Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Big XII Conference Bylaws

The "Budget and Distribution Policy" is laid out in Section 2 of the Big Twelve Conference Bylaws... which I have linked below. The equitable distribution of revenue has to be an issue for the other financial "have-nots" in all major conferences like ours.

Questions: Is there a better way to allocate Big XII money? How do other major conferences distribute TV revenues? What's the most equitable way the Big XII Conference can help procure financing for schools like Iowa State, Baylor, Kansas State, Colorado and (maybe others) that will benefit the conference as a whole on the national level? Any suggestions for JP regarding the Big XII Conference Bylaws? Thanks.

Go Cyclones....it's going to be a great year!

http://www.big12sports.com/fls/10410...B_OEM_ID=10410

"Hold my beer - I'm gonna try something......"

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 31.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 747
    Given: 521

Re: Big XII Conference Bylaws

You're picking at old wounds here.

Of course there are better ways to distribute money that the conference generates. Good luck trying to get Texas, A&M, Oklahoma, and Nebraska to go along with it, considering those four are the big winners under the current pay structure and it takes a supermajority of 9 schools to make any budget change.

Chuck Lidell: I paint my toenails with pink and black polish. Problem is, I get more paint on my toes and on the carpet than on my nails. Any advice?
    Maria Sharapova: Don't you beat up other guys for a living? I don't know how to answer this.

Legend
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 205
    Given: 122

I'm not sure why it is the Big 12's job to procure financing for ISU or any other school. The bulk of the conference revenue is equally divided. The numbers have been posted in the past. Equally dividing the remaining revenue is not going to come anywhere near making ISU's income equal to that of UT or NU.

ISU's primary problem with regard to financing is that alumni participation in the Cyclone Club is pathetic. That's not the Big 12's problem, and continuing to focus on Big 12 revenue sharing is just diverting attenion from the real issue.
    Posted via Mobile Device

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 348
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 17
    Given: 304

Good Luck trying to pry that money away from Texas and oklahoma...Ain't gonna happen in your lifetime!!

Bench Warmer
    Level completed: 84%, Points required for next Level: 112
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by jbhtexas View Post
    I'm not sure why it is the Big 12's job to procure financing for ISU or any other school. The bulk of the conference revenue is equally divided. The numbers have been posted in the past. Equally dividing the remaining revenue is not going to come anywhere near making ISU's income equal to that of UT or NU.

ISU's primary problem with regard to financing is that alumni participation in the Cyclone Club is pathetic. That's not the Big 12's problem, and continuing to focus on Big 12 revenue sharing is just diverting attenion from the real issue.
    Posted via Mobile Device
    a) If you're not sure the Big Twelve Conference has a job in raising revenue for it's members, I think your point of view is less than rational.

b) Without the revenue sharing from the "Big Twelve", we would never make it financially as an independant.

c) IMO..... a good conference TV package (and the revenue/exposure it generates) is one of the primary benefits of being in a major conference.

d) When all the Big Twelve teams are winning nonconference games it benefits the conference as a whole.

e) Yes....alumni participation in the Cyclone Club should be better.

Legend
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by NWIAclone View Post
    What's the most equitable way the Big XII Conference can help procure financing for schools like Iowa State, Baylor, Kansas State, Colorado and (maybe others) that will benefit the conference as a whole on the national level? Any suggestions for JP regarding the Big XII Conference Bylaws? Thanks.
    a) If you're not sure the Big Twelve Conference has a job in raising revenue for it's members, I think your point of view is less than rational.
    I would submit that it is rather irrational to expect the Big 12 to go out of it's way to procure extra revenue for certain schools, which is what you seem to be implying when you say "procure financing for schools like Iowa State, Baylor, Kansas State, Colorado and (maybe others)".

The Big 12 is raising revenue for it's members, including ISU, and doing a pretty good job at it. It's ISU's job to do the rest. How much more money do you think ISU would get from the Big 12 if all revenue were split equally down the middle?

b) Without the revenue sharing from the "Big Twelve", we would never make it financially as an independant.
    You might want to take a look at this link, in particular the little red box towards the top right of the page...
    The Big 12 Conference - Outstanding Success - Big 12 Conference - Official Athletic Site

"Don't worry Boss...they can't do nothin' 'til they're through sparklin'..."

Avatar - America's new superhero...Cenex Guy

Legend
    Overall activity: 30.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 488
    Given: 668

I would submit that it is rather irrational to expect the Big 12 to go out of it's way to procure extra revenue for certain schools, which is what you seem to be implying when you say "procure financing for schools like Iowa State, Baylor, Kansas State, Colorado and (maybe others)".

The Big 12 is raising revenue for it's members, including ISU, and doing a pretty good job at it. It's ISU's job to do the rest. How much more money do you think ISU would get from the Big 12 if all revenue were split equally down the middle?

You might want to take a look at this link, in particular the little red box towards the top right of the page...
    The Big 12 Conference - Outstanding Success - Big 12 Conference - Official Athletic Site
    Not apples to apples, but the Big 10's model seems to do well for that conference.

Bench Warmer
    Level completed: 84%, Points required for next Level: 112
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

How much more money do you think ISU would get from the Big 12 if all revenue were split equally down the middle?
    According to JP.... a couple a million.

The smaller markets in the conference could do better than what's laid out in the Big XII bylaws below.....

2.7.1.3 National Over the Air. Forty-eight percent (48%) of the value of the Appearance Fee Pool shall be distributed for appearances on National Over the Air carriers (e.g., ABC, CBS, FOX and NBC) and divided into units based on the total number of broadcasts. An institution shall earn two units for each non-conference home or away appearance and one unit for a Conference appearance. In the event the number of total units earned under this portion of the Appearance Fee Pool is less than thirty-six (36), it shall be divided by thirty-six and the value of the remaining units will be distributed equally among the Member Institutions.

2.7.1.4 National Cable and Syndication. Fifty-two percent (52%) of the value of the Appearance Fee Pool will be distributed for appearances on Fox Sports Net, Fox Syndication or other national cable networks (e.g., TBS, ESPN, ESPN2, VERSUS) provided that the broadcast is distributed live in a minimum of 60 million households. An institution shall earn two units for each non-conference home or away appearance and one unit for each Conference appearance. In the event the total number of units earned under this portion of the Appearance Fee Pool is less than fifty (50), the value of the Cable or Syndication portion of the Appearance Fee Pool shall be divided by fifty (50) and the value of the remaining units will be distributed equally among the Member Institutions.

Legend
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

The smaller markets in the conference could do better than what's laid out in the Big XII bylaws below.....

2.7.1.3 National Over the Air. Forty-eight percent (48%) of the value of the Appearance Fee Pool shall be distributed for appearances on National Over the Air carriers (e.g., ABC, CBS, FOX and NBC) and divided into units based on the total number of broadcasts. An institution shall earn two units for each non-conference home or away appearance and one unit for a Conference appearance. In the event the number of total units earned under this portion of the Appearance Fee Pool is less than thirty-six (36), it shall be divided by thirty-six and the value of the remaining units will be distributed equally among the Member Institutions.

2.7.1.4 National Cable and Syndication. Fifty-two percent (52%) of the value of the Appearance Fee Pool will be distributed for appearances on Fox Sports Net, Fox Syndication or other national cable networks (e.g., TBS, ESPN, ESPN2, VERSUS) provided that the broadcast is distributed live in a minimum of 60 million households. An institution shall earn two units for each non-conference home or away appearance and one unit for each Conference appearance. In the event the total number of units earned under this portion of the Appearance Fee Pool is less than fifty (50), the value of the Cable or Syndication portion of the Appearance Fee Pool shall be divided by fifty (50) and the value of the remaining units will be distributed equally among the Member Institutions.
    Yep, and a couple million means a lot more to ISU than a UT or NU.

Legend
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    That is certainly nothing to scoff at, but to make up major ground on the UT's and NU's, donations are going to have to improve radically.
    Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by jbhtexas; 07-04-2009 at 11:18 AM.

Legend
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Posted via Mobile Device