Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 19
  1. #1
    Legend
    Points: 148,561, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 40.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Here nor there
    Posts
    10,318
    Points
    148,561
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 207
    Given: 186

    DMR with Colvin and Gilstrap

    Nice article with the two newcomers. Comments from Lefty Moore, who apparently was at State Gym.
    Cyclone men's basketball: Star recruits sweat this summer | DesMoinesRegister.com | The Des Moines Register



  2. #2
    Speechless
    Points: 381,261, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 49.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Wesley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Omaha
    Posts
    55,614
    Points
    381,261
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 154
    Given: 124

    Re: DMR with Colvin and Gilstrap

    Maybe Greg said we need bigger bodies in the Big 12.


    CFH HMagic bball season next year.
    Let my Fred's Four Horsemen ride: Georges, Hogue, Nader, and McKay.

  3. #3
    Addict
    Points: 118,867, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    cyclonenum1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    7,181
    Points
    118,867
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: DMR with Colvin and Gilstrap

    Quote Originally Posted by swarthmoreCY View Post
    Nice article with the two newcomers. Comments from Lefty Moore, who apparently was at State Gym.
    Cyclone men's basketball: Star recruits sweat this summer | DesMoinesRegister.com | The Des Moines Register
    Maybe it's the camera angle or something but Colvin and Gilstrap do not appear to have a 4 inch difference in height. Is Gilstrap a legitimate 6-6?



    I cheer for two teams, Iowa State and whoever is playing the hawkeyes.

  4. #4
    Legend
    Points: 148,561, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 40.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Here nor there
    Posts
    10,318
    Points
    148,561
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 207
    Given: 186

    Re: DMR with Colvin and Gilstrap

    Quote Originally Posted by cyclonenum1 View Post
    Maybe it's the camera angle or something but Colvin and Gilstrap do not appear to have a 4 inch difference in height. Is Gilstrap a legitimate 6-6?
    I'm not sure a whole lot can be ascertained from those pictures. Maybe Colvin is taller, maybe Gilstrap is 6-5, either way it does not matter.




  5. #5
    Addict
    Points: 214,207, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 23.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    9,972
    Points
    214,207
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 76
    Given: 59

    Re: DMR with Colvin and Gilstrap

    Dendy will be a beast if he get's 3 years instead of 2.



  6. #6
    Addict
    Points: 118,867, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    cyclonenum1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    7,181
    Points
    118,867
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: DMR with Colvin and Gilstrap

    Quote Originally Posted by swarthmoreCY View Post
    I'm not sure a whole lot can be ascertained from those pictures. Maybe Colvin is taller, maybe Gilstrap is 6-5, either way it does not matter.

    One thing I know is that BB players/coaches seldom, if ever, lie about their height on the side of being shorter than billed.

    Since when does height "not matter" in BB?



    I cheer for two teams, Iowa State and whoever is playing the hawkeyes.

  7. #7
    Speechless
    Points: 251,322, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 28.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Cydkar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    15,050
    Points
    251,322
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 152
    Given: 115

    Re: DMR with Colvin and Gilstrap

    Quote Originally Posted by cyclonenum1 View Post
    Since when does height "not matter" in BB?
    Way to take that a step to far.



  8. #8
    Legend
    Points: 148,561, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 40.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Here nor there
    Posts
    10,318
    Points
    148,561
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 207
    Given: 186

    Re: DMR with Colvin and Gilstrap

    Quote Originally Posted by cyclonenum1 View Post
    One thing I know is that BB players/coaches seldom, if ever, lie about their height on the side of being shorter than billed.

    Since when does height "not matter" in BB?
    Why assume there is intentional deception? Perhaps young Colvin grew since the reported measurements.
    There have been numerous coaches who list players shorter than their actual height; Tom Davis for example.
    Nice oversimplification.



  9. #9
    Addict
    Points: 118,867, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    cyclonenum1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    7,181
    Points
    118,867
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: DMR with Colvin and Gilstrap

    Quote Originally Posted by swarthmoreCY View Post
    Why assume there is intentional deception? Perhaps young Colvin grew since the reported measurements.
    There have been numerous coaches who list players shorter than their actual height; Tom Davis for example.
    Nice oversimplification.
    Deception?!? Dude, just stating the fact that it is quite common for guys to have their height overstated.

    Just look at what happens when the NBA and NFL guys start poking on prospects for potential draft picks...how many times do you hear that a guy was taller or bigger than reported? Now, on the other hand, how many times do you hear a guy is shorter or smaller than reported?

    You do the math, I never said no one ever underestimated but I am pretty confident that most of those "fudging" their measurables do it to the plus side...not the minus side.



    I cheer for two teams, Iowa State and whoever is playing the hawkeyes.

  10. #10
    All-Star
    Points: 20,560, Level: 43
    Level completed: 79%, Points required for next Level: 190
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Cyclone90's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Johnston, IA
    Posts
    1,383
    Points
    20,560
    Level
    43
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 6

    Re: DMR with Colvin and Gilstrap

    I was happy to see that Colvin is getting in more weight work than he expected. The more the better and the sooner he'll be able to match up physically.



  11. #11
    Legend
    Points: 148,561, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 40.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Here nor there
    Posts
    10,318
    Points
    148,561
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 207
    Given: 186

    Re: DMR with Colvin and Gilstrap

    Quote Originally Posted by cyclonenum1 View Post
    Deception?!? Dude, just stating the fact that it is quite common for guys to have their height overstated.

    Just look at what happens when the NBA and NFL guys start poking on prospects for potential draft picks...how many times do you hear that a guy was taller or bigger than reported? Now, on the other hand, how many times do you hear a guy is shorter or smaller than reported?

    You do the math, I never said no one ever underestimated but I am pretty confident that most of those "fudging" their measurables do it to the plus side...not the minus side.
    No doubt, but you stated "that BB players/coaches seldom, if ever, lie about their height on the side of being shorter than billed." I provided one of many possible cases where coaches do erroneously list the height of the players. Also, again, keep in mind the age of Colvin.
    Lie-a false statement made with deliberate intent to deceive.



  12. #12
    Pro
    Points: 34,674, Level: 57
    Level completed: 36%, Points required for next Level: 776
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    cycloneman003's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Clive
    Posts
    2,927
    Points
    34,674
    Level
    57
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 0

    Re: DMR with Colvin and Gilstrap

    ive heard some people question if colvin is big enough to contribute right away, but if he really is 195 lbs like the article says, rather than 175 like his rivals profile from HS, i think he pretty close to having a big 12 ready body


    ALL IN

  13. #13
    Legend
    Points: 177,752, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Aclone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Des Moines, Ia.
    Posts
    12,471
    Points
    177,752
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 41
    Given: 119

    Re: DMR with Colvin and Gilstrap

    Quote Originally Posted by cycloneman003 View Post
    ive heard some people question if colvin is big enough to contribute right away, but if he really is 195 lbs like the article says, rather than 175 like his rivals profile from HS, i think he pretty close to having a big 12 ready body
    Looking at the first pic with the article, I don't think you have to worry about Colvin being 175 pounds.

    And as far as relative heights--I'd suggest never, ever trying to judge from a still photograph--unless both players are standing in exactly the same posture, at exactly the same depth from the camera, and (hopefully) in front of a ruled line.




    Paul Rhoads' players never quit.


  14. #14
    Speechless
    Points: 227,057, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 23.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience PointsCreated Album pictures
    Clones21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Des Moines
    Posts
    17,558
    Points
    227,057
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: DMR with Colvin and Gilstrap

    Maybe Mcd is putting together a NCAA tounrey team after all...


    "Winning isn't everything, it's the only thing."

  15. #15
    Legend
    Points: 148,561, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 40.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Here nor there
    Posts
    10,318
    Points
    148,561
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 207
    Given: 186

    Re: DMR with Colvin and Gilstrap

    Quote Originally Posted by Aclone View Post
    Looking at the first pic with the article, I don't think you have to worry about Colvin being 175 pounds.

    And as far as relative heights--I'd suggest never, ever trying to judge from a still photograph--unless both players are standing in exactly the same posture, at exactly the same depth from the camera, and (hopefully) in front of a ruled line.
    Is that first pic Colvin? I think it is Gilstrap, #15.
    I would say Colvin looks like 175-185 to me. If he eats right, he should be able to put on 5-10 pounds of good weight by November.



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • Football
  • Iowa State vs. North Dakota State
  • August 30, 2014
  • 06:00 PM