammates and afterward the one

thing I couldn't help notice was the fact that he had the biggest smile on his face. Looked like he was happy to be

there and was getting along great with fellow Cyclones.

Second Game (First half only):

Cory Johnson - He seems pretty big to me. I'm guessing he's around 230-240 pounds right now. He does kind of

remind me of Greg Brunner, except much better at this stage :-) His form looks great, his deep ball looks great,

and his hustle was definitely impresssive. On one occasion, he put up a poor left hand hook on one side of the

court then hustled all the way down to the other side to absolutely munch Rahshon. That was pretty cool. I think

he'll be a solid player for us as a freshman. He's a little rough around the edges but he's also pretty crafty

around the hoop and sure has a lot of upside.

Corey McIntosh - Yeah, he's undersized, but so what, there are many undersized point guards in college basketball.

You don't need to be huge to be a point guard. IMO, he looked great (very smooth and confident). Didn't play as

much as I thought he should have but when he was in there he got his teammates involved and showed good handle and

ability to take it to the hoop. He was communicating very well with C. Johnson, which was nice to see. Those two

seem to get along really well. He definitely has a positive attitude and is going to be a fan favorite and a great

teammate, no doubt about it.

Rahshon Clark - He looks bigger and more muscular to me. He also looks bouncier than ever. Some have said he's

struggled with his shot lately but I think it looked pretty good from what I saw. He hit some deep ones and also

flustered C. Johnson a little bit on defense (a bad matchup for Cory I think, but then again, I only saw half of the

game). I could just kind of sense from watching the team talk and joke with eachother that they all look up to

Rahson and it appears he's accepted the role of team leader. He's got so much talend and athleticism, I can't wait

to see him with GMAC coaching him!

Brock Jacobsen - Didn't really watch him much, but looks pretty built. His form is great thus has a really good

three point shot. I could see him being a Neal type player that comes in for spot minutes every once in a while.

Other notes:

Drake is going to be solid. Houston and Grant are very solid guards, from what I saw. I don't watch much Drake

basketball but they really stood out to me. Calvin is a very solid big man, and so is Keita, although I didn't see

him there. Grant is very aggressive and tough. He shoots it well and and the highlight of the night may have came

when he took it down the middle of the lane very aggresively and aboslutely STUFFED it home in traffic. Wow, that

was cool. He reminds me of a bulkier Dean Oliver (but maybe that's just because he's left-handed lol).

That's all I have for now. I wish I could have stayed for more, but it just wasn't in the cards. I'm pumped to see

Mike Taylor play, so I'll make sure to make it down there again soon and catch his team play!

ANF - America Needs Farmers - Thank God Iowa State produces-educates-supports them!

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 8%, Points required for next Level: 1,476
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 9
    Given: 64
    I was there for the second half of the 2nd and the third game. Cloned...that is exactly what Hubalek has done his last two games. I hope Gmac can get him disciplined and into our big man role or we could be in trouble.

I had two of my daughters with, so wasn't able to watch as close as I would like but the biggest thing I noticed was that Marsden did much more post playing in this game than his other outings. Posting up, taking it to the hoop with confidence, boxing out and was quite a bit more agressive in this game. I was happy with his play. Jessan Grey was pretty impressive too and I think he will be a great 3 or 4 this year.

It would be great if we had Alex Thompson this next year because of his agressive play in the paint, but hopefully him being on the practice squad will improve Hubalek and Marsdens play.

I thought it was interesting that even though we missed the 1st game, there were still comments being made about how Jiri was scowling during the game and floating around the perimeter and playing the sore loser role. I sure hope he gets that out of his system before November...

Addict
    Level completed: 83%, Points required for next Level: 316
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 78
    Although I was not able to make it to any of the games so far I do have a couple of comments. First, Hubalek is yet to have any serious practice time with Coach McDermott. I know to us he's been on the job for a while, but to this point I don't think he's been allowed to do much with the players. I'm sure that with the way that McDermott has groomed great interior players that he will do the same with Jiri. Just give it time this fall.

And about Drake. Call me crazy, but before Iowa and Iowa State started getting these big recruits I really thought Drake could be the best team in the state next year. Iowa lost their seniors and players like Tate and Tyler Smith were not decided yet. Iowa State had player defections and we were unsure if we'd have a PG. Now that has changed a little for us, but they are still not a pushover. They had a pretty decent team last year without Korver. Add him into that lineup and they should turn heads in the Valley.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    homer........I am pretty confident that McDermott will whip him into shape. It's just the whole crybaby syndrome that gets old. Reminds me of my 4 yr old when she is beat to the swing she wants to be on.....Contrast that with watching Korey J, Dunson, McIntosh, and Rashon(for a few) that are great players but play with such comradery and joking back and forth. Now THAT is refreshing......

I sat with CYS8T and he was talking to a guy who said that last year Taggart could walk on water. Nobody could touch him the way he played, and then look how the season went??????? Hopefully the same change, only opposite, happens to Hubalek........

All-Star
    Level completed: 49%, Points required for next Level: 510
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Clonehomer, I agree, Drake is going to suprise some people this year. Their guys really impressed me yesterday.

Cyclonesrule91, I also agree, we could be in trouble if the "sore loser" Jiri shows up at all next fall. It was very discouraging to see him like that, but homer makes a good point in saying that GMAC probably hasn't had much one on one time with him yet; that'll definitely help. My message to Jiri would be this: Learn to play down low and stay down low. We have enough guys standing around the perimeter. Mike, Corey, Dodie, Wesley and Rahshon can do that, not you. Focus on gaining weight, strength, and mental toughness.

ANF - America Needs Farmers - Thank God Iowa State produces-educates-supports them!

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 22.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 464
    Given: 412
    It's Cory J isn't it? Not Korey. Not a biggie but I've seen 'Korey' a lot lately but am pretty sure it isn't. Thanks for the reports!

Hall-Of-Famer
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Unhappy

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Cydkar &#064; 06&#045;26&#045;06 9&#58;41 am) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'> It&#39;s Cory J isn&#39;t it? Not Korey. Not a biggie but I&#39;ve seen &#39;Korey&#39; a lot lately but am pretty sure it isn&#39;t. Thanks for the reports&#33;

[/b][/quote]

I just looked at the roster sheet they hand out and we are both wrong.....it is Corey. My bad, that is the way I have been spelling it all along. That is the way a good friend of mine spells his name.

Walk On Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Cyclonesrule91 &#064; 06&#045;26&#045;06 9&#58;45 am) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
    I just looked at the roster sheet they hand out and we are both wrong.....it is Corey. My bad, that is the way I have been spelling it all along. That is the way a good friend of mine spells his name.
    [/b][/quote]

The rosters are wrong. I&#39;m sure it&#39;s "Cory". But it&#39;s "Corey" McIntosh. Last year, the rosters had names wrong also (e.g., "Huston" instead of "Houston" for Drake). Don&#39;t trust the rosters&#33;

BTW, thanks for the updates on the games. I couldn&#39;t make it last night. Too bad Jiri is still playing like a loser. I think GMac has his hands full with Jiri, but I&#39;m confident he can improve.

GO CYCLONES!

All-Star
    Level completed: 24%, Points required for next Level: 769
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    The only thing I would disagree with you guys on is Cory, Corey or Korey or whatever Johnson. He seems to make a good high school forward, but in the Big XII he just seems overmatched big time. I hope I am proven wrong, but I just don&#39;t see anything. And Drake players being impressive? Maybe in look, but not in play. Keita looks like he should dominate anyone in the league, but he is so uncoordinated that it is almost funny to watch. Stewart and Houston are decent guards but nothing unbelievable. Korver seems like a scrapper and Dat Nigman was the closest thing to a post player that actually gets after the ball and plays like a post. I think they will be average, but I doubt we are looking at an NCAA tourney team or anything.

ďAlso, I met a lot of Iowa State fans and I donít want to leave any of that behind.Ē - DARIUS DARKS on Staying a CLONE!!!

Matt (00 Alumn)
    Waukee, Iowa

All-Star
    Level completed: 24%, Points required for next Level: 769
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Also a Pessimistic fan I was talking to made a point I couldn&#39;t argue with. He said if Marsden and Thompson couldn&#39;t do anything in the playoffs and lost like 8-10 games at Ames high together, what makes fans think that they can sweep the Big XII? I couldn&#39;t really debate with him, but do think that they both have come along since H.S. and with GMAC&#39;s help they could hopefully be great big men.

ďAlso, I met a lot of Iowa State fans and I donít want to leave any of that behind.Ē - DARIUS DARKS on Staying a CLONE!!!

Matt (00 Alumn)
    Waukee, Iowa

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 100.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 415
    Given: 299

Wonder if McD will go with 3 guards and 2 forwards. Our team still looks like big man challenged. McD likes big men to rebound, take charges, able to pass the ball. May not be possible for a few months. Jessan may be the ticket after all. Griping will not sit well with McD. McD wants tpo be able to pass ther ball around to create a better shot. Any fumblers in Capitol City League?

And Drake plays 10 pressure people and they will not be a push over. For one, they play against good MVC teams and that makes one better. Plus they know our players pretty well after this summer.

Glad to see Tom Davis might beat the Squakeyes this year. He owes them one.

Let my Fred's Posse Ride: Georges, Naz, Hogue, Bryce, Nader, Monte, Matt, and McKay.

Rookie Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up
    I would love to see Iowa lose to drake. Tom Davis is one of my favorite coaches of all time, even though he coached at EIU. I really think that Drake could ahve a winning season this year. I&#39;m pulling for them (except for one game of course)

God Bless America

Recruit Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(CY ST8T &#064; 06&#045;26&#045;06 12&#58;16 pm) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'> Also a Pessimistic fan I was talking to made a point I couldn&#39;t argue with. He said if Marsden and Thompson couldn&#39;t do anything in the playoffs and lost like 8-10 games at Ames high together, what makes fans think that they can sweep the Big XII? I couldn&#39;t really debate with him, but do think that they both have come along since H.S. and with GMAC&#39;s help they could hopefully be great big men. [/b][/quote]

Ames had a terrible coach from what I hear, and didn&#39;t Ames do better once Thompson went to Iowa?

Recruit Achievements:

Thumbs Up
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(clone33 &#064; 06&#045;26&#045;06 1&#58;07 pm) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'> I would love to see Iowa lose to drake. Tom Davis is one of my favorite coaches of all time, even though he coached at EIU. I really think that Drake could ahve a winning season this year. I&#39;m pulling for them (except for one game of course) [/b][/quote]

I&#39;ve seen several people talk about how good the Drake guys look and how tough Drake is going to be next year. I&#39;m not sure I believe it. I went to a bunch of the summer league games last year, and the Drake guys dominated last year. I thought that Drake was going to kick ***, but once the season started...not so much. Their talent level is defintiely improving, but I think once the season starts we will only see a small improvement from last years Drake team.

The one Drake guy I would love to have is leonard houston. That guy is pretty damned good.

Prospect Achievements:

Thumbs Up
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(melkor &#064; 06&#045;27&#045;06 8&#58;21 am) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>

I&#39;ve seen several people talk about how good the Drake guys look and how tough Drake is going to be next year. I&#39;m not sure I believe it. I went to a bunch of the summer league games last year, and the Drake guys dominated last year. I thought that Drake was going to kick ***, but once the season started...not so much. Their talent level is defintiely improving, but I think once the season starts we will only see a small improvement from last years Drake team.

The one Drake guy I would love to have is leonard houston. That guy is pretty damned good.

[/b][/quote]

I agree. I thought the Drake players looked really athletic and good last year and they didn&#39;t do that well. Maybe they just can&#39;t put it together as a team.