Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 18
  1. #1
    All-Star
    Points: 21,664, Level: 45
    Level completed: 2%, Points required for next Level: 886
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran10000 Experience Points
    DrewCo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Quad Cities
    Posts
    1,077
    Points
    21,664
    Level
    45
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Big XII Recruting Comparison

    This is just a list of how I think the 2009 recruting classes in the Big XII stack up against each other. Put a list of your order down too.

    1. Texas ( I just think that Avery Bradley and Jordan Hamilton make better recruits than Elijah Johnson and Xavier Henry) Best Recruit: Avery Bradley

    2. Kansas (Johnson, Henry, and Robinson are all studs. Henry may be one and done, but he is still a stud.) Best Recruit: Xavier Henry

    3. Oklahoma (Tiny Gallon and Mason-Griffith are great, and so is the Fitzgerald kid from Brewster.) Best Recruit: Keith Gallon

    4. Oklahoma State (Seven solid recruits with 3 four stars, beats out K-State and Wally Judge for the 4 spot.) Best Recruit: Karron Johnson

    5. Kansas State (Wally Judge and Rodney McGruder keep up Kansas States streak of bringing in top DC Assault players. They also have other players coming in with alot of potential like 7 footer Jordan Henriquez.) Best Recruit: Wally Judge

    6. Baylor (Three 4 star players with alot of potential coming in. Could even make the case that they are higher than K-State. Also have Givon Crump from Brewster coming in, who ISU was recruiting hard.) Best Recruit: Cory Jefferson

    7. Texas A&M (5 solid recruits coming in. I would compare their class alot to our 2008 class. But I believe they just edge out I-State for number 7.) Best Recruit: Naji Hibbert

    8. Iowa State (Obviously I dont need to type much about our class because those of us Fanatics that are on here everyday know everything there is to know about every recruit. Our class really depends on Dendy and Gilstrap. If they live up to the hype, then that rockets this recruiting class up 3 or 4 spots. I dont really know who to put for best recruit, because if we are looking at for next year, the pick would be obvious, Gilstrap. But I am going to go for who will help ISU most in the future, so I am going to put Colvin.) Best Recruit: Chris Colvin

    9. Missouri (Missouri's class is surprisingly weak after a 3 seed in the NCAA tournament, but I expect their recruiting to pick up next year.) Best Recruit: Keith Dewitt

    10. Texas Tech (Brad Reese (Marquis Gilstrap's Juco teamate) will be very good at Tech. They also have some other solid recruits coming in.) Best Recruit: Brad Reese

    11. Nebraska (Alot of unknown recruits here, but most of them can come in right away and play due to graduations and trasfers etc. Standhardinger forn Germany could turn out to be a pleasant surprise.) Best Recruit: Vander Joaquim

    12. Colorado (Their bringing in a big man from Austrailia who could pan out to be good, and Alec Burks is a very solid pick up.) Best Recruit: Alec Burks

    These are all just my opinions, so please dont fry me if you think I am wrong. Thanks.



  2. #2
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 37,856, Level: 60
    Level completed: 1%, Points required for next Level: 1,194
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Altoona
    Posts
    3,777
    Points
    37,856
    Level
    60
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 0

    Re: Big XII Recruting Comparison

    Hopefully though, we have the recruit that will make the biggest impact this season, Gilstrap.



  3. #3
    All-Star
    Points: 21,664, Level: 45
    Level completed: 2%, Points required for next Level: 886
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran10000 Experience Points
    DrewCo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Quad Cities
    Posts
    1,077
    Points
    21,664
    Level
    45
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Big XII Recruting Comparison

    Quote Originally Posted by ISUonthemove View Post
    Hopefully though, we have the recruit that will make the biggest impact this season, Gilstrap.
    True, I put the "Best Recruit" as the person who i thought would make the biggest impact in their career.



  4. #4
    All-Star
    Points: 71,046, Level: 82
    Level completed: 77%, Points required for next Level: 404
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    brokenloginagain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    1,951
    Points
    71,046
    Level
    82
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 10
    Given: 0

    Re: Big XII Recruting Comparison

    A couple things...

    1)agree on Tx and KU - terrific talent. If Tx somehow gets J'covan Brown eligible, look out! Hopefully (for us) the Henry boys are team chemistry killers - they certainly have that potential!

    2) I'd rank KSU third - don't forget Curtis Kelly, a former rivals 5-star transfer from UCONN.

    3) Thankfully (for us) Karron Johnson at OSU is ineligible and going JUCO

    4) I'm going to make a bet that Keith Gallon will be the most disappointing "big time" big12 recruit. Even though the guy is 280lbs, he plays somewhat soft and likes to jack threes.

    5) It pains me to say this, but Nebraska managed to land a smattering of jucos, and I still think that team will be somewhat dangerous with Sadler at the helm. Neb won't go back to being an easy win, IMHO.

    6)No one's talking about A&M, I don't think the Elonu loss is that big a deal and they will be really good. Baylor continues to bring in top talent, but can Drew get them to play defense? They were quite the underachievers last year.

    7)Looking forward to Gilstrap, Dendy, Christopherson, and Colvin - will be interesting to see how they fit in, and if they can be big time contributors in year 1.



  5. #5
    Addict
    Points: 83,430, Level: 89
    Level completed: 83%, Points required for next Level: 320
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Hudson, Iowa
    Posts
    8,008
    Points
    83,430
    Level
    89
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 24
    Given: 14

    Re: Big XII Recruting Comparison

    Baylor is the team that has suprised me the last few years in both Football and Basketball. How are they able to pull in recruits like this? Their stellar college atmosphere?



  6. #6
    Legend
    Points: 177,591, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Aclone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Des Moines, Ia.
    Posts
    12,451
    Points
    177,591
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 35
    Given: 93

    Re: Big XII Recruting Comparison

    Quote Originally Posted by Bobber View Post
    Baylor is the team that has suprised me the last few years in both Football and Basketball. How are they able to pull in recruits like this? Their stellar college atmosphere?
    They're in Texas, and and some of those kids like to stay close to home. And after UT and A&M, some probably feel that Waco beats Lubbock. Then there is the fact that they get the benefit of playing in the best conference in the country, without having to suffer through the cold of the Northern states...

    Nice review. But does UT really get full credit for signing three wing players? Can they all be on the floor at the same time? And what are they going to do for a point? The other talent means nothing if there is noone to get you the ball.




    Paul Rhoads' players never quit.


  7. #7
    All-Star
    Points: 71,046, Level: 82
    Level completed: 77%, Points required for next Level: 404
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    brokenloginagain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    1,951
    Points
    71,046
    Level
    82
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 10
    Given: 0

    Re: Big XII Recruting Comparison

    Quote Originally Posted by Aclone View Post
    They're in Texas, and and some of those kids like to stay close to home. And after UT and A&M, some probably feel that Waco beats Lubbock. Then there is the fact that they get the benefit of playing in the best conference in the country, without having to suffer through the cold of the Northern states...

    Nice review. But does UT really get full credit for signing three wing players? Can they all be on the floor at the same time? And what are they going to do for a point? The other talent means nothing if there is noone to get you the ball.
    AClone - meet Jai Lucas. (Justin Mason and Dogus Balbay can pass/dribble just fine, they just couldn't shoot/score, hence all the SGs/perimeter recruits).



  8. #8
    Legend
    Points: 177,591, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Aclone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Des Moines, Ia.
    Posts
    12,451
    Points
    177,591
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 35
    Given: 93

    Re: Big XII Recruting Comparison

    Quote Originally Posted by brokenloginagain View Post
    AClone - meet Jai Lucas. (Justin Mason and Dogus Balbay can pass/dribble just fine, they just couldn't shoot/score, hence all the SGs/perimeter recruits).
    Ah. I didn't know that Lucas had ended up there. Don't follow college hoops and recruiting as intensely as I used to. Thanks.




    Paul Rhoads' players never quit.


  9. #9
    All-Star
    Points: 21,664, Level: 45
    Level completed: 2%, Points required for next Level: 886
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran10000 Experience Points
    DrewCo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Quad Cities
    Posts
    1,077
    Points
    21,664
    Level
    45
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Big XII Recruting Comparison

    Quote Originally Posted by brokenloginagain View Post
    A couple things...

    1)agree on Tx and KU - terrific talent. If Tx somehow gets J'covan Brown eligible, look out! Hopefully (for us) the Henry boys are team chemistry killers - they certainly have that potential!

    2) I'd rank KSU third - don't forget Curtis Kelly, a former rivals 5-star transfer from UCONN.

    3) Thankfully (for us) Karron Johnson at OSU is ineligible and going JUCO

    4) I'm going to make a bet that Keith Gallon will be the most disappointing "big time" big12 recruit. Even though the guy is 280lbs, he plays somewhat soft and likes to jack threes.

    5) It pains me to say this, but Nebraska managed to land a smattering of jucos, and I still think that team will be somewhat dangerous with Sadler at the helm. Neb won't go back to being an easy win, IMHO.

    6)No one's talking about A&M, I don't think the Elonu loss is that big a deal and they will be really good. Baylor continues to bring in top talent, but can Drew get them to play defense? They were quite the underachievers last year.

    7)Looking forward to Gilstrap, Dendy, Christopherson, and Colvin - will be interesting to see how they fit in, and if they can be big time contributors in year 1.
    Totally forgot about Kelly, and I didnt know that Johnson was ineligible. Thats great news for us!



  10. #10
    Addict
    Points: 165,121, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    jaretac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Frigidaire
    Posts
    7,629
    Points
    165,121
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Big XII Recruting Comparison

    Quote Originally Posted by ISUonthemove View Post
    Hopefully though, we have the recruit that will make the biggest impact this season, Gilstrap.
    Not only that, but according to ESPN, he is one of the top recruits in the conference. There are only 5 recruits rated higher, and two of those are going to Texas.

    Based on ESPN's ratings, here are the highest rated class:

    #..School.......Average Rating
    1..Texas........96.3
    2..Kansas.......95.5
    3..Oklahoma.....93
    4..Baylor.......91.2
    5..ISU..........91
    6..KSU..........90.4
    7..Tech.........90.2
    8..OSU..........89.9
    9..A&M..........89.6
    10.Nebraska.....88
    11.Missouri.....85.5
    12.Colorado.....83.5

    (Note- I removed all recruits with the rating "40", because on ESPN "40" means the recruit hasn't been evaluated. No matter how poor the recruit is, if evaluated, the recruit would have a higher ranking than 40. Counting these rankings would unfairly negatively influence the average. Texas, Kansas, ISU and Nebraska may all be slightly off due to this. Also, of these recruits, Dendy seems to be the only one rated by anyone, listed as a 3* by scout.com, would likely be mid-80s on ESPN)


    Last edited by jaretac; 06-28-2009 at 11:36 AM.

  11. #11
    All-Star
    Points: 21,664, Level: 45
    Level completed: 2%, Points required for next Level: 886
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran10000 Experience Points
    DrewCo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Quad Cities
    Posts
    1,077
    Points
    21,664
    Level
    45
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Big XII Recruting Comparison

    I was fairly close then.



  12. #12
    Legend
    Points: 177,591, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Aclone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Des Moines, Ia.
    Posts
    12,451
    Points
    177,591
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 35
    Given: 93

    Re: Big XII Recruting Comparison

    Quote Originally Posted by jaretac View Post
    Also, of these recruits, Dandy seems to be the only one rated by anyone, listed as a 3* by scout.com)
    Because he missed most of the season due to injury?

    He was a 4 star out of HS, right?




    Paul Rhoads' players never quit.


  13. #13
    All-Star
    Points: 21,664, Level: 45
    Level completed: 2%, Points required for next Level: 886
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran10000 Experience Points
    DrewCo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Quad Cities
    Posts
    1,077
    Points
    21,664
    Level
    45
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Big XII Recruting Comparison

    Quote Originally Posted by Aclone View Post
    Because he missed most of the season due to injury?

    He was a 4 star out of HS, right?
    Correct.



  14. #14
    Just Win Baby
    Points: 302,578, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Clones85''s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    13,339
    Points
    302,578
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Big XII Recruting Comparison

    Tiny Gallon will be as good as advertised. And it sounds as though he has leaned up quite a bit



  15. #15
    All-Star
    Points: 71,046, Level: 82
    Level completed: 77%, Points required for next Level: 404
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    brokenloginagain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    1,951
    Points
    71,046
    Level
    82
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 10
    Given: 0

    Re: Big XII Recruting Comparison

    Quote Originally Posted by Clones85' View Post
    Tiny Gallon will be as good as advertised. And it sounds as though he has leaned up quite a bit
    What do you think he averages next year, pts and rbs? Not sure how good "advertised is" just wondering if you care to take a more quantitative guess?



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • Football
  • Iowa State vs. North Dakota State
  • August 30, 2014
  • 06:00 PM