Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 33

Marsden - What's it going to take?

This is not intended to be a Marsden bashing....

I realize he is still learning the system and probably still recovering from his mono bout, but what is it going to take to get him going offensively. This should have been a great breakout game for him. He kept getting the ball in position down low. He was going against a freshman (yes a 7 footer) who is very slow. Each time he received the ball down low he did not take a dribble or even look to the basket. He would immediately pass out. I don't know the game plan, maybe that what he was instructed to do. I doubt it based on what I saw from Jiri. Especially with Lomers (sp) in foul trouble most of the night you would think they would want him to try and post up. Does he have any moves with his back to the basket? I guess I am just wondering what anybody else knows. Is he just over his head and timid when playing out there?

Last edited by shildreth; 02-04-2007 at 10:35 AM.
    '00 Grad
    "Can I borrow your towel, my car just hit a water buffalo" Erwin Fletcher

Prospect
    Level completed: 55%, Points required for next Level: 229
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Re: Marsden - What's it going to take?

I agree. He needs to put on some weight, and get a game time attitude. He looks like a push over at times. Also, does Mac not like Cory Johnson? He seems like a fiery player, but he is getting less and less playing time? What's up?

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 62%, Points required for next Level: 541
    Overall activity: 31.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 351
    Given: 144

CJ getting no PT is a mystery. Anybody hear anything on the postgame show or otherwise?

Starter Achievements:

Thumbs Up

I would not be surprised to see Corey Johnson be asked to redshirt next year. With Thompson, Brackins, and Hubalek, significant playing time will be hard to come by. I have a feeling he will not want to redshirt and I just hope he doesn't decide to transfer.

Prospect Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up

Ross reminds me alot of Paul Shirley at similar stages in their Cyclone careers in that a lack of strength and mass equates to not being overly effective. However, Paul did have more polish to his offensive game and seemed to exude more confidence on the court than Ross does (still doesn't change the fact that 4 out 5 times, despite making a nice move, Paul would have his shot sent right back at him). My hope for Ross is that a similar dedication to the weight room while also playing for a coach that demands physicalness will ultimately provide similar results to Pauls.

Starter
    Level completed: 11%, Points required for next Level: 628
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 3

Anybody know what the weight training is like for the team? Do they really lift that often or anything trying to add muscle? I remember back in the Eustachey (spelling?) days everybody was lifting and getting bigger. Nobody pushed any of the players around at all. Fizer was a beast and even Nurse had some muscle on him.

Addict
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 12
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 52
    Given: 68

Have you guys ever had Mono? It whips the **&^ out of you.

Granted Ross isn't playing well, but he's probably still not at 100% strength wise and we're throwing him to the wolves in the heart of the season. He's lost his edge for this year and I really don't think we'll see any real good performance out of him until next year.

Red Shirt Corey Johnson his sophmore year? Oh come on. More likely is red shirting one of the freshman coming in and let them gain strength for a year. Corey's will have been in Gmacs system a year longer then those guys, will be more mature and will be able to contribute at a smarter level.

All-Star
    Level completed: 80%, Points required for next Level: 201
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

I could definitely see Cory Johnson getting a redshirt next season. I don't think it's too farfetched. We've had sophomores redshirt in the past (I think).

And as for why he isn't playing... he isn't playing because he isn't practicing well. Why do people keep asking this? Watch him closely, he's a FRESHMAN that's making a ton of mistakes out there. Yes, I know, he does a lot of positives, but right now Gmac feels there are far too many negatives than positives. If Gmac trusted Cory in there right now, he'd play more.

With that said, I think Cory's gotta great future ahead of him. Strength and practice will make him a stud someday.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 5%, Points required for next Level: 1,238
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6
    Given: 22

1 ross recovering from mono, lost alot of weight, and practice, not in very good condition
    2 cj prob didnt get playing time this last gem because he prob didnt like the defensive matchup against baylor

Really when you think about itm do we really want to misjudge GM? im pretty sure he knows what hes doing

Iowa State: Anyone who's a true college basketball fan needs to see a game at Hilton Coliseum. Nice is in the DNA of Iowans and the fans here are particularly gracious -- even when the home team loses but gives a great effort, they are appreciative.

ESPN.com picked Hilton Coliseum as the "Hot Arena" in the Big 12...coaches in the league noted that, "regardless of talent, the Cyclones have a home court like no other."

Addict
    Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 1,594
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 9
    Given: 8

Ross needs to be a little more agressive on the offensive end else he's going to be buried on the bench next season. There were couple times he would get good post position and they'd pass it in to him only for him to immediately pass it right back out. You have to at least attempt to make a move and hope the defense reacts before you kick it back out else the entry pass to the post did nothing to help the offense out.

I know he's probably still not 100% but yesterday he was a big zero in the game and at least Corey Johnson would have made some moves to the basket and given you some good hustle.

Rookie Achievements:

Thumbs Up

he is just lacking the size, straight up, until he is around 220 or 230, he won't have much offense, I doubt!

Big Shawn, Super Clone!

Starter
    Level completed: 85%, Points required for next Level: 91
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Does anyone remember that preseason article talking about Marsden? It said he put on 15-20 pounds of muscle. I am guessing he lost a lot of that with the mono. But it does show his dedication to the team.

Pro
    Level completed: 93%, Points required for next Level: 75
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 27
    Given: 3

Yeah, Marsden probably really just needs to get some stamina back and stuff. Otherwise, honestly, Marsden isn't really that fiery of a player.

As for CJ... The problem is that he is not a center. He is too small to play that position. And right now, ISU needs a center. That's where Jiri comes in. The thing is, for CJ's size, he's VERY good at posting up on the offensive end. With more experience and some other players coming in next year, CJ could definitely see more playing time as the dynamic of the team changes. But as it is right now, CJ just can't handle other teams' centers on the defensive end, although he is still very good at posting up against the big guys.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 563
    Given: 356

Both C. Johnson and Marsden need some meat on their bones. Neither has the ability to hang inside with most Big 12 centers and even some power forwards.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 240

I don't buy the "Marsden is in there for defensive purposes" stuff. Marsden allowed his man to catch it about 1 foot from the rim just about whenever the guy wanted to and he gets pushed around like crazy in there. I'd still rather have Cory play every time because at least he's a threat to do something on the offensive end.