Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Brewster Academy

I went to see Brewster Academy play at Maine Central Institute this afternoon. Great game, Brewster ended up winning by 18.
    Brewster has 5 guys that are heavily recruited and a couple more that are getting some looks. MCI has a couple very good players as well. It was quite a change from the Twin Lakes Conference in NW Iowa I grew up watching.

Emmanuel Negedu - Very athletic. Reminds me of a shorter Doug Thomas. They list him on the program at 6'7", but can not be more than 6'4". Good rebounder, runs the floor very well, plays great defense. He had 3-4 great shot blocks. Does a good job of creating space when he posts up, but does not finish very well (Worse than Cyrus Tate). He did a great job of making free throws. Probably had 14-18 points and 8-10 boards.

Craig Brackens - 5-star ISU commit. I read that he is battling a knee injury. You could definitely tell that it was affecting him. He runs the floor well for his size. Very quick release. He spent a lot of time on the perimeter but did not shoot the ball very well. He must have only had 7-8 points and a couple of boards. I assumed that with him being a 5-star he would really stand-out, but the opposite was actually true. You can see the potential, particularly on offense, but I think the knee must have been bothering him.

Andre Walker – Vanderbilt commit. Very impressive player that made a lot of plays. Did not stand out at all during warm-ups, but during the game one of the best players on the floor. Did a great job of taking the ball to the basket and finishing. Good slasher and post player.

Andre McFarland – Idaho commit. Built like a linebacker. Good player. Seemed to be the go-to-guy for the team. His game is a lot like Walker’s.

P’Allen Stinnett – 4-Star Creighton commit, former ISU commit. He has the athleticism of Ricky Davis. His vertical must close to 40”. It was amazing how poor of an attitude he had. During warm-ups, he must have dropped a dozen F-Bombs. Was constantly arguing with he officials and was put on the bench by his coach for much of the first half.

Dogus Balbay – Texas commit. I thought he was the best player on Brewster and probably the best player on the floor. Great point guard. Was impossible to take the ball from and keep from getting into the lane and all the way to the hoop. Terrific finisher. I would love to have this guy for the Hawks. And, as good as he was as a point guard or scorer he was even better on defense.

MCI had a couple of good guards in Evann Baker and Kareem Brown. Brown is a tremendous three point shooter. Looked and played like Rashad Anderson of UCONN last year. It was close between Balbay (Brewster) and Rory Spencer (MCI) for who was the best player on the floor. Spencer is 6’8” but can’t weigh more than 170 pounds. He was all over the floor on both ends of the court.

All in all, it was pretty good basketball. I was surprised how hard these teams played considering how many good players were on the floor. I was expecting one pass and shoot.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 26%, Points required for next Level: 1,269
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 65
    Given: 156

Re: Brewster Academy

Thanks for the update. Hope Craig's knee heals well.

Starter Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by hawkeye_t View Post
    P’Allen Stinnett – 4-Star Creighton commit, former ISU commit. He has the athleticism of Ricky Davis. His vertical must close to 40”. It was amazing how poor of an attitude he had. During warm-ups, he must have dropped a dozen F-Bombs. Was constantly arguing with he officials and was put on the bench by his coach for much of the first half.
    Not surprising, that sounds like a Wayne Morgan recruit... wonder why GMac was recruiting him? He may be super-athletic, but doesn't seem to have the character that players on his teams typically have. Oh well, we'll see if ol' Altman can tame him.

Thanks for the update!

Addict
    Level completed: 32%, Points required for next Level: 1,239
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 14
    Given: 55

Quote Originally Posted by hawkeye_t View Post
    Emmanuel Negedu - Very athletic. Reminds me of a shorter Doug Thomas. They list him on the program at 6'7", but can not be more than 6'4". Good rebounder, runs the floor very well, plays great defense. He had 3-4 great shot blocks. Does a good job of creating space when he posts up, but does not finish very well (Worse than Cyrus Tate). He did a great job of making free throws. Probably had 14-18 points and 8-10 boards.
    I'm thinking this must have been an off game for Negedu. Lets all hope we're not clamoring for a short Doug Thomas that finishes worse than Cyrus Tate Please at least tell me he doesn't have an Acie Earl "Broom-top"!

“I’m just glad I have Homan as my bodyguard,” Eustachy joked. “If I ever make it real big and get to drive a limo everyday, he’ll be driving it. I thought he came off the bench like somebody was stealing his cow or something.”

http://blogs.dmjuice.com/?cat=43

Rookie
    Level completed: 62%, Points required for next Level: 232
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 8
    Given: 17

I really don't think we will land Negedu. I think he is Arizona's to lose. He would be a nice pick up but I don't think that he is crucial to our program. He has amazing athletic ability which was evident in those You Tube links. I think that Brackins will be an imediate impact player, but then again, I thought the same thing of Taggart.

Rookie
    Level completed: 24%, Points required for next Level: 688
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by JVAR View Post
    I really don't think we will land Negedu. I think he is Arizona's to lose. He would be a nice pick up but I don't think that he is crucial to our program. He has amazing athletic ability which was evident in those You Tube links. I think that Brackins will be an imediate impact player, but then again, I thought the same thing of Taggart.
    I think the difference between Brackins and Taggart could be their attitudes. I have a teammate of mine who personally knows Craig and talks with him on the phone every so often. Craig knows he needs to put on weight to be able to compete right away, and he is trying to do that. He also says his knee does bother him a little bit but it isn't serious. I am glad that Coach Mac doesn't want to put up with P'Allen's attitude. Also give kudos to the Brewster coach for sitting Stinnet.

Rookie
    Level completed: 62%, Points required for next Level: 232
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 8
    Given: 17

Agree cgwarrior33. Coach Mac would have been the best thing that ever happened to Taggart, kind of like Eustacy was for Fizer (not to compare Fizer to Taggart). If Stinnett has that kind of attitude, that would not have gone over well with our new coaching staff. I remember Taggart being quoted about being upset with Mac when he confronted him about dropping the "F Bomb" during a scrimmage. Players with a bad attitude can be a cancer to to a team.

Starter Achievements:
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by JVAR View Post
    Agree cgwarrior33. Coach Mac would have been the best thing that ever happened to Taggart, kind of like Eustacy was for Fizer (not to compare Fizer to Taggart). If Stinnett has that kind of attitude, that would not have gone over well with our new coaching staff. I remember Taggart being quoted about being upset with Mac when he confronted him about dropping the "F Bomb" during a scrimmage. Players with a bad attitude can be a cancer to to a team.

Mac did seem to want P'allen though... Also I had heard Craig had Jiri syndrome where he always hanging out on the 3 point line... I hope Craig gets all that knee stuff worked out

Prospect Achievements:

Thumbs Up

I've heard the Brewster coach has actually suspended Stinnett a couple of times this year due to poor behavior and attitude. Hopefully, the kid figures out that character counts!

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 26%, Points required for next Level: 1,043
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 16

Quote Originally Posted by tigershoops31 View Post
    I'm thinking this must have been an off game for Negedu. Lets all hope we're not clamoring for a short Doug Thomas that finishes worse than Cyrus Tate Please at least tell me he doesn't have an Acie Earl "Broom-top"!
    I still have an Acie Earl autographed photo from his EIU days, it does a great job at keeping the unwanted ones out of my attic.

"It is the nature of man to rise to greatness if greatness is expected of him."
    John Steinbeck

XBOXLive: MNclone
    PS3: JHudd23
    Twitter: JasonAH