Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 57
  1. #1
    All-Star
    Points: 20,142, Level: 43
    Level completed: 33%, Points required for next Level: 608
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    cmhawks99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Bourbonnais, Il
    Posts
    1,240
    Points
    20,142
    Level
    43
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    The mother of all NFL “talent” reports per conference…

    Actually just the SEC, Big 12 and Big 10 because lets be honest, we don’t care about the others………


    Couple notes 1st off…………………

    These are pre-camp rosters including “rookie” Free Agents, many of which will eventually be cut. Also I think it is interesting to note that some teams do a better job of producing talent despite their overall records year to year. Nobody produces more talent every year than Georgia, and although they are always solid they haven’t won an NC in almost 30 years. Showing there is a whole lot more to it all then coaching & talent. As an aside San Diego St who I counted just because they are often referred to as the sleeping giant in college football has 22 alumni yet they haven’t sniffed a winning record in years.

    Tenn is still rolling kids into the NFL at an alarming rate despite finishing sub.500 twice in the last 4 years. QB probably being their biggest failing of late, which also shows the importance of the QB position no matter how much other talent you may have. See Big 10 or the NFL for that matter.

    You can still win quite a bit with a good coach and a good system despite under whelming over all talent. See Texas Tech, Northwestern KU, Mizzou……

    Finally the Big 10 has been very QB poor of late and they have grossly underachieved as a result despite lots and lots of NFL talent. Also there is a huge gap in the Big 12 between the talent rich and talent poor. The SEC has 415 which = 34.59 NFLers per team, Big 10 has 352 = 32 & the Big 12 has 292 = 24.33 per team


    The top tier studs 40 plus Nflers and more………….

    Georgia…57
    LSU…….57
    Mich……50
    tOSU…..50
    Texas…...48
    PSU…….45
    Florida….44
    Tenn……44
    Nebbie….41
    OU……..40
    Aub…….40


    These teams are top 20 producers of NFL talent year after year, and the Big 12 is conspicuously missing from this level.

    Wisco….38
    Iowa……34
    Purdue…33
    Bama…..31
    Ole Miss..30
    MSU……30


    Still pretty talented from year to year…………..

    A&M…..28
    Sth Car…28
    Miss St…27
    CU……..27
    Illini……27
    Ark…….25
    K-st……25


    These teams prove it doesn’t always have all that much to do with talent as several of them win a lot.

    Okie St…18
    Minne…..18
    Mizzou….17
    Vandy…..16
    Kent…….16
    NW…….15
    TT………14
    KU……..12
    Bay……..12
    Ind………12
    ISU……..11

    There are some more anomalies or interesting breakdowns but I’d like to 1st let people have their own feedback.


    Chad


    Last edited by cmhawks99; 06-30-2009 at 04:24 PM.

  2. #2
    All-Star
    Points: 20,142, Level: 43
    Level completed: 33%, Points required for next Level: 608
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    cmhawks99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Bourbonnais, Il
    Posts
    1,240
    Points
    20,142
    Level
    43
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: The mother of all NFL “talent” reports per conference…

    I haven’t counted up all positions yet and I also didn’t investigate whether some of the DE’s where hybrid OLB’s coming in. Therefore it could skew some of the numbers, but I counted all DE’s and DT’s as D-linemen. Also I counted players from the top 7 teams per conference (might do more later) and I stopped at 7 because the SEC & Big 10 both had 7 teams that had at least 30 plus NFLers.

    Obviously as many of us had thought the SEC has a bunch of stud D-linemen on camp rosters………………

    SEC……………71
    Big 10……….52
    Big 12……….47

    For Lbers the Big 10 had quite a few more which will surprise some people I’m sure………………..

    Big 10……….42
    SEC…………..32
    Big 12……….27

    Chad



  3. #3
    Just Win Baby
    Points: 302,578, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Clones85''s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    13,339
    Points
    302,578
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3
    Given: 0

    Re: The mother of all NFL “talent” reports per conference…

    I would expect those numbers change quite a bit in the next 3 to 4 years. Wasn't it about 5 years ago where the SEC and Big 10 had HUGE leads over everyone else?

    Do you have numbers on the past 4 to 5 draft classes in the NFL? Or guys from the past 5 years that are in the NFL? I know you are up to the challenge Chad!



  4. #4
    All-Star
    Points: 20,142, Level: 43
    Level completed: 33%, Points required for next Level: 608
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    cmhawks99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Bourbonnais, Il
    Posts
    1,240
    Points
    20,142
    Level
    43
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: The mother of all NFL “talent” reports per conference…

    Quote Originally Posted by Clones85' View Post
    I would expect those numbers change quite a bit in the next 3 to 4 years. Wasn't it about 5 years ago where the SEC and Big 10 had HUGE leads over everyone else?

    Do you have numbers on the past 4 to 5 draft classes in the NFL? Or guys from the past 5 years that are in the NFL? I know you are up to the challenge Chad!
    Actually not true, I have watched this for 5 years and it is pretty constant. In fact about 4 years ago the Big 12 was a little closer, (within 30 with 1 more team) and the SEC was further ahead of the Big 10. The Big 10 closed the gap in recent years. With that said the Big 10 was about dead on players per team with the SEC last year where as the SEC gained about 20 kids on them in the last draft/FA market.

    Really though old friend it is you “short sighted” fellas that share this “hope” that the Big 10 is digressing. As I have said to you before the Big 10 was quite young this past year (Iowa alone has several future draft picks on their team) yet still had as many draft picks as the Big 12 with 28. This of course doesn't count rookie FA's which the 1st numbers do

    I have told you and told you and told you this is a hobby of mine and I watch it closely while archiving what I find. There isn’t a mysterious down turn of talent in the Big 10. It is fluid and constant. A little up and a little down from year to year and conference to conference.

    Where the Big 10 has really sucked of late is at QB and I think we are all beginning to see how important that is.

    Chad


    Last edited by cmhawks99; 06-30-2009 at 05:45 PM.

  5. #5
    Just Win Baby
    Points: 302,578, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Clones85''s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    13,339
    Points
    302,578
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3
    Given: 0

    Re: The mother of all NFL “talent” reports per conference…

    Quote Originally Posted by cmhawks99 View Post
    Really though old friend it is you “short sighted” fellas that share this “hope” that the Big 10 is digressing. As I have said to you before the Big 10 was quite young this past year (Iowa alone has several future draft picks on their team) yet still had as many draft picks as the Big 12 with 28.

    I have told you and told you and told you this is a hobby of mine and watch it closely while archiving what I find.
    A) Big 10 is 9-20 in Bowl Games the last 4 years. There is no "hope" that the Big 10 is digressing. It is a "fact" that they are. Who is the "short sighted" fella?

    B) Let's keep track of the next 2 years of draft classes

    3) Is it a hobby or an obsession? Seems to be the latter



  6. #6
    Just Win Baby
    Points: 302,578, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Clones85''s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    13,339
    Points
    302,578
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3
    Given: 0

    Re: The mother of all NFL “talent” reports per conference…

    Another thing Chad. Do you know how many winning bowl seasons the Big 10 has had in the past 8 years??...............1

    Nope that conference is not digressing! I definitely see an upward trend!



  7. #7
    All-Star
    Points: 20,142, Level: 43
    Level completed: 33%, Points required for next Level: 608
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    cmhawks99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Bourbonnais, Il
    Posts
    1,240
    Points
    20,142
    Level
    43
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: The mother of all NFL “talent” reports per conference…

    Quote Originally Posted by Clones85' View Post
    A) Big 10 is 9-20 in Bowl Games the last 4 years. There is no "hope" that the Big 10 is digressing. It is a "fact" that they are. Who is the "short sighted" fella?

    B) Let's keep track of the next 2 years of draft classes

    3) Is it a hobby or an obsession? Seems to be the latter
    Says you the most biased Big 10 hater I think I may have ever witnessed..............do me a favor and chart the Big 10's QB performances of the last 2 years and you'll have your answer.

    Then swap QB's in the Minne-KU game................

    The Iowa-South Carolina game.........

    The Georgia’-MSU game....................

    NW-Mizzou................................

    Think it will change the outcomes or scores at least. No other position in college football more directly will change the outcome of a game than QB…..

    Not left tackle, nor Lber, nor, nor, nor...................It really isn't that complicated.

    I'll eagerly await your rebuttal.

    Chad


    Last edited by cmhawks99; 06-30-2009 at 07:34 PM.

  8. #8
    All-Star
    Points: 20,142, Level: 43
    Level completed: 33%, Points required for next Level: 608
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    cmhawks99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Bourbonnais, Il
    Posts
    1,240
    Points
    20,142
    Level
    43
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: The mother of all NFL “talent” reports per conference…

    Clones 85’

    Ok friend, honestly I know we don’t see eye to eye often but you really need to watch a little more football or give up your bias’. We all have them, but seriously your bitterness towards the Big 10 is overwhelming. Either that or you really are just that daft. I present numbers and you pooh-pooh them. You never refute the stats but rather move on to something else with sleight of hand or complete disregard for that which was presented.

    I do have to thank you though as you encourage me to look up different stuff than what I already have. I’m linking a cool graph I found at USA Today. You can adjust it and do whatever.

    http://www.usatoday.com/sports/footb...ry-graphic.htm
     
    You’ll find right off the bat that it is fluid as I have mentioned. With SEC on a steady decline since 2001, with a slight up turn in 2007 and again this year. The Big 12 has been wildly up and down with a consistent down turn since 2005 (slight up turn last year, but settling down to equal with the Big 10 this year) and The Big 10 has been slightly down since a high in 2006. They did however plateau and were dead even with the Big 12 this past year and an up turn is as likely as a down turn.

    In fact as I have said many a time, College football is very competitive and in fact all 3 conferences are down a tick from recent years. Also as one can see none of them have a strangle hold on talent contrary to the hopes & prayers of many a Big 12 fan.

    Finally none of the 3 listed conferences have ever had more than a slow 4 year down turn and I’d say it looks like the Big 10 and Big 12 in particular are heading for up turns.

    Sorry old friend.

    Chad



  9. #9
    Speechless
    Points: 485,101, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Al_4_State's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Driftless Region
    Posts
    19,113
    Points
    485,101
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 373
    Given: 113

    Re: The mother of all NFL “talent” reports per conference…

    Quote Originally Posted by cmhawks99 View Post
    Clones 85’

    Ok friend, honestly I know we don’t see eye to eye often but you really need to watch a little more football or give up your bias’. We all have them, but seriously your bitterness towards the Big 10 is overwhelming. Either that or you really are just that daft. I present numbers and you pooh-pooh them. You never refute the stats but rather move on to something else with sleight of hand or complete disregard for that which was presented.

    I do have to thank you though as you encourage me to look up different stuff than what I already have. I’m linking a cool graph I found at USA Today. You can adjust it and do whatever.

    NFL draft history: Where the talent comes from - USATODAY.com
     
    You’ll find right off the bat that it is fluid as I have mentioned. With SEC on a steady decline since 2001, with a slight up turn in 2007 and again this year. The Big 12 has been wildly up and down with a consistent down turn since 2005 (slight up turn last year, but settling down to equal with the Big 10 this year) and The Big 10 has been slightly down since a high in 2006. They did however plateau and were dead even with the Big 12 this past year and an up turn is as likely as a down turn.

    In fact as I have said many a time, College football is very competitive and in fact all 3 conferences are down a tick from recent years. Also as one can see none of them have a strangle hold on talent contrary to the hopes & prayers of many a Big 12 fan.

    Finally none of the 3 listed conferences have ever had more than a slow 4 year down turn and I’d say it looks like the Big 10 and Big 12 in particular are heading for up turns.

    Sorry old friend.

    Chad
    On what random statistic are you using? It obviously isn't college football on-field performance. As far as NFL talent, the Big East lead the nation w/ 3.375 draft picks per team last year.


    In 1984, I was hospitalized for approaching perfection.

  10. #10
    All-Star
    Points: 20,142, Level: 43
    Level completed: 33%, Points required for next Level: 608
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    cmhawks99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Bourbonnais, Il
    Posts
    1,240
    Points
    20,142
    Level
    43
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: The mother of all NFL “talent” reports per conference…

    Quote Originally Posted by Al_4_State View Post
    On what random statistic are you using? It obviously isn't college football on-field performance. As far as NFL talent, the Big East lead the nation w/ 3.375 draft picks per team last year.

    Quite true and that is impressive with 8 teams. All the same they didn’t look terribly strong last year and actually furthers my point. They had 27 picks with 8 teams while the Big 10 had 28/11 and the Big 12 had 28/12. There is a long standing thought/prayer over here that the Big 10 is slowly and surely digressing talent wise and they are an old, slow, out dated conference. Honestly I post this stuff because I think some people are actually interested in knowing things like this. With that said people like Clones 85 and maybe you for all I remember come along and try to take it back down that Big 10 sucks road, and clearly the evidence disputes that. They have NOT been on a slow decline talent wise, at least based on the draft “facts” !

    The Big 10 still plays the SEC and Big 12 tough and in fact outside of the last 2 years, (terrible QB’s) were still right around .500 plus against the SEC and Big 12 in Bowls if memory serves.

    It’s cyclical, plain and simple just as the graph shows.

    Chad



  11. #11
    Speechless
    Points: 485,101, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Al_4_State's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Driftless Region
    Posts
    19,113
    Points
    485,101
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 373
    Given: 113

    Re: The mother of all NFL “talent” reports per conference…

    Quote Originally Posted by cmhawks99 View Post
    Quite true and that is impressive with 8 teams. All the same they didn’t look terribly strong last year and actually furthers my point. They had 27 picks with 8 teams while the Big 10 had 28/11 and the Big 12 had 28/12. There is a long standing thought/prayer over here that the Big 10 is slowly and surely digressing talent wise and they are an old, slow, out dated conference. Honestly I post this stuff because I think some people are actually interested in knowing things like this. With that said people like Clones 85 and maybe you for all I remember come along and try to take it back down that Big 10 sucks road, and clearly the evidence disputes that. They have NOT been on a slow decline talent wise, at least based on the draft “facts” !

    The Big 10 still plays the SEC and Big 12 tough and in fact outside of the last 2 years, (terrible QB’s) were still right around .500 plus against the SEC and Big 12 in Bowls if memory serves.

    It’s cyclical, plain and simple just as the graph shows.

    Chad
    FWIW, the Big East leads all conferences in bowl winning % over the past 3 seasons. They were 3rd last year in pre-season non-conference winning % (I spend too much time w/my Phil Steele mag). This idea that it's a terrible conference is just a product of talking heads on ESPN, and the fact that pre-season pollsters give the teams no respect, which makes it tough for them to crack the top of the BCS.

    I don't really think that the Big 10 just sucks, but it's a little worse than Big 12 recently, imo. The Iowa/Iowa State game exemplifies that. This game is close for two reasons
    1) The Big 10's style of play does not match well against the way Big 12 teams play.

    2) It IS a weaker conference, across the board. Iowa would likely be a 6-6 to 8-4 (at best) team in the Big 12. ISU would probably bounce between 7-5 and 4-8 in the Big 10. The talent gap between the teams isn't as large as people perceive.

    Finally, NFL talent doesn't mean much in college. You see sub-par college players succeed right away in the NFL all the time, and great college players fail.


    In 1984, I was hospitalized for approaching perfection.

  12. #12
    All-Star
    Points: 20,142, Level: 43
    Level completed: 33%, Points required for next Level: 608
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    cmhawks99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Bourbonnais, Il
    Posts
    1,240
    Points
    20,142
    Level
    43
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: The mother of all NFL “talent” reports per conference…

    Incidentally since 2004 the Big 10 is 9-7 against the SEC, but they are a miserable 7-13 vs. the Big 12 and 6-15 vs. the PAC 10, and 4-5 vs. the ACC. Never let it be said I cherry pick stats.

    The Big 12 has a losing record against Big East 5-6, SEC 7-9 and the ACC 7-9, clearly better, but if you take that back to 2000 the Big 10 is 23-17 vs. the Big 12 so clearly it is a cyclical thing. On field scores are not always the best way to determine if a conference is talent poor. The Big 10 has sucked for sure but have still found a way to be plus .500 vs. the SEC.

    It isn’t as cut and dried as you guys desperately want it to be.

    Once again they have had very poor QB play

    Chad


    Last edited by cmhawks99; 06-30-2009 at 08:50 PM.

  13. #13
    All-Star
    Points: 20,142, Level: 43
    Level completed: 33%, Points required for next Level: 608
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    cmhawks99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Bourbonnais, Il
    Posts
    1,240
    Points
    20,142
    Level
    43
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: The mother of all NFL “talent” reports per conference…

    Quote Originally Posted by Al_4_State View Post
    FWIW, the Big East leads all conferences in bowl winning % over the past 3 seasons. They were 3rd last year in pre-season non-conference winning % (I spend too much time w/my Phil Steele mag). This idea that it's a terrible conference is just a product of talking heads on ESPN, and the fact that pre-season pollsters give the teams no respect, which makes it tough for them to crack the top of the BCS.

    I don't really think that the Big 10 just sucks, but it's a little worse than Big 12 recently, imo. The Iowa/Iowa State game exemplifies that. This game is close for two reasons

    1) The Big 10's style of play does not match well against the way Big 12 teams play.

    2) It IS a weaker conference, across the board. Iowa would likely be a 6-6 to 8-4 (at best) team in the Big 12. ISU would probably bounce between 7-5 and 4-8 in the Big 10. The talent gap between the teams isn't as large as people perceive.

    Finally, NFL talent doesn't mean much in college. You see sub-par college players succeed right away in the NFL all the time, and great college players fail.
    1st off this is the spirit of post I'm hoping for. I don't agree, but I see what you are saying...................

    Now I have no doubt many ISU fans feel the way you do with Iowa and the Big 12, but it couldn’t be any more erroneous. It is why they spend countless threads trying to disparage the Big 10, because if they succeed in their minds then they can somehow excuse how bad they are and how much better Iowa is.

    Although I don’t disagree with your sentiment on NFL talent vs. College talent per se, ask anyone and they’d choose a roster full of NFL talent so it belies the truth honestly. It is true teams that are devoid of NFL talent can win games….see NW, TT etc….but that is why that QB position in college is so important. See Chase & Graham for two guys who likely wont ever be NFL stars yet they were studs in college. That is typically the only position where that happens constantly. Maybe a little bit at Rber as well. Many college duds have indeed gone on to stardom as an NFL Rber.

    I feel like this is your attempt at discrediting how far behind ISU and a lot of the Big 12 lags on NFL talent. ISU does not have such a unique style of play that they (the absolute fewest amount of NFLers out of 35 teams) would somehow magically be better in the Big 10. They succeed against Iowa for the same reason that CSU succeeds against CU. It is a rivalry and the rosters are 2ndary. They wouldn’t have that advantage against anyone else in the Big 10.

    Chad


    Last edited by cmhawks99; 06-30-2009 at 08:46 PM.

  14. #14
    All-Star
    Points: 20,142, Level: 43
    Level completed: 33%, Points required for next Level: 608
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    cmhawks99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Bourbonnais, Il
    Posts
    1,240
    Points
    20,142
    Level
    43
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: The mother of all NFL “talent” reports per conference…

    Quote Originally Posted by Al_4_State View Post
    FWIW, the Big East leads all conferences in bowl winning % over the past 3 seasons. They were 3rd last year in pre-season non-conference winning % (I spend too much time w/my Phil Steele mag). This idea that it's a terrible conference is just a product of talking heads on ESPN, and the fact that pre-season pollsters give the teams no respect, which makes it tough for them to crack the top of the BCS.

    I don't really think that the Big 10 just sucks, but it's a little worse than Big 12 recently, imo. The Iowa/Iowa State game exemplifies that. This game is close for two reasons
    1) The Big 10's style of play does not match well against the way Big 12 teams play.

    2) It IS a weaker conference, across the board. Iowa would likely be a 6-6 to 8-4 (at best) team in the Big 12. ISU would probably bounce between 7-5 and 4-8 in the Big 10. The talent gap between the teams isn't as large as people perceive.

    Finally, NFL talent doesn't mean much in college. You see sub-par college players succeed right away in the NFL all the time, and great college players fail.
    What people and how do you figure.....................34 NFL alumni to 11 is a pretty Big gap. Better yet how many do you think Iowa has right now compared to what ISU has. Tell me it doesn’t matter and ISU can easily win any way and I’m right there with you, but clearly the talent gap is there.

    Chad



  15. #15
    Just Win Baby
    Points: 302,578, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Clones85''s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    13,339
    Points
    302,578
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3
    Given: 0

    Re: The mother of all NFL “talent” reports per conference…

    Big 10 bias?

    They are 9-20 Chad! That isn't a bias, that is a fact.

    Even Ohio St grad (Kirk H) says that the Big 10 has been weak. 90% of the sports media says the same thing.

    You can take all the stats you want, but I will take the most important ones. W's!!!! And the Big 10 is severely lacking W's lately.



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • TV: FOX
  • Iowa State vs. Baylor
  • September 27, 2014
  • 07:20 PM