Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Re: Gymnasts Win vs Missouri!

That was the first time I've ever seen a gymnastics meet in person. Wow, people really don't know what they're missing! Seriously- everyone froths at the mouth for football and men's basketball and totally ignores all the rest of the sports. For my money, volleyball and gymnastics (in that order) are two of the most entertaining sports out there.

Anyway, it was pretty cool. We ended up taking 11 out of the 15 placings, and won the meet. There was a 2-way tie for second in the vault, a two-way tie for first in the beam, and a THREE-way tie for first in the bars!

Things are comparatively slow through the first half of the meet (vault and bars). Floor exercises are where it's all at. There was a respectably-sized student section there, and they got as rowdy as they do at MBB games, and more so than at wrestling meets. The floor routines are freaking awesome, so I can see why. (Anybody that can launch themselves 8 feet into the air and then do a full-body slam to the floor without getting a concussion gets my respect. Those who can do it to the beat of music get immediate adulation.)

Fun stuff, and only five bucks, too! Count on seeing me at the rest of their home meets.

ISU Students- We take on Oklahoma on February 16, and admission is FREE! Make sure you're there! There is also free admission to the meet vs. Minnesota on March 2.

Last edited by ornryactor; 02-03-2007 at 01:23 AM.
    True and Valiant

I also remember a game with Kansas when Cy (wore a huge suit then) went out to center field, squatted, and "pooped" a couple of chickens that had been dyed blue then chased them around.
    Quote Originally Posted by DJK15

God I hope so, even if it's not the right thing to do, KF needs to do it.
    Victory before honor.

Addict Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up

How can you not enjoy the uneven bars and vault ornyactor? Oh, and that "student section" you spoke of is actually a Fraternity and Sorority that support the Gymnastics team. Just like wrestling, there is no "student section" at the Gymnastics meets. Also, the balance beam is where it's really at. Actually, my Mother was a Gymnast for the Clones back in the '70's, so she really turned me onto the sport, and I really really wish that ISU would bring back the Men's Gymnastics, even if it's just in club form. Rings and Pomahorse rule!

Everyone should really check out this stuff too, it's amazing what these guys and gals can do with their bodies. It's truly what the Greeks saw in the human body, and that is perfection.

Rookie
    Level completed: 25%, Points required for next Level: 453
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 1

I also went for the first time. I took my 4 year old daughter thinking she would enjoy it and she did. I am not sure who enjoyed it more though. We will go again.

Pro
    Level completed: 46%, Points required for next Level: 540
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

I know there's no official student section (such as Cyclone Alley) at any of the "unimportant" sports. ISU students tend to sit together at events, and I simply use the term "student section" to refer to the area where they congregate. At any rate, yes, the greek chapters were quite supportive, as were all the students sitting in that section who were not in the greek chapters (there were many, and I am one of them). It was a neat atmosphere.

I didn't say that I disliked the vault or bars; I did like them. The bars were especially impressive. I simply enjoyed floor the most, by a lot. It's just personal preference; nothing to get worked up over. I still have an incredible amount of respect for the other disciplines. Though I liked floor better, beam was pretty cool. Once I figured out about halfway through ISU's beam set that the gymnasts were selecting the song that played during their routine, it made a lot more sense to me and I enjoyed it more.

I was in gymnastics myself for a long time during elementary ages, and I vaguely remember seeing the UIowa men's gymnasts coming to demonstrate for us or work with us once every few months. Wrestling, nothing- male gymnasts are RIPPED beyond all belief.

True and Valiant

I also remember a game with Kansas when Cy (wore a huge suit then) went out to center field, squatted, and "pooped" a couple of chickens that had been dyed blue then chased them around.
    Quote Originally Posted by DJK15

God I hope so, even if it's not the right thing to do, KF needs to do it.
    Victory before honor.