Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 8

Henry brothers may not be headed to Kansas but Kentucky

Xavier Henry, who first committed to Memphis and then changed to Kansas, may be changing his commitment again. And he may be taking his brother, C.J., with him.
    According to multiple media reports and a radio interview their father gave Tuesday, the Henrys may end up at Kentucky -- with John Calipari, who originally recruited Xavier Henry to Memphis.
    The Henrys started to waiver on the commitment to Kansas over the last two weeks. Players can't sign two national letter of intents, so nothing is binding.
    A decision was expected some time late Tuesday or Wednesday, according to reports. Xavier Henry is the No. 2 shooting guard and No. 3 overall player in the 2009 ESPNU Top 100.
    Kansas coach Bill Self told ESPN.com he doesn't know what is going to occur. No one seems to know just yet. Attempts to reach Kentucky coach John Calipari were unsuccessful.
    The decision is likely to significantly impact the battle for No. 1 to start the 2009-10 college basketball season. When Henry decided to sign with the Tigers and join C.J., who was sitting out the season after coming out of the New York Yankees minor league system, it pushed the Tigers toward a possible No. 1 recruiting class.
    But after the season, Calipari bolted to Kentucky and the Memphis class of DeMarcus Cousins, Darnell Dodson and likely Memphis signee John Wall came with him to Lexington. All except for Henry, who went West of his Oklahoma City home to Kansas. C.J., who is 23 and hasn't played organized basketball in four years, went with him.
    That made the Jayhawks a consensus No. 1 pick next season. The core of the Jayhawks returned with Cole Aldrich and Sherron Collins.
    Now, it's up in the air again. The Kansas City Star reported that the Henrys are waffling. Their father, Carl Henry, did an interview 610 Sports Radio in Kansas City on Tuesday and indicated that Kentucky would be the eventual landing spot for his sons.
    If the 6-6 Xavier Henry isn't at Kansas and instead attends Kentucky, the Wildcats could make a claim for the top spot. Kentucky lost shooting guard Jodie Meeks to the NBA draft last week. The Wildcats just cut lose two players -- Kevin Galloway and Matt Pilgrim -- to get down under the maximum 13 scholarships to 12.
    Adding Xavier (C.J. can be a walk-on with his Yankees money) would mean Kentucky would be at the limit.
    But Xavier Henry would give the Wildcats the No. 3, 4 and 5 players on the ESPNU top 100 with Henry, Cousins and Wall. They would join newcomers Eric Bledsoe at point guard and Dodson at shooting guard, along with returning forwards Patrick Patterson (a potential SEC player of the year candidate) and Darius Miller (on the U-19 USA team in New Zealand).

Self is expected to make a pitch to keep the Henrys with Kansas. The Kansas City Star reported a family meeting is expected Tuesday night.

Legend
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 184
    Given: 806

Re: Henry brothers may not be headed to Kansas but Kentucky

...West of his Oklahoma City home to Kansas.
    Lawrence is West of Oklahoma City? I gotta check a map....

Part of this fanbase is like the parable of the blind men and the elephant.

Who knew?

Addict
    Level completed: 91%, Points required for next Level: 189
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 44
    Given: 61

Something smells like rotten fish...

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 236
    Given: 174

Quote Originally Posted by Bobber View Post
    Something smells like rotten fish...
    Or of fresh cash.

The gap in our economy is between what we have and what we think we ought to have--and that is a moral problem, not an economic one. - Paul Heyne

Pro
    Level completed: 60%, Points required for next Level: 404
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

This has been a pretty fascinating story to me. Their dad runs his mouth to the KC Star about how his 23-year old walk-on son is better than Sherron Collins, how the kids don't want to be at school at all, etc. Then goes on the radio to "clarify things" only to say that he told Self he shouldn't just give his kids the starting spots, they should have to earn them and generally makes things worse admitting they might be looking at Kentucky now.
    "A couple weeks ago, my youngest son (Xavier) tells me he wanted to go to Kentucky. Said he's thinking about it," Carl told the station. "He keeps in touch with John Wall and Daniel Orton. They are good friends. What happened is those guys get to talking to him, they could probably change his mind. Actually that's what happened. I was talking to Xavier. I'm telling him, 'Hey, man, I know those are your friends, you can't change just like that. You already gave a commitment. You already said you were coming. Now all of a sudden you dont want to come any more? Just because your friends said, "Hey, this (Kentucky) will be a great place?"'"
    KU fans seem split on if they even want those guys anymore. Here's the original Star article:
    Getting to the pros the Henry family plan - Kansas City Star

Starter
    Level completed: 45%, Points required for next Level: 385
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 8
    Given: 15

Winner goes to the highest bidder. With an overbearing Dad like that, the winner may actually be the loser. Who knows? I think they will be distraction wherever they go.

Pro
    Level completed: 11%, Points required for next Level: 1,345
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 66
    Given: 13

I can see why Bobby Knight hated recruiting. The recruitment of these two kids and their dad over the last 5 years or whatever has been ridiculous.

I'm holding out hope that the dad is just crazy and all these quotes are just coming out wrong. They've never been the most cohesive group. And I've never actually heard the kids say these things, just what was relayed through the dad to the media.

The timing of this recent flip-flop (I guess that's what I'll call it for now), for those that aren't aware, seems to exactly coincide with Jodie Meeks announcing that he was staying in the draft, opening up some PT on the wing at Kentucky.

I've tried to stay pretty in tune to the whole situation. If I had to bet right now, I'd say there's a 40% chance that both kids are at KU next season.

Pro
    Level completed: 11%, Points required for next Level: 1,345
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 66
    Given: 13

Also, the notion that they might end up at Kentucky because of comments from KU message boards is downright nutty. Kentucky fans (catspause, etc.) are notorious for being the most insane fanbase out there.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 606
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3

The Henry's are everything that's wrong with college basketball. Just let these losers go to the NBA. It is funny that it's happening to kansas though.

Pro
    Level completed: 10%, Points required for next Level: 1,451
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 13

From what I understand they are both one and done anyway and the brother CJ is the wild card. The dad thinks he is ready for the NBA right now even though he hasn't played bball in 4 years. I guess he wasn't ready for baseball either, however. Remember KU quit recruiting Lance Stephenson, who commited to Cincinnati today, bc they got Henry. Also Henry's parents both went to KU so you think they would have a little more respect than that.