Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 0

Lack of Students at game AGAIN!

Sorry to bring this up again but if I were Cyclone Alley I would be embarrassed how they could not even fill the lower levels up more than about 3/4 full yesterday with Jamie Pollard being their guest for the game. It was a 5pm Saturday game, I know it was cold out but that didn't stop the public from doing a pretty good job of filling the rest of Hilton up.

If this trend continues I hate to say it but Cyclone Alley may need to be shrunk down or something so we don't have several rows of empty seats behind the basket. I know some people in my balcony corner section have migrated over to the balcony student section behind the basket because they can get front row seats there compared to being 10+ rows up.

Any ideas how to get those sections packed for games other than the big conference games? If they are not packed Tuesday night for Mizzou who is one of our North rivals and usually a great game to watch then there is a serious problem.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 27%, Points required for next Level: 950
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4
    Given: 21

Re: Lack of Students at game AGAIN!

ummm i have a few reasons...
    1 very very very cold
    2 it was baylor...
    3 the students that did come, were awesome, haha Bruce with a goose egg!!!

Iowa State: Anyone who's a true college basketball fan needs to see a game at Hilton Coliseum. Nice is in the DNA of Iowans and the fans here are particularly gracious -- even when the home team loses but gives a great effort, they are appreciative.

ESPN.com picked Hilton Coliseum as the "Hot Arena" in the Big 12...coaches in the league noted that, "regardless of talent, the Cyclones have a home court like no other."

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

I wasn't at the game, but watched on TV. Couldn't really tell it wasn't full. They showed the section quite often on the broadcast and those kids seemed to be doing a good job of cheering on their team.

Students have to walk to get around, and yesterday would have been a chilly walk.

Addict
    Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 460
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by cmoore_23 View Post
    ummm i have a few reasons...
    1 very very very cold
    2 it was baylor...
    3 the students that did come, were awesome, haha Bruce with a goose egg!!!

Umm, it was cold for the rest of us too plus some people drive hours just to come to the game. Cold weather should never be an excuse...

Kudos to those that did show though. I'm not faulting them but something needs to be done to get the ones that signed up for CA to actually show up.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 27%, Points required for next Level: 950
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4
    Given: 21

i came from ankeny, but like he said, alot of students do walk, and its baylor!! no big deal

Iowa State: Anyone who's a true college basketball fan needs to see a game at Hilton Coliseum. Nice is in the DNA of Iowans and the fans here are particularly gracious -- even when the home team loses but gives a great effort, they are appreciative.

ESPN.com picked Hilton Coliseum as the "Hot Arena" in the Big 12...coaches in the league noted that, "regardless of talent, the Cyclones have a home court like no other."

Giving it a go
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 11
    Given: 3

The students that were there were great. We need a way to fill in the lower levels when some don't show. It just looks bad on T.V. with empty seats visable.
    Other schools treat student tickets differently.
    -- An online registration a day or two before the game which shows the number of students attending that game. They print out a receipt that allows them into the game. This allows the remaining seats to be sold as individual buyers. This would fill in the empty seats.

I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everyone.

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by cmoore_23 View Post
    i came from ankeny, but like he said, alot of students do walk, and its baylor!! no big deal
    Glad everyone doesn't have this attitude else we'd have a near empty Hilton for over half the games we play. Who cares the opponent, this team needs a packed Hilton EVERY game. This is the same kind of thinking and attitude Pollard is trying to buck. If the fans want to see ISU succeed, they need to show up for games and not only financially support them but show the rest of the nation how tough it is to play when they come to play here.

Do you use the same excuse when it's too cold or hot for FB?

Pro
    Level completed: 9%, Points required for next Level: 913
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 6

remember, those upper decks are never going to be full this year. what did pollard say? 300+ student tickets were never sold, and like, 100+ were sold, but never even picked up? where did i read that?

All-Star
    Level completed: 20%, Points required for next Level: 888
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by chadm View Post
    The students that were there were great. We need a way to fill in the lower levels when some don't show. It just looks bad on T.V. with empty seats visable.
    Other schools treat student tickets differently.
    -- An online registration a day or two before the game which shows the number of students attending that game. They print out a receipt that allows them into the game. This allows the remaining seats to be sold as individual buyers. This would fill in the empty seats.

What schools do this? I was trying to think of a way we could implement a system like this, but I didn't think it was feasible. Do you know how well it works?

Pro
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 505
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 15
    Given: 1

Hmph, I was wondering when the first post ragging on the students was gonna show up...
    Looks like this is going to be an every game thing, whining about how there aren't enough students at the games. I'm not saying I don't wish there were more students there, but complaining about it here isn't going to change anything. Cyclone Alley made some noise, which was good, so.. yeah. And for everyone... if you're really upset about the number of students at the games, talk to the Athletics Department and tell them they should work on that or something.

All-Star
    Level completed: 49%, Points required for next Level: 510
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by travman23 View Post
    Glad everyone doesn't have this attitude else we'd have a near empty Hilton for over half the games we play. Who cares the opponent, this team needs a packed Hilton EVERY game. This is the same kind of thinking and attitude Pollard is trying to buck. If the fans want to see ISU succeed, they need to show up for games and not only financially support them but show the rest of the nation how tough it is to play when they come to play here.

Do you use the same excuse when it's too cold or hot for FB?
    Exactly. The cold excuse and the "it's only Baylor" excuse are BS. Obviously, there are always going to be circumstances for people that won't allow them to attend games - that's understandable. But if your only reasons are because it's cold out or because of the opponent and you live somewhat close to Ames, then I can't understand that. As for students, get a ride from a buddy if it's cold or it's a long walk. The noise was good against Baylor but the numbers weren't. I watched the replay and defintely noticed huge voids in Cyclone Alley.

Addict
    Overall activity: 25.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 70
    Given: 119

I think something we just have to accept (to a degree) is that their are varying levels of fans for all teams. This includes the hardcore all the way to the fair-weather. As we get better, more of the latter will take interest. Even schools w/ major tradition experience this when they have a few down years. I wish it were different for us, but we all must understand that not everyone is a basketball (or sports in general) fanatic...

that said however, students, get your *** to the games and cheer. GO CYCLONES!!!

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Skyh13 View Post
    Hmph, I was wondering when the first post ragging on the students was gonna show up...
    Looks like this is going to be an every game thing, whining about how there aren't enough students at the games. I'm not saying I don't wish there were more students there, but complaining about it here isn't going to change anything. Cyclone Alley made some noise, which was good, so.. yeah. And for everyone... if you're really upset about the number of students at the games, talk to the Athletics Department and tell them they should work on that or something.
    It's starting to become an every game thing with noticable empty seats in the student sections so that is why you keep seeing this topic coming up. People notice this because the student section is in a prominent location...

If I was the athletics department here'd be my way of getting the students to show: pack your lower level sections every game else we'll take some of them away and sell them at premium prices to people who would PAY to sit there.

Seriously, some of you students think this is no big deal but don't think for a second that Pollard might have thoughts of taking some of those seats he could be getting $2500 NCC donorships from people that used to sit there. I would prefer the students there because they make more noise and get into the game. But if they can't fill the sections full we also need to raise money for renovations and that is an aweful tempting possibility to reduce the number of student seats in the lower level if I can turn it into more revenue and still fill the seats.

Last edited by CYdTracked; 02-04-2007 at 01:00 PM.

Giving it a go
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 11
    Given: 3

What schools do this? I was trying to think of a way we could implement a system like this, but I didn't think it was feasible. Do you know how well it works?
    I wish I could remember. I read about this a few months ago surfing through other schools message boards.

I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everyone.

Starter
    Level completed: 61%, Points required for next Level: 316
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

I think this horse is pretty dead, wait I saw it twitch, better keep beating it.