SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 520
    Given: 341

FoxSports Football Lookahead to 2007

84. Iowa State

2006 Record: 4-8

Why to get excited: Getting Gene Chizik was a major coup. Dan McCarney did a great job of getting the program on the map, but it was time for some new blood and new ideas, and Chizik is a potential coaching star who knows the Big 12. QB Bret Meyer returns to provide some stability through the transition, while nine starters are back on defense only losing three players from the two-deep. On the non-conference schedule, the yearly battle with Iowa is at home along with layups against Kent State and Northern Iowa. Four of the last six games are at home, but ...

Why to be grouchy: ... the Cyclones get tagged by the Big 12 slate having to play Texas, Oklahoma and Texas Tech from the South. With away games at Nebraska and Missouri, getting to seven wins might be a tough task. Four starters are gone off an offensive line that was awful last year. Also gone are two of the defense's most productive playmakers, DE Shawn Moorehead and DT Brent Curvey.

The No. 1 thing to work on is: Finding a running back. The horrendous defense will sort itself out with all the returning experience and Chizik almost certain to make an immediate difference, but for the Cyclone offense to start to get back on track, it needs a running game. Either Stevie Hicks has to stay healthy and be reliable week-in-and-week-out, or someone else has to emerge to help carry the load.
    Biggest offensive loss: OT Aaron Brant
    Biggest defensive loss: DT Brent Curvey

http://msn.foxsports.com/cfb/story/6401046

Let my Fred's Posse Ride: Georges, Naz, Hogue, Bryce, Nader, Monte, Matt, and McKay.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 24%, Points required for next Level: 1,307
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 62
    Given: 149

Re: FoxSports Football Lookahead to 2007

What is it with people thinking we are getting Stevie Hicks back?

Addict Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Quote Originally Posted by cyfan964 View Post
    What is it with people thinking we are getting Stevie Hicks back?
    Probably the same reason many people think we're losing Meyer and Blythe this year. They don't care enough to know what year they all are. Too bad Scales was a bust out of high school, I was looking forward to him...

Addict
    Level completed: 5%, Points required for next Level: 1,816
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 220
    Given: 164

wow, shows how much THEY know...we have like 5 or 6 options at RB and I'll take any of them over Stevie Hicks. He wasn't TERRIBLE, but I want somebody explosive who will keep the drive alive w/o having throw for every 1st down.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 420
    Given: 43

I wouldn't label Scales as a bust yet. Injured and still fairly young. I would say the jury is still out. I think Bass will be the starter though. I also think that Chizik is filling out areas of need with our recruiting class. I have thought for a long time that our OL needed some big-time help. We never seemed to have enough DT's. Always moving one of our bigger DE's to fill in at DT. Never did like the smallish size of some of our corners. Wondered why we would continue to sign 3-4 WR's per year when we had a pretty full plate of them. And yet we would only get 1 DT per year.

I'm hoping for a 6-6 record and realize I could be disappointed or pleasantly surprised. I've been impresses with some of the guys who have verballed and think this staff will do a pretty decent job. Time will tell.

Also understand why EIU fans hate Pollard so much. He isn't satisfied with the status quo. He is challenging the fan base to aspire to greater things. I've bought in to his vision. IF Chizik can do great things. There could be a big boost in our fan base (at the expense of the Hawkeyes).

Addict Achievements:

Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Stormin View Post
    I wouldn't label Scales as a bust yet. Injured and still fairly young. I would say the jury is still out. I think Bass will be the starter though. I also think that Chizik is filling out areas of need with our recruiting class. I have thought for a long time that our OL needed some big-time help. We never seemed to have enough DT's. Always moving one of our bigger DE's to fill in at DT. Never did like the smallish size of some of our corners. Wondered why we would continue to sign 3-4 WR's per year when we had a pretty full plate of them. And yet we would only get 1 DT per year.

I'm hoping for a 6-6 record and realize I could be disappointed or pleasantly surprised. I've been impresses with some of the guys who have verballed and think this staff will do a pretty decent job. Time will tell.

Also understand why EIU fans hate Pollard so much. He isn't satisfied with the status quo. He is challenging the fan base to aspire to greater things. I've bought in to his vision. IF Chizik can do great things. There could be a big boost in our fan base (at the expense of the Hawkeyes).
    I agree with most of what you say. However, I was surprised at our OL this year. They seemed to do a fairly good job last year, and this year I felt they were worse than I was in high school. And I was a 160 lb Center in 4A Iowa ball, when CR Xavier made the play-offs for the second time in school history (5-6 years). To me, I think it's hilarious that the Hawk fans are so upset at Pollard, and making claims such as "McDermott won't do anything, Jacobsen was the 'real' coach at UNI" and that "Chizik wasn't a very good D-Coord." blah blah blah. Now that they're threatening to drop the series again, it only jells my beliefs that they want to play ISU when we suck, but when we can beat them, they want a "real contender." (or Montana State, whichever will sign a Home and Home in IC with them)

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 420
    Given: 43

I agree that our OL sucked last year. But what happened against Mizzou with Koch at RB? I think alot of our problems were the slow developing plays and predictablility. It seemed we were always trying to throw "darts", hoping something might work. We never seemed to have a real offensive plan. I think our new Offensive Coordinator has got to be better than Cotton was. You can't get much worse (except for Fine).

Bench Warmer
    Level completed: 52%, Points required for next Level: 389
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

I like Cotton as an individual, but not as a coach. He was stubborn, he liked using "his" players and he believed that a play would work eventually. If it didn't work the first 10 times - it most certainly will work the 11th. If not the 11th, for sure the 12th time it would! Adjustments were not part of our playbook and the result was everyone suffered.

We believed in this team and were let down. Now we believe in a new coaching staff. The D is experienced and will be helped with new recruits. The O has the big weapons back and recruits that could make an impact right away.

Start raising the bar! 5-6-7 wins shouldn't be our goal, as fans. Look the schedule, we go 4-0 in non-conference, it could be a very special season. 9 or 10 wins could be achieved. You gotta believe!

Addict
    Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 339
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 1

Its hard to question someones philosophies an coaching styles here. Cotton was passionate about the team, but just couldn't get everything to work together all the time like he wanted. Was that his fault; partly, but also the players fault as well.

I am not trying to be politically correct on this so lets face it, our offense was just horrible compared to what it should be. But what happens if you implement the same coach with the same style at a different school. It may or may not work and that is something else to debat on, but it at least its deserving.

Its way too early to tell, but you could agrue on Chizik's success. He has done remarkable things for a lot of other schools, BIGGER schools. But who is to say those things will happen here. Obviously we all hope so and strongly believe it could, but if it doesnt; does that make him a bad coach. Maybe, but somehow I doubt it.

RB is a concern just as much as the OL. I dont think anyoe has shown that they can fill those shoes. This could be because of the talent, or because of NO OL, but that is yet to be determined. I believe that Scales has just as much a shot at starting as Bass does, but Bass will probably get the spot. He seems bigger and thus stronger for a RB. Speed wise its hard to compare because I havn't see Bass play, but if he can hit those holes then he will be a sure fit.

"You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace." -- Ernie Banks

All-Star
    Level completed: 91%, Points required for next Level: 79
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3
    Given: 1

thats the same exact article that cfn originally posted about 3 weeks ago. one of these days there will be a write up that is actually done by someone who realy knows about the clones. chris, you there? also, did everyone forget about losing de'andre or what?

Bench Warmer Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up

Maybe Josh Johnson will be in the mix at running back, he was getting a lot of ink last summer, but only got in a few games. McCarney said he got too "wide eyed" at game time. Josh probably should have been red shirted.

Starter
    Level completed: 61%, Points required for next Level: 316
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

I agree that tailback is as much of a question as OL. I guess it all really depends on what kind of offensive scheme we run though. In Bass' highlight videos, he looked kind of one-dimensional. Always running to the outside with his good speed, getting some good yards, but then going down on first contact. My fingers are crossed that Scales stays healthy and we can all really see what kind of player he is.

Johnson had a lot of buzz about him when he was running like mad over guys like Matt Berg and Nick Harklau, but who knows how good he is against legitimate competition.

I think we will see more of a RB by committee utilizing all of their various skills. Does anybody know about the receiving and pass blocking skills of these 'backs? I think that will be a defining attribute of our starter next year, whoever that will be.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 57%, Points required for next Level: 656
    Overall activity: 23.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 49
    Given: 52

Quote Originally Posted by Stormin View Post
    I wouldn't label Scales as a bust yet. Injured and still fairly young. I would say the jury is still out. I think Bass will be the starter though. I also think that Chizik is filling out areas of need with our recruiting class. I have thought for a long time that our OL needed some big-time help. We never seemed to have enough DT's. Always moving one of our bigger DE's to fill in at DT.
    Scales hasn't been healthy long enough for us to know what he can do. With the amount of time he's been around, I'd expect him to be in the 2-deep next year, whether its the starter or the backup.

DTs are the hardest position to recruit in football. Great ones straight out of high school are rare breeds, and they get snatched up by places like Florida and USC. Nick Leaders was one of those few instances where we found one who could come right in and play. Even Jordan Carstens who went to the NFL had to grow into the position. He came in as a freshman at like a Buck 90.

Legend Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up

Is there anything right about that article?

1) Hicks??? Enough said

2) This is subjective, but I wouldn't lay last year's failures at the feet of the Defense. They weren't good, there's no denying it. But they weren't supposed to be. The disappointment of last season was the offense by leaps and bounds. Given how bad they played and the amazingly poor positions they put the D in, and how young the D was combined with some key injuries (DeAndre) I think the D did pretty well..... considering.

3) Biggest loss on O - Aaron Brandt? Seriously? By the end of the year I was ready for everybody on the line to be gone. But if you're going to pick a loss on O, Aaron is down the list. How about Stephenson? Or even Flynn?

I guess they do have somethings right... they got the memo we have a new coach....

Prospect Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up

Actually, this terrible article displayed by Fox, was originally crafted by those geniuses at CFN. But then, this comes from the media group that airs Bill O'Reilly and claims to be fair and balanced. While we probably won't finish much better than that as a record, this article shows incredibly lazy journalism both on the part of CFN for writing this crap, and Fox for reposting it with out any sort of review.

Who are you George Costanza? I am the opposite of every man you've ever met.