Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 47
  1. #1
    All-Star
    Points: 18,454, Level: 41
    Level completed: 45%, Points required for next Level: 496
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    zumbro clones's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Southern Minnesota
    Posts
    1,449
    Points
    18,454
    Level
    41
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Rock bands - cheap knock offs from original bands

    I just returned from vacation and we listened to the radio quite a bit more than I normally do. It seems that there are a lot of rock bands that not only copy an original band's style but also sound like the original bands lead singer. For example:

    Nickelback -> Theory of a Dead Man

    The sound is pretty similar.

    In an earlier era:

    Beatles -> Badfinger

    I've heard copy-cat bands that sound like Counting Crows, Blues Traveller, and Alice In Chains.

    That got me thinking, what other rock bands that release a hit single that nothing more than cheap knock-offs of better original bands? What are your thoughts?



  2. #2
    Addict
    Points: 81,388, Level: 88
    Level completed: 69%, Points required for next Level: 562
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Ames, Born and Raised
    Posts
    8,423
    Points
    81,388
    Level
    88
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 0

    Re: Rock bands - cheap knock offs from original bands

    Why would anyone want to sound like Nickelback? I'm not even sure why Nickelback wants to sound like Nickelback.


    It's Bushbama!

    2 time Chupacabra of Humor Award Recipient

    Quote Originally Posted by joefrog
    I will admit, I am to blame in sometimes making mountains out of molehills.

  3. #3
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 59,219, Level: 75
    Level completed: 45%, Points required for next Level: 831
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    3,706
    Points
    59,219
    Level
    75
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 21
    Given: 5

    Re: Rock bands - cheap knock offs from original bands

    Quote Originally Posted by zumbro clones View Post
    I just returned from vacation and we listened to the radio quite a bit more than I normally do. It seems that there are a lot of rock bands that not only copy an original band's style but also sound like the original bands lead singer. For example:

    Nickelback -> Theory of a Dead Man

    The sound is pretty similar.

    In an earlier era:

    Beatles -> Badfinger

    I've heard copy-cat bands that sound like Counting Crows, Blues Traveller, and Alice In Chains.

    That got me thinking, what other rock bands that release a hit single that nothing more than cheap knock-offs of better original bands? What are your thoughts?
    Does Green Day qualify? They just copy their own songs over and over.



  4. #4
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 70,663, Level: 82
    Level completed: 54%, Points required for next Level: 787
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    cyfan964's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    4 blocks from the Jack
    Posts
    4,469
    Points
    70,663
    Level
    82
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 10
    Given: 35

    Re: Rock bands - cheap knock offs from original bands

    Quote Originally Posted by CarolinaCy View Post
    Does Green Day qualify? They just copy their own songs over and over.
    Lump Dave Matthews and Jack Johnson into this category as well. For the record I don't mind either, but all their songs are the same.


    Now that MBB is back, do we still have to pretend that WBB matters?

    -acgclone

  5. #5
    All-Star
    Points: 24,467, Level: 47
    Level completed: 92%, Points required for next Level: 83
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    CYKID's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Clive
    Posts
    1,006
    Points
    24,467
    Level
    47
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Rock bands - cheap knock offs from original bands

    Krokus had the best ACDC sound alike song - Long stick goes Boom



  6. #6
    Addict
    Points: 76,794, Level: 86
    Level completed: 14%, Points required for next Level: 1,556
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation First ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Khorasan
    Posts
    5,111
    Points
    76,794
    Level
    86
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 0

    Re: Rock bands - cheap knock offs from original bands

    Quote Originally Posted by CarolinaCy View Post
    Does Green Day qualify? They just copy their own songs over and over.
    Green Day is the "Chicago" of current bands. They made one song and sold it 1,287,531 times as different songs


    I'm baaack! See my Hot Milk For Breakfast blog under Social Groups for more details

  7. #7
    Starter
    Points: 10,622, Level: 31
    Level completed: 11%, Points required for next Level: 628
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Robins, IA
    Posts
    646
    Points
    10,622
    Level
    31
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 1

    Re: Rock bands - cheap knock offs from original bands

    This is dumb. Essentially every band is a "knock off" of another. All musicians have influences.



  8. #8
    All-Star
    Points: 18,454, Level: 41
    Level completed: 45%, Points required for next Level: 496
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    zumbro clones's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Southern Minnesota
    Posts
    1,449
    Points
    18,454
    Level
    41
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Rock bands - cheap knock offs from original bands

    Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Jacobs View Post
    This is dumb. Essentially every band is a "knock off" of another. All musicians have influences.
    You are right. Influences are one thing. Copying a sound or a lead singer is another. It's clear that some bands are just following in another bands wake.



  9. #9
    Addict
    Points: 135,716, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    clones_jer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    IA
    Posts
    8,337
    Points
    135,716
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Rock bands - cheap knock offs from original bands

    Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Jacobs View Post
    This is dumb. Essentially every band is a "knock off" of another. All musicians have influences.
    Do not insult the music-snobs ... next your going to say that obscure beer brands suck and then all hell will break loose in CF-ville.



  10. #10
    Addict Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Oldpeopleville
    Posts
    9,207
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Rock bands - cheap knock offs from original bands

    Quote Originally Posted by clones_jer View Post
    Do not insult the music-snobs ... next your going to say that obscure beer brands suck and then all hell will break loose in CF-ville.
    And then someone will inevitably spell something wrong and the grammar police will start busting skulls.


    "Seven minutes to glory."

  11. #11
    All-Star
    Points: 18,454, Level: 41
    Level completed: 45%, Points required for next Level: 496
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    zumbro clones's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Southern Minnesota
    Posts
    1,449
    Points
    18,454
    Level
    41
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Rock bands - cheap knock offs from original bands

    Where's Angie when I need to get this back on track!



  12. #12
    Addict
    Points: 81,388, Level: 88
    Level completed: 69%, Points required for next Level: 562
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Ames, Born and Raised
    Posts
    8,423
    Points
    81,388
    Level
    88
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 0

    Re: Rock bands - cheap knock offs from original bands

    Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone62 View Post
    And then someone will inevitably spell something wrong and the grammar police will start busting skulls.
    I scanned your post hoping for a grammatical error, but alas, nothing.


    It's Bushbama!

    2 time Chupacabra of Humor Award Recipient

    Quote Originally Posted by joefrog
    I will admit, I am to blame in sometimes making mountains out of molehills.

  13. #13
    Speechless
    Points: 475,687, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 37.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Al_4_State's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Driftless Region
    Posts
    18,663
    Points
    475,687
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 45
    Given: 5

    Re: Rock bands - cheap knock offs from original bands

    Creed ripping off Pearl Jam. Or at least Stapp ripping off Vedder's vocals. I still remember the MTV Celebrity DeathMatch fight between them. Stapp starts fileting Vedder and yells "I stole your voice and now I'm stealing your skin!". Of course, Vedder's internal organs/skeleton slay Stapp (now wearing Vedder's skin) in the end.


    In 1984, I was hospitalized for approaching perfection.

  14. #14
    Addict Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Oldpeopleville
    Posts
    9,207
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Rock bands - cheap knock offs from original bands

    Quote Originally Posted by Al_4_State View Post
    Creed ripping off Pearl Jam. Or at least Stapp ripping off Vedder's vocals. I still remember the MTV Celebrity DeathMatch fight between them. Stapp starts fileting Vedder and yells "I stole your voice and now I'm stealing your skin!". Of course, Vedder's internal organs/skeleton slay Stapp (now wearing Vedder's skin) in the end.
    If I ever see anyone ever say Creed or Nickelback create music again, I'm gonna punch some poor kitten.


    "Seven minutes to glory."

  15. #15
    All-Star
    Points: 23,411, Level: 46
    Level completed: 87%, Points required for next Level: 139
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran10000 Experience Points
    illinoiscyclone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Ames
    Posts
    1,693
    Points
    23,411
    Level
    46
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 0

    Re: Rock bands - cheap knock offs from original bands

    Quote Originally Posted by cyfan964 View Post
    Lump Dave Matthews and Jack Johnson into this category as well. For the record I don't mind either, but all their songs are the same.
    Not so sure about this one, unless you want to lump all acoustic music together. DMB sucks, and Jack Johnson is awesome.



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • Football
  • Iowa State vs. North Dakota State
  • August 30, 2014
  • 06:00 PM