Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 58
    Given: 69

Business School Rankings

I thought this topic deserved a thread of it's own because one of our key basketball prospects is saying that's one important thing he's looking at.

I'm not sure where ISU ranks, but does it really matter at all? I've worked in the business world for 20 years now and I maintain for the most part it does not. I've run into business owners who are complete geniuses and success stories and they just have high school educations. On the other hand I've met complete duds who have great pedigrees with MBA's from Harvard.

What do the non students think who know what it's like in the "real world"?

Last edited by Bobber; 07-04-2009 at 12:27 PM.

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 144
    Given: 247

Re: Business School Rankings

Quote Originally Posted by Bobber View Post
    I thought this topic deserved a thread of it's own because one of our key basketball prospects is saying that's one important thing he's looking at.
    I'm sure he's sincere about this, but then why would Kansas be one of his heavy favorites?

All-Star
    Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 1,172
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 78
    Given: 19

Quote Originally Posted by Tornado man View Post
    I'm sure he's sincere about this, but then why would Kansas be one of his heavy favorites?
    I'm guessing that has more to do with the championship thing.

Starter
    Level completed: 58%, Points required for next Level: 339
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4
    Given: 0

If HB is one and done, why would he care? I don't think he does, but I'm sure his mom does.

All-Star
    Level completed: 37%, Points required for next Level: 573
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

I'm not sure where ISU ranks, but does it really matter at all? I've worked in the business world for 20 years now and I maintain for the most part it does not. I've run into business owners who are complete geniuses and success stories and they just have high school educations. On the other hand I've met complete duds who have great pedigrees with MBA's from Harvard.

It probably does not matter in terms of how good an employee/businessman someone will be. But it definitely matters in terms of networking and opportunities. There are a lot of jobs, especially jobs right out of school (either undergraduate or graduate), that you can be considered for from an "elite" school that you cannot gain consideration for from an average quality school.

I considered both The University of Chicago and The University of Iowa when deciding on my MBA. Unless you just didn't care to take on the debt load associated with Chicago, it was more or less impossible to make a rational argument to go to Iowa over Chicago.

All-Star
    Level completed: 72%, Points required for next Level: 316
    Achievements:
    VeteranCreated Album pictures25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

Even stranger, the ranks of self made men are full of complete duds and/or ********s who are successful in spite of themselves. Seriously, business school is important. I kept and used my textbooks for years. Hard work will take the abilities you have a long way without regard to your level of education. I went to ISU just as the business department was coming together. My degree is Industrial Administration. k The curriculum looked a lot like business management slanted toward quantitative for manufacturing plant settings.

Last edited by Angie; 07-05-2009 at 12:39 PM. Reason: language filter

Chile Mac is on vacation.
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 59.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 839
    Given: 2,150

Quote Originally Posted by ericlambi View Post
    It probably does not matter in terms of how good an employee/businessman someone will be. But it definitely matters in terms of networking and opportunities. There are a lot of jobs, especially jobs right out of school (either undergraduate or graduate), that you can be considered for from an "elite" school that you cannot gain consideration for from an average quality school.

I considered both The University of Chicago and The University of Iowa when deciding on my MBA. Unless you just didn't care to take on the debt load associated with Chicago, it was more or less impossible to make a rational argument to go to Iowa over Chicago.
    Just to throw it in, also some may not want to live in Hyde Park. I know I don't.

Bench Warmer
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

Economics Department Rankings

Economic rankings for colleges. HB has stated that he would likely go the economics route.

Notables:
    6. Stanford
    18.Duke
    20.Minnesota
    34.Iowa
    39.North Carolina
    61.Kentucky
    65.Iowa State
    72.Kansas
    221.Drake

Notice a trend? All of the contenders are in the top 100. Iowa State might not look good on that list but out of 240 schools in the rankings they are in the top 25%....not bad. They are also better then Kansas .

Also most people I've talked to said it really doesn't matter where you go for economics...you get the same education at Stanford then Iowa....jobs are mostly the same.

Rankings: All Economics

another ranking...All economics this time. INTERNATIONAL UNIVERSITIES AS WELL.

Notables:
    6.Stanford
    29.Minnesota
    35.Duke
    62.Iowa State
    72.Iowa
    107.Kentucky
    268.Nebraska
    272.Kansas

Iowa State is good on this one too...321 schools represented so Iowa State is in the top 20%...

All in all, if these rankings are accurate I can't see academics being the reason he doesn't commit here.

We don't need refs, but I guess white guys need something to do. -Charles Barkley-