Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 4

Ricky Rubio drama

HOOPSWORLD

an interesting take on the situation. I hope that the Wolves keep him.

Here's an article looking at where he could go.

If we end up having to trade Ricky*Rubio - Canis Hoopus

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/draft2...ory?id=4295802
    another thought on the situation

Last edited by hurdleisu24; 06-29-2009 at 07:09 PM.

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 114
    Given: 0

Re: Ricky Rubio drama

I'm a T-Wolves fan and I think they really screwed up big time in this draft.

Once Tyreke Evans was gone, I wanted them to take Flynn and then Curry. I don't care what anyone says... Curry is not an NBA point guard... he's a shooting guard.

It made absolute zero sense for them to take 2 one dimensional point guards with the 5th and 6th picks. Both Rubio and Flynn can ONLY play PG... nothing else. I swear I could be a better NBA GM than half the guys doing it today?

So... IMO... I think the T-Wolves should trade Rubio if possible. Flynn already seems like the much better option.... if only because of his great attitude and work ethic. Rubio is turning out to be a punk already. He's a skinny European kid that can't shoot and makes fancy plays against a bunch of guys that don't play one lick of defense whatsoever. In all his videos, nobody is playing any defense. Nobody ever puts a body on this kid.... ever. That will change in the NBA.

The trade for Brooks and Battier is intriguing to me. Although Brooks and Flynn might be too much alike, but Brooks can actually light it up, correct?

The Wolves need a scorer IMO. That is why Curry made so much sense. Al Jefferson is the only one on the team that can put the ball in the hoop basically? Argggghhhhh... now I'm just getting frustrated. And to think we could have had OJ Mayo and Brandon Roy instead of Love and Foye. I have to stop before I blow a gasket. Later........

Speechless
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

I wouldn't want Brooks and Battier simply because Battier does nothing for the Wolves youth movement and Brooks doesn't fill a need remember you have Telfair still on the team. I don't have a problem with them not taking Curry as he didn't want to come there since he wouldn't interview or workout for the team

Pro
    Level completed: 19%, Points required for next Level: 901
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6
    Given: 1

Quote Originally Posted by clonedude View Post
    So... IMO... I think the T-Wolves should trade Rubio if possible. Flynn already seems like the much better option.... if only because of his great attitude and work ethic. Rubio is turning out to be a punk already. He's a skinny European kid that can't shoot and makes fancy plays against a bunch of guys that don't play one lick of defense whatsoever. In all his videos, nobody is playing any defense. Nobody ever puts a body on this kid.... ever. That will change in the NBA.
    When did they start playing defense in the NBA??? From the clips I saw on Rubio, he is just like Jason Williams (former Kings/Grizz/Heat PG, not to be confused with Jayson Williams who will be going to jail, or Jason "Jay" Williams who played at Duke and f-ed his career with the Bulls by laying down his bike).

Pro
    Level completed: 46%, Points required for next Level: 706
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 9
    Given: 10

I like to think the T-Wolves drafted Rubio knowing that they would trade him. Do you think Minnesota would help pay the $6.6 million buyout? My guess is that they trade him to a larger market in exchange for some young role-players and maybe another pick next year. Taking Flynn was the safe pick and he should displace Telfair as the starter. Trading Lawson to Denver for a first pick next year tells me that the T-Wolves aren't sure what kind of team they are going to put on the court next year and are hoping to bank on rookies next year and make some moves in the strong free agent market in 2010.

Pro
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

Quote Originally Posted by 3GenClone View Post
    I like to think the T-Wolves drafted Rubio knowing that they would trade him. Do you think Minnesota would help pay the $6.6 million buyout? My guess is that they trade him to a larger market in exchange for some young role-players and maybe another pick next year. Taking Flynn was the safe pick and he should displace Telfair as the starter. Trading Lawson to Denver for a first pick next year tells me that the T-Wolves aren't sure what kind of team they are going to put on the court next year and are hoping to bank on rookies next year and make some moves in the strong free agent market in 2010.
    My guess is that they end up trading Rubio for a 1st round pick next year, possibly more. Next year's draft will be a lot deeper. From what I've been hearing on the Wolves, they are hoping to make a splash this summer. Take your rookie PG in Flynn, sign a FA to go with Love and Big Al. See what the glaring holes are, and get after it with 3 picks in next year's draft...

Addict
    Level completed: 4%, Points required for next Level: 1,921
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 16
    Given: 32

Teams can only pay $500k towards the buyout

Don't confuse hope for a plan.

Pro
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

Quote Originally Posted by HiltonMagic View Post
    Teams can only pay $500k towards the buyout
    Exactly. This is why I think he wants to go to a bigger market. If he played in NY, he'd get all sorts of play on ESPN which would lead to endorsements. Since 100% of his salary for the first 2 years would go towards his buy-out, the endorsement money would be his source of income.

I'd like to see him in MN, but I realize that no one wants to go there....

Pro
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Yeah, I would assume that Rubio's contract would reflect the difference that his family had to front to move him from Spain.

Pro
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

I'm thinking Dallas could be the place for Rubio. Jason Kidd isn't getting any younger and Mark Cuban is getting desperate for a title.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

NBA teams can only put 500k toward a buyout.
    They got the Bobcats first rd pick and there is some protection to that so it may not be next year.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by mplscyclone View Post
    My guess is that they end up trading Rubio for a 1st round pick next year, possibly more. Next year's draft will be a lot deeper. From what I've been hearing on the Wolves, they are hoping to make a splash this summer. Take your rookie PG in Flynn, sign a FA to go with Love and Big Al. See what the glaring holes are, and get after it with 3 picks in next year's draft...
    I hope that they get more than a first rd pick out of any trade with Rubio. I'd rather trade Flynn than Rubio. I think the Wolves have 5 players that have their contract ending after this year so they will be highly sought after. I think Thomas stays until the trade deadline the wolves may get more for him then.