Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

I cheer for two teams, Iowa State and whoever is playing the hawkeyes.

Starter
    Level completed: 41%, Points required for next Level: 473
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 11

Re: Great article about AAU basketball

Wow. This is an outstanding article, and a must-read for everyone who has a strong interest in the college basketball game.

Be sure to read it today (Friday) all Wall Street Journal articles are free only on day of on-line publish only.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 26.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 106

Interesting article. I agree it has an affect, because it has changed the way the game is played here. However, were kids better before when they played just during the basketball season and didn't have AAU in the summer? Rodney Carney didn't play AAU, and it's not like you would have known just by watching him play.

Addict
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 14
    Given: 10

AAU isn't the cause...the cause is AAU coaches who don't teach. An example of a great AAU coach is Illinois Wolves CEO Mike Mullins. Some of his past players include Bobby Frasor, Evan Turner, etc. Almost all of his players contribute immediately at the collegiate level, because he runs a structured offense, constantly stresses defense, and has almost daily practices to work on fundementals.
    At the opposite end of the spectrum is the Mac Irvin Fire. Year in and year out, they have one of the top 5 most talented teams in the country. However, hardly anyone on their team plays team ball, with the exception of a few players. They're all about "gotta get mine" and don't play defense or run an offense. Many of their very, very talented players take a long time to adjust to the college game, becasue they have no knowledge of fundementals..Imo, you don't blame the game, you blame the coaches who let this happen in the first place.

All-Star
    Level completed: 38%, Points required for next Level: 749
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience PointsSocial

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 13
    Given: 70

Quote Originally Posted by cyismydog View Post
    AAU isn't the cause...the cause is AAU coaches who don't teach. An example of a great AAU coach is Illinois Wolves CEO Mike Mullins. Some of his past players include Bobby Frasor, Evan Turner, etc. Almost all of his players contribute immediately at the collegiate level, because he runs a structured offense, constantly stresses defense, and has almost daily practices to work on fundementals.
    At the opposite end of the spectrum is the Mac Irvin Fire. Year in and year out, they have one of the top 5 most talented teams in the country. However, hardly anyone on their team plays team ball, with the exception of a few players. They're all about "gotta get mine" and don't play defense or run an offense. Many of their very, very talented players take a long time to adjust to the college game, becasue they have no knowledge of fundementals..Imo, you don't blame the game, you blame the coaches who let this happen in the first place.
    QFT.

AAU coaches are agents for highscool players. Most agents don't care about their clients ability only how to maximize the profit potential of that client.

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

I coached some AAU back in the late 80s when it was a much more purified environment than it is today.

The AAU game today is all about money for everyone involved...AAU, sponsors, coaches, and players.

The AAU wants there to be as many teams as possible involved with as many of their tournaments as possible so they can drive more revenue to their organization.

Their appears to be two primary kind of coaches...both using kids but in different ways. One type is the coach that wants to get a high profile team together with high profile kids so he can build a name for himself and either get a college coaching gig or some level of payola for sending players to certain schools. This type of coach is not going to do much more than role the ball out there and let them play. The other focuses on building a program where they have multiple teams in every age group competing. This second kind of coach preys on the parents that can pay by telling them how great junior is and what fantastic exposure AAU will bring to their wonderful offspring and how that might lead to a college scholarship. This type of coach probably does some teaching of the fundamentals but the most important thing is that those checks (or better yet cash that can be shielded from the IRS) from the players keep coming in. I personally know a guy that has 5 teams with 12 kids on each that are paying $1000 each to be on the team. He uses the HS gym where he is coach rent free in the spring and summer for practice. He has ex-players in school help him with the coaching and pays them very little money. The kids have to pay their own travel to most tournaments and he gets a sponsor for the big trip to Orlando. The uniforms are cheap. He is probably netting $50,000 easily with very little effort for 2-3 months of work. Nice way to augment that teaching/coaching income. Not to mention his wife has a club volleyball program that is probably 3 times as big as his basketball program.

Recruit
    Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 418
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

Don't take this the wrong way (I know some of you will go off and call me an McDermott Hater), but I think this article also points out some of our continued and future problems with our (ISU's) system - which is defense first, defense second, ... - the stud kids coming out of high school/AAU and want to score points. They will go play in a system that scores points. That leaves the second tier players to come to our system - the ones who want to play D1 ball, and will play hard, but will not produce a very exciting product in the BigXII. It has proven that this system can work at mid-majors, where the conference cometition is less, but not at the major conference (Big12, Big10, ACC, Big East, PAC10) level. I just wish Coach McDermott would make some adjustments (more offensive rebounding, more pressing) that would lead to more scoring and perhaps, better talent.

All-Star
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by CycloneTJS View Post
    Don't take this the wrong way (I know some of you will go off and call me an McDermott Hater), but I think this article also points out some of our continued and future problems with our (ISU's) system - which is defense first, defense second, ... - the stud kids coming out of high school/AAU and want to score points. They will go play in a system that scores points. That leaves the second tier players to come to our system - the ones who want to play D1 ball, and will play hard, but will not produce a very exciting product in the BigXII. It has proven that this system can work at mid-majors, where the conference cometition is less, but not at the major conference (Big12, Big10, ACC, Big East, PAC10) level. I just wish Coach McDermott would make some adjustments (more offensive rebounding, more pressing) that would lead to more scoring and perhaps, better talent.
    It seems that last years #1 draft pick wishes someone would have stressed this to him a time before. Don't get me wrong, you know Beasley loves the paycecks, but one can tell from his quotes he wishes he was a little better prepared.

Walk On
    Level completed: 36%, Points required for next Level: 386
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

I truly feel the year round season for kids starting at age 2 (or earlier probably) has taken alot of the fun out of sports. I liked it better when the seasons actually started and stopped. I know the kids are so much more developed, etc. but they are all living the life of Olympic atheletes where they have no other life but the sports they are forced to pick over others just to stay in that "niche" that Mom & Dad want them to get into. I liked it better when schools weren't factories that had great teams year after year. To me, it was more entertaining when you would have a "Hoosiers" like year every so often and there were still surprises once in awhile. I commend the High School Athletic Unions for putting on season limits, but then the AAU's aren't regulated at all that I know of. We played pick up games with the same people day after day, what's wrong with playing the same teams over and over in your same town/area? Why do you have to travel 100 miles for your 8 year old to play games. Now let me get off my soapbox, thanks for listening.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 28.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 470
    Given: 422

Quote Originally Posted by bobh33 View Post
    I truly feel the year round season for kids starting at age 2 (or earlier probably) has taken alot of the fun out of sports. I liked it better when the seasons actually started and stopped. I know the kids are so much more developed, etc. but they are all living the life of Olympic atheletes where they have no other life but the sports they are forced to pick over others just to stay in that "niche" that Mom & Dad want them to get into. I liked it better when schools weren't factories that had great teams year after year. To me, it was more entertaining when you would have a "Hoosiers" like year every so often and there were still surprises once in awhile. I commend the High School Athletic Unions for putting on season limits, but then the AAU's aren't regulated at all that I know of. We played pick up games with the same people day after day, what's wrong with playing the same teams over and over in your same town/area? Why do you have to travel 100 miles for your 8 year old to play games. Now let me get off my soapbox, thanks for listening.
    I agree that it's sad that it's come to this but don't just blame Mom & Dad. My daughter has to make some choices on which sports to pursue not because I want her to but because, as it is, if you don't you won't be good enough to play in any of them because you will miss practices of one to attend another. Unless you are truly gifted, which few are.

I don't like it and 90% of the parents involved don't either. It kind of just is what it is.

All-Star
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by bobh33 View Post
    Because the AAU coach will not promote you to the proper people, and may even be a detriment, unless you fork over the green.

Not to rehash old wounds, but why do you think J. Sullivan has said ISU may not be the best place for HB? Because Jake does not believe that ISU offers HB (and Jake) the greatest profit potential for the future. Whether thats right or wrong is debateable but the AAU coaches are out for themselves first no matter what they may say.

Addict
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 14
    Given: 10

Quote Originally Posted by cyclonenum1 View Post
    I coached some AAU back in the late 80s when it was a much more purified environment than it is today.

The AAU game today is all about money for everyone involved...AAU, sponsors, coaches, and players.

The AAU wants there to be as many teams as possible involved with as many of their tournaments as possible so they can drive more revenue to their organization.

Their appears to be two primary kind of coaches...both using kids but in different ways. One type is the coach that wants to get a high profile team together with high profile kids so he can build a name for himself and either get a college coaching gig or some level of payola for sending players to certain schools. This type of coach is not going to do much more than role the ball out there and let them play. The other focuses on building a program where they have multiple teams in every age group competing. This second kind of coach preys on the parents that can pay by telling them how great junior is and what fantastic exposure AAU will bring to their wonderful offspring and how that might lead to a college scholarship. This type of coach probably does some teaching of the fundamentals but the most important thing is that those checks (or better yet cash that can be shielded from the IRS) from the players keep coming in. I personally know a guy that has 5 teams with 12 kids on each that are paying $1000 each to be on the team. He uses the HS gym where he is coach rent free in the spring and summer for practice. He has ex-players in school help him with the coaching and pays them very little money. The kids have to pay their own travel to most tournaments and he gets a sponsor for the big trip to Orlando. The uniforms are cheap. He is probably netting $50,000 easily with very little effort for 2-3 months of work. Nice way to augment that teaching/coaching income. Not to mention his wife has a club volleyball program that is probably 3 times as big as his basketball program.
    Not always...once again, Mullins. Adidas pays for all his equip, etc. You don't have to pay anything to get in except for a $50 try-out fee, to avoid everyone and their sister trying out. The kids get free travel, shoes, uniforms etc. Mullins has had a ton of opportunities to coach at the collegiate level, but he hasn't taken them, b/c he likes working with kids. For him, (Although he's different than most AAU coaches) it's all about helping the kids.

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Not always...once again, Mullins. Adidas pays for all his equip, etc. You don't have to pay anything to get in except for a $50 try-out fee, to avoid everyone and their sister trying out. The kids get free travel, shoes, uniforms etc. Mullins has had a ton of opportunities to coach at the collegiate level, but he hasn't taken them, b/c he likes working with kids. For him, (Although he's different than most AAU coaches) it's all about helping the kids.
    I don't know all of the various coaches in AAU...but I would hope there are a few still out there that are in it for the kids. Having said that, unfortunately, I think most coaches fall into one of the two categories I described. Again, as I said before, it is all about the money for the AAU, for sponsors, for most coaches, and for many of the players.

All-Star
    Level completed: 77%, Points required for next Level: 215
    Achievements:
    VeteranCreated Album pictures10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

AAU isn't the cause...the cause is AAU coaches who don't teach. Imo, you don't blame the game, you blame the coaches who let this happen in the first place.
    AAU coaches spend to much time recruiting and have to satisfy parents & players or the player will go somewhere else. I blame the parents who view AAU as a ticket to a D1 scholarship and not as another tool to help build their kids character. AAU is seen as a financial investment. Thats what coaches are selling because that is what parents are buying.

Pro
    Level completed: 15%, Points required for next Level: 1,022
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4

Mac Irvin Fire's coaches are a total piece of work. Total gangsters that want their kids to play street ball. There team usually has sick talent though...