Overall activity: 23.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 71
    Given: 125

Pollard & UW Badgers

1. Anyone think w/ Pollard's ties to Wisconsin, that we may see series in football and basketball w/ the now sports powerhouse? or, maybe even ACC Maryland?

2. Maybe this is a stretch, but maybe not- Way back in the 80's and early 90's, the Badgers were the laughing stock of the BIG 11 in Football, and in Basketball. Since then, they have completely revamped their athletics, winning Big 10 championships in both big sports, and a nat'l championship in Hockey (both men's and women's last year). Currently, it is hard to get a ticket to the above mentioned sports, and when you can, it's not cheap- especially football. Anyone think that Pollard (although arriving at UW after this revamping had begun in 1998) is trying to put ISU on a similar path w/ lessons learned during his tenure at UW?

Addict
    Level completed: 12%, Points required for next Level: 1,777
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 9
    Given: 4

Re: Pollard & UW Badgers

I would love to see a football series with wisconsin but I would much rather have one with Minnesota or Illinois. Unfortunately I don't think we would have much of a chance against Wisconsin but against Minnesota or Illinois would be a different story.

As far as basketball goes, I would love a series with Wisconsin.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 96
    Given: 255

I think Pollard would love that success, but realizes ISU is a totally different situation. We don't have the following and money that Wisky does. He is and has been very creative so far though. Im VERY excited to see what he can do!

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

as part 2 of my first question: Would we ever even consider two Big 10 schools on our non conference football schedule. Maybe this is where I would like to see an ACC matchup (Maryland) instead. After we're competitive of course... would be good exposure on the east coast for recruiting and such.

Addict
    Level completed: 12%, Points required for next Level: 1,777
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 9
    Given: 4

Two B10 teams don't really bother me. We are so close to B10 territory its just natural to play some of those teams. I agree though that it would be really cool to set up a series with an ACC, Pac 10, or Big east team.(we do play UCONN in a few years.)

All-Star
    Level completed: 57%, Points required for next Level: 475
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 0

Quote Originally Posted by madcityCY View Post
    as part 2 of my first question: Would we ever even consider two Big 10 schools on our non conference football schedule. Maybe this is where I would like to see an ACC matchup (Maryland) instead. After we're competitive of course... would be good exposure on the east coast for recruiting and such.
    ISU has in the past, I say it makes sence.

Addict
    Level completed: 75%, Points required for next Level: 454
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 220
    Given: 163

I don't think it would be smart to get Wisconsin on our football schedule, unless iowa decides they want to back out of our contract. I could easily see them playing in basketball, we played Minn, iowa, and Ohio State this year.

To play them in football wouldn't be that smart of a move, look at iowa this year in FB, they got into a bowl game even with a terrible conf. record, that's what having those nonconference wins will do. they beat a struggling ISU team, Montana (DI-AA), Syracuse (worst team in their conf i think?), and Northern Illinois. then all they had to do was go 2-6 in the conf with wins against lowly Illinois and lowly Purdue and they are in a bowl game AGAINST 9-3 Texas of all things! iowa realizes ISU isn't a guarenteed win and i am sure in the future they'd rather have a mac or other non-bcs conf. team to beat to improve their bowl game chances. I don't think ISU adding Wisconsin would help at all, I think it would be nice to have an almost guaranteed 3 wins ever year and then have your only other nonconference game as an instate rival.

Addict
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

All decisions with respect to the scheduling of opponents in our revenue sports (football and basketball) will be made by looking at the following issues:

1) Is it a financially rewarding thing for ISU to do?

2) Will it further the success of the program (FB or BB) involved?

3) Will it further our efforts for exposure (to assist in recruiting, to provide non-Iowa alumni with an opportunity to see ISU in their location, etc.)?

I cheer for two teams, Iowa State and whoever is playing the hawkeyes.

Bench Warmer Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up

I don't know if Wisconsin would agree to play us, but I definitely think we need to schedule a tough opponent in the non-conference season. Although there's a good chance we won't win, those kind of games can be huge momentum swingers if we play a good game in them like the time we nearly beat Florida State. It generated buzz throughout the entire nation, and got cyclone fans really excited about football. It's amazing what one game against a tough opponent can do for the program, even if it doesn't necessarilyhelp us in the W column.

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by cyclone#1 View Post
    All decisions with respect to the scheduling of opponents in our revenue sports (football and basketball) will be made by looking at the following issues:

1) Is it a financially rewarding thing for ISU to do?

2) Will it further the success of the program (FB or BB) involved?

3) Will it further our efforts for exposure (to assist in recruiting, to provide non-Iowa alumni with an opportunity to see ISU in their location, etc.)?
    so what are your thoughts when applying these 3 issues?

cyclONEnation
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 38
    Given: 31

Quote Originally Posted by cyclone#1 View Post

Well, I'll guarantee the sale of four tickets if ISU heads to Madison to play the Badgers or if the 'Clones would play Marquette University in bball. Four tickets should make any of these games financially enticing to JP..right?

Addict
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by madcityCY View Post
    so what are your thoughts when applying these 3 issues?
    Let's talk football since that is the sport with the most dollars at play and the sport that is the most difficult to schedule.

1) I don't know enough about the finances of either ISU or Wisconsin to really offer anything more than a guess here. I would doubt that Wisconsin would view a home and home series with us as a good move for them (they have a significantly bigger stadium). They would probably not want to do it for that reason alone. I also doubt they could guarantee us enough money to make us want to forego a home game and just go play them in Madison. This is not a "sexy" national match-up so no big TV dollars would be there to make it happen either.

2) Right now this is probably a game that the Wisconsin coaches would approve of playing and the ISU coaches would not approve of for obvious reasons. Coaches want to win and they work closely with the AD in charge of scheduling for their sport to ensure that they are playing the right people at the right time in their season. For example, LSU always tries to schedule one of it's non-conference "rent-a-wins" for later in the season to get a break from the brutal SEC schedule.

3) Frankly, I don't know if Wisconsin is an area we are trying to mine for recruiting purposes...my guess is not since I never hear of us going after a Wisconsin kid. Also, I'm not sure how big our alumni base is in the state but I don't think it is a huge concentration like in a Chicago, Minneapolis, or Kansas City.

Based upon this...I would say it probably does not happen.

I could see us start playing schools like UCF, UAB, Rice, and Tulane to name a few.

I cheer for two teams, Iowa State and whoever is playing the hawkeyes.