Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 49
    Given: 34

Iowa State football in the 1970s

I am very intrigued by this decade in our football program, a period in which we had some successful coaches in Johnny Majors and Earle Bruce, and we had a chance to stake a claim at being the dominant football program in the state and a true competitor in the Big 8. We went to bowl games in '71, '72, '77, and '78, and the '76 team finished 8-3 and ranked No. 18 but was snubbed from the postseason.

I have heard stories from some on here that the school administrators did not give Majors and Bruce the tools to succeed, and thus our modest success vanished. As I was born in 1985, I was not around to experience this era of ISU football.

I was hoping to hear some stories/insights from you Cyclone fans who cheered on some of our most successful teams in our history. What happened during this decade that allowed us to succeed? Why could we not sustain it?

Bench Warmer
    Level completed: 58%, Points required for next Level: 297
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranCreated Album pictures10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7
    Given: 1

Re: Iowa State football in the 1970s

IMO, the facilities were on par with other conference schools, except for Nebraska and Oklahoma. We opened the new stadium in 1975 with the thought that John Ruan would one day fund the bowling of the end zone (sounds familiar eh?). The Olson Building for administration was first rate for the time.

Earle had great connections in Florida and was bringing in talent from that state. During this time, the Florida schools were not powerhouses in football and most of the talent was leaving the state. Earle also had connections in Ohio and cultivated talent from there as well as Iowa.

When Earle left for his alma mater,Ohio State, the ISU AD Lou McCollough (sp?) made a horrible hire in Donnie Duncan. Duncan was a nice enough man, but not a good coach although he had some good assistants. The training regiment was suspect and we had many key injuries during his tenure. His recruiting was abysmal and was the greatest contribution to our downfall.

Then there was Criner, a disaster.

"When you're in jail, a good friend will be trying to bail you out. A best friend will be in the cell next to you saying, 'Damn, that was fun'."
    Groucho Marx

Starter
    Level completed: 35%, Points required for next Level: 658
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

It could be said that ISU picked the wrong decade to be good. If you could put ISU success and bowl trips....and slap them into the 80's. I think you see an explosion of a new generation of fans, potentially a bowled in JT and more money.

The 80's media market grew by leaps and bounds with ESPN, regional telecasts and so on. All of which passed by ISU and landed with Iowa's success. And what happened? The hawks success ballooned a new, younger fan base, they were on TV, ranked...etc. Our facilities fades, fan base grew older, money dried up...you know the rest

ISU is still feeling the effect of this....but has made strides to right the ship. Only took 20 plus years.

"Unless a man is born again, he will not see the Kingdom of Heaven" John 3:3

Bench Warmer
    Level completed: 52%, Points required for next Level: 389
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

Having known some players from the '71 team, they all respected Majors but they loved their coaches. That coaching staff was quite impressive.

It was a known fact at the time that Majors would not be here for the long haul. His eyes were always on Tennessee...

Bench Warmer
    Level completed: 13%, Points required for next Level: 702
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

I went to all the Cyclone games from '71-'74 at Clyde Williams, and was recruited to play by Earle Bruce. I think back to the recruiting process then, and compare it to now, and it really wasn't all that much different. In that era, Iowa State had players from all over the country, not just Florida and Ohio.

My opinion is that it isn't a whole lot different today then yesterday in terms of what it takes to win. You need athletes (i.e. good recruiting), good coaching, money, and fan support. The one major difference maybe that I just thought of as I typed was the "instant" media coverage of today, versus not so much back in the 70's.

I hatre to say it, but since Earle Bruce, we really haven't had an outstanding coach. I think Dan McCarney was much like Johnny Orr, in that he ressurected fan interest and excitement in a program that was in the crapper. So in that respect, I give a solid B to Coach Mac for what he did, but he couldn't maintain it, and therefore had to be let go.

Duncan was an assistant at Oklahoma, Criner came from Boise State (D-II then), Walden came from Washington State and in my opinion, he is the one that drove the program into the ground. I know many of his assistants from that era, and they would tell me just how inept he was, and how little he worked and planned.

In all fairness, if you take a man at face value for who he is, and what he says, Chizik was a good hire. The problem was he was two faced, but he hid it. Now comes Coach Rhoades, and my gut feel is he is going to get this job done. There is a little Dan McCarney in him, but a whole lot of Paul Rhoades, and Paul Rhoades seems to me to truly want to be here and turn this thing around. I believe in this guy, I just think as Cyclone fans we have to be realistic. He is going to make some mistakes, and his talent at this point isn't outsatnding. If they are good coaches, then maybe he can mold them into a unit, because alone they aren't all that great. That's what good coaches do.

I am behind this man 100%.

Go Cyclones

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 105
    Given: 19

Quote Originally Posted by yoteforever View Post
    I went to all the Cyclone games from '71-'74 at Clyde Williams, and was recruited to play by Earle Bruce. I think back to the recruiting process then, and compare it to now, and it really wasn't all that much different. In that era, Iowa State had players from all over the country, not just Florida and Ohio.

My opinion is that it isn't a whole lot different today then yesterday in terms of what it takes to win. You need athletes (i.e. good recruiting), good coaching, money, and fan support. The one major difference maybe that I just thought of as I typed was the "instant" media coverage of today, versus not so much back in the 70's.

I hatre to say it, but since Earle Bruce, we really haven't had an outstanding coach. I think Dan McCarney was much like Johnny Orr, in that he ressurected fan interest and excitement in a program that was in the crapper. So in that respect, I give a solid B to Coach Mac for what he did, but he couldn't maintain it, and therefore had to be let go.

Duncan was an assistant at Oklahoma, Criner came from Boise State (D-II then), Walden came from Washington State and in my opinion, he is the one that drove the program into the ground. I know many of his assistants from that era, and they would tell me just how inept he was, and how little he worked and planned.

In all fairness, if you take a man at face value for who he is, and what he says, Chizik was a good hire. The problem was he was two faced, but he hid it. Now comes Coach Rhoades, and my gut feel is he is going to get this job done. There is a little Dan McCarney in him, but a whole lot of Paul Rhoades, and Paul Rhoades seems to me to truly want to be here and turn this thing around. I believe in this guy, I just think as Cyclone fans we have to be realistic. He is going to make some mistakes, and his talent at this point isn't outsatnding. If they are good coaches, then maybe he can mold them into a unit, because alone they aren't all that great. That's what good coaches do.

Go Cyclones

Solid post

AND

RHOADS

Addict
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 28

Go Cyclones
    Very interesting. I hope you are right about CPR.

All-Star
    Level completed: 14%, Points required for next Level: 778
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4
    Given: 25

Quote Originally Posted by larrysarmy View Post
    It could be said that ISU picked the wrong decade to be good. If you could put ISU success and bowl trips....and slap them into the 80's. I think you see an explosion of a new generation of fans, potentially a bowled in JT and more money.

The 80's media market grew by leaps and bounds with ESPN, regional telecasts and so on. All of which passed by ISU and landed with Iowa's success. And what happened? The hawks success ballooned a new, younger fan base, they were on TV, ranked...etc. Our facilities fades, fan base grew older, money dried up...you know the rest

ISU is still feeling the effect of this....but has made strides to right the ship. Only took 20 plus years.
    Great point.

Addict
    Level completed: 52%, Points required for next Level: 930
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 36
    Given: 44

Go Cyclones
    One of the better posts I've seen all year.

I always appreciate the perspecive of some who's seen a lot of ISU football.

Rookie
    Thumbs Up

Go Cyclones
    yoteforever -

Aside from hurting in-state recruiting, I think that Chizik was a fine hire for ISU. I think that he wasn't 2-faced. I think that it was clear from the get-go that he was using ISU purely as a stepping stone for his career. To that end, I believe that he honestly wanted to bring success to ISU though. Frankly, I doubt that he ever intended to leave ISU so early. Who would have ever guessed that Tuberville would have gotten axed in such a big hurry at Auburn? Were it not for a such a golden opportunity to nab his dream job, I think that Chizik would have remained at ISU and would have likely righted the ship.

However, that said, I do believe that Rhoads is an even better hire because I believe that he genuinely cares about Iowa too. Furthermore, I'm really impressed with his DC hire too. That could end up making a huge difference for ISU too.

All-Star
    Level completed: 66%, Points required for next Level: 314
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by homerHAWKeye777 View Post
    yoteforever -

Aside from hurting in-state recruiting, I think that Chizik was a fine hire for ISU. I think that he wasn't 2-faced. I think that it was clear from the get-go that he was using ISU purely as a stepping stone for his career. To that end, I believe that he honestly wanted to bring success to ISU though. Frankly, I doubt that he ever intended to leave ISU so early. Who would have ever guessed that Tuberville would have gotten axed in such a big hurry at Auburn? Were it not for a such a golden opportunity to nab his dream job, I think that Chizik would have remained at ISU and would have likely righted the ship.

Sorry, but I have to disagree with you about old cheese-stick. He could not find the field on game day. Maybe someday that will change for him, but let him cut his teeth somewhere else.

Go Clones!!
    Gig 'em Aggies!!
    Saw 'em off!!

Pro
    Level completed: 84%, Points required for next Level: 185
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Go Cyclones
    In fairness to Walden, he didn't cost us any scholarships.

Criner was the real killer for our current program.

Addict
    Level completed: 52%, Points required for next Level: 930
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 36
    Given: 44

Quote Originally Posted by CyPride View Post
    In fairness to Walden, he didn't cost us any scholarships.

Criner was the real killer for our current program.
    Both those guys were bad.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

I was on Major's teams. It was hard work and a great time in my life. In the end, we were good and we knew it.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 105

Quote Originally Posted by rebecacy View Post
    I was on Major's teams. It was hard work and a great time in my life. In the end, we were good and we knew it.