Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 46
    Given: 12

Re: Mac looks ahead...

Is it October yet? Cant wait to see fully loaded new roster!

All-Star
    Level completed: 30%, Points required for next Level: 841
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 14
    Given: 2

It's amazing to see the depth we can have this year. It's been a long time since there have been so many options for any coach, especially Mac.

Along with the many returning players: Brackins, JVB, Garrett, Staiger, Hamilton, Buckley, Boozer...

We also get a bunch of new-comers (or red-shirt) that can all possibly be big contributors: Colvin, Christopherson, Pomlee, Dendy, & Gilstrap.

That's 12 guys that I expect will all see quite a bit of floor-time this year. Many Big XII benches are only 2-4 men deep. We may legitimately be 5+ men deep on our bench this year!

Hopefully we can get a couple W's on this alone; wearing out other teams with our abundance of fresh bodies

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 84%, Points required for next Level: 306
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Quote Originally Posted by ISU_phoria View Post
    It's amazing to see the depth we can have this year. It's been a long time since there have been so many options for any coach, especially Mac.

Along with the many returning players: Brackins, JVB, Garrett, Staiger, Hamilton, Buckley, Boozer...

We also get a bunch of new-comers (or red-shirt) that can all possibly be big contributors: Colvin, Christopherson, Pomlee, Dendy, & Gilstrap.

That's 12 guys that I expect will all see quite a bit of floor-time this year. Many Big XII benches are only 2-4 men deep. We may legitimately be 5+ men deep on our bench this year!

Hopefully we can get a couple W's on this alone; wearing out other teams with our abundance of fresh bodies
    Should see our guards making the ball handler work over the entire length of the floor on defense.

Starter
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 14
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

hopefully we can see a little more...up tempo...style of play. With this kind of depth players should be able to get breaks and stay fresh!

All-Star
    Level completed: 7%, Points required for next Level: 938
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4

Only concern is Greg's timing of player rotation. It seems to me he often took out "hot" players and stuck with or put in "cold" players. So I hope having 12 potential game contributors doesn't mean he takes out "inset player name here" because he's only alloted to have 10 minutes in this game. Greg needs to work on riding the "hot" player and not worrying about whether he's the starter or trying to get someone else minutes. Got to go with what makes sense at that moment.

Now it's different if it's pre-Big 12 or if we are up 30 points.

I can't imagine I was the only one last year that saw changes in our effectiveness based on player rotation (I'm not talking about Brackins). Just random each game. But it often seemed like someone would come in to spell a player... had positive impact on the floor (offense or defense) only to return to the bench during the next timeout for someone who wasn't effective. It's like he had it charted up before the game and didn't alter his plan based on the actual results taking place at the moment.

I have faith Greg will turn it around this year and surprise people. I think ISU finishes well ahead of national pre-season expectations. Outside ISU fans, the public doesn't realize the potential of this team.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 155
    Given: 24

We had a hot player last year who wasn't named Craig?

Addict
    Level completed: 54%, Points required for next Level: 739
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 36

Quote Originally Posted by Balls View Post
    Only concern is Greg's timing of player rotation. It seems to me he often took out "hot" players and stuck with or put in "cold" players. So I hope having 12 potential game contributors doesn't mean he takes out "inset player name here" because he's only alloted to have 10 minutes in this game. Greg needs to work on riding the "hot" player and not worrying about whether he's the starter or trying to get someone else minutes. Got to go with what makes sense at that moment.

Now it's different if it's pre-Big 12 or if we are up 30 points.

I can't imagine I was the only one last year that saw changes in our effectiveness based on player rotation (I'm not talking about Brackins). Just random each game. But it often seemed like someone would come in to spell a player... had positive impact on the floor (offense or defense) only to return to the bench during the next timeout for someone who wasn't effective. It's like he had it charted up before the game and didn't alter his plan based on the actual results taking place at the moment.

I have faith Greg will turn it around this year and surprise people. I think ISU finishes well ahead of national pre-season expectations. Outside ISU fans, the public doesn't realize the potential of this team.
    I can't speak to specific incidents, but McDs pulling of hot players may have been due to lack of defensive effort despite the offensive side going well. He stresses D and rebounding over scoring. Obviously, we need to score as well but he seems to rewards those who are playing D and grabbing Rebs more.

ISU Grad 1997.
    ISU Fan for Life.

Not in CO anymore but I'm not changing my name :)

Rookie
    Level completed: 93%, Points required for next Level: 44
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

very positive outlook and we should be good

"Whoever said it doesn't matter if you win or lose probably lost."

Starter
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by CyinCo View Post
    I can't speak to specific incidents, but McDs pulling of hot players may have been due to lack of defensive effort despite the offensive side going well. He stresses D and rebounding over scoring. Obviously, we need to score as well but he seems to rewards those who are playing D and grabbing Rebs more.
    Pulling players for not playing defense when they are hot on the offensive end, for me, doens't seem like the right thing to do. Yes, of course mac does stress defense, but is pulling them from the court at the next timeout the best thing to do?

I really don't think so. If this was the case last season, I would say the the coaches need to be drilling that into them a little more. For instance at practice if they do something great on the offensive end and then F up on the defensive end, the coaches need to embarrass the kid. Let him know that it's NOT okay to slack on the defensive end of the court, even if he did just do something good onthe offensive end. Then in game situations after a good play or shot on O, the coaches ALL need to be reminding the person responsible for the good play to get back on defense.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 45.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,785
    Given: 1,502

OK, I'm ready for some basketball! No matter what, this is going to be a lot more fun!

Since we are an elite team now, let's go get that One Cyclone Moment.
    Make this one for the ages!

http://rememberingdoria.wordpress.com/

Legend
    Overall activity: 37.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 468
    Given: 639

Quote Originally Posted by bigcyfan82 View Post
    Pulling players for not playing defense when they are hot on the offensive end, for me, doens't seem like the right thing to do. Yes, of course mac does stress defense, but is pulling them from the court at the next timeout the best thing to do?

I really don't think so. If this was the case last season, I would say the the coaches need to be drilling that into them a little more. For instance at practice if they do something great on the offensive end and then F up on the defensive end, the coaches need to embarrass the kid. Let him know that it's NOT okay to slack on the defensive end of the court, even if he did just do something good onthe offensive end. Then in game situations after a good play or shot on O, the coaches ALL need to be reminding the person responsible for the good play to get back on defense.
    I would say many college coaches disagree with that, and there is no better way to change the behavior than removing PT.
    Also, could you give specific examples of when you thought this occurred.

Addict
    Level completed: 54%, Points required for next Level: 739
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 36

Quote Originally Posted by bigcyfan82 View Post

I'm not endorsing one way or another. I'm just tossing a theory out there as to why you might have seen this last season. Just a theory, though.

ISU Grad 1997.
    ISU Fan for Life.

Not in CO anymore but I'm not changing my name :)

Starter
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by swarthmoreCY View Post
    I would say many college coaches disagree with that, and there is no better way to change the behavior than removing PT.
    Also, could you give specific examples of when you thought this occurred.
    I don't really have specific examples. I was just responding to a post earlier that was just a theory. And I would say that the college coaches would would agree and disagree. As a coach, you have to adjust to the players. Some take *** chewings to get the point across, others take a kind word of encouragement or confidence, and others take the ride your *** on the pine aproach.

When I played sports, I would rather the coach chew my *** while on the floor, and then explain what I did wrong during a timeout or halftime if I hadn't figured it out already

All-Star
    Level completed: 7%, Points required for next Level: 938
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4

I brought it up and can't think of the details around "exact" examples. I just remember being frustrated during games on both player rotations and the timing of Greg using his timeouts.

Several times using timeouts after we go on a run... or not using them when the other team is on a 4 point run, then dunks... making the crowd go crazy. Most coaches would call a time-out. Greg would wait it out allowing the run to go to a 20-4 run, only stopped by the TV time-out. This was fictitious example... but you get the idea.