Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Ford Freestyle???

Yes, it's me again. Bear with me folks, I can't buy a pair of socks with going through agony!!! Now we are looking at a 2005 Freestyle with only 21K miles for $14,900. It's FWD but has the third row seating with quad second row seats and mid 25 mileage. I guess they only made them from 05-07 and then started calling them the Taurus X.

Thanks again for your input!

Legend
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 28.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 381
    Given: 601

Re: Ford Freestyle???

Quote Originally Posted by bobh33 View Post
    Yes, it's me again. Bear with me folks, I can't buy a pair of socks with going through agony!!! Now we are looking at a 2005 Freestyle with only 21K miles for $14,900. It's FWD but has the third row seating with quad second row seats and mid 25 mileage. I guess they only made them from 05-07 and then started calling them the Taurus X.

Grandparents have one. It's a grandparents type car. Tons of room in the back, typical Ford interior (bad), but it would probably be decently reliable. Seems a little pricey to me though. I would think more along the lines of $12K.

I don't know a lot about the reliability but like you said, 2005 was the first model year. The good thing is that Ford seems to use the same engines/transmissions over and over.

Addict
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 14
    Given: 10

Exact car we currently have...the car accelerates and rides extremely smoothly. HOwever, we have had all kind of trouble with small things...the seats break 2 or 3x per year, which is covered by warranty, and we have repeatedly had trouble with engine sensors. We've had to have it in the shop for other things too. To summarize, I like how it rides and drives, bt it has a lot of small things wrong with it, like seats, doors, etc. And the ABS didn't work properly for a while too.

All-Star
    Level completed: 72%, Points required for next Level: 287
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7
    Given: 22

I own a 2005 also. We enjoy it, definitely a great ride. Engine is ok, have had no problems with it. I do agree the interior has some to be desired.

Overall great grocery getter and kid hauler. We can pack alot of crap into it.

Turn the traction control off in the snow.

All-Star
    Level completed: 72%, Points required for next Level: 287
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7
    Given: 22

heat and air controls are a pain to run, but the auto heat and cool does work well once you figure it out.

My wife loves the thing and puts a ton of miles on it...

All-Star
    Level completed: 70%, Points required for next Level: 305
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 49
    Given: 26

Use New Cars, Used Cars, Car Reviews and Pricing - Edmunds.com to see what a fair price would be. It will save you a lot of sleep.

Addict
    Level completed: 93%, Points required for next Level: 150
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 46
    Given: 61

We have some friends who have one about that age and they really like it.

I'm driving a 08 Taurus right now and have put 44,000 miles on it with zero problems.

Addict
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 83
    Given: 481

Parents have a 2006 Freestyle. They love it. It is a parents/grandparents sort of car, but once you get past that, it isn't too bad. Nice powerband, with no real deadspots. Good acceleration. Good mileage. Parents got the deluxe interior, and have had no problems with it. Hate to admit, but it is more fun to drive than it should be.

If you are looking for a used car in the grocery-getter section, this is a solid choice.

"Dog Eat Dog"
    Read the news
    Someone win,
    Someone lose

All-Star
    Level completed: 33%, Points required for next Level: 608
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

For the record I typically avoid these kinds of threads like the plague, but I will give you a little input. It probably is a little high but you always pay a premium for low miles 3, 4 and 5 years old. Real wholesale sale money right now at the auction depending on equipment (I’ll assume it’s an SE) for this car is anywhere from 10500 to 12000 depending on who is in the lane.

You wont be able to find any evidence of that on any on-line site other than searching autotrader.com, cars.com, etc, and seeing what others are asking. The used car market is stupid right now and in all seriousness there has never been a better time to “trade” in a used Ford. They are currently at an all time high for wholesale value. Rivaling, and maybe even surpassing Honda and Toyota both in resale value at least for the time being.

I have a 2007 myself and my wife loves it. (I’m also driving a 2008 Taurus X as a demo) There have indeed been some brake rotor problems in the 2005/2006 models and maybe some small ticky-tacky issues but again Ford has had a ton of improvement and now rivals Toyota and Honda in initial quality ratings. So you should be able to buy with confidence considering it is a reputable dealer.

If it has been fully reconditioned and the guy didn’t skimp he likely owns it for somewhere in the mid 10’s and even as much as 12000 dollars. If he has had it awhile (which you can find out by running an auto check to see when it was inventoried) he likely might own it for less and also would be more willing to “push” it out.

The average consumer wont believe this but literally almost every car across the board has gone up 1000 to 1500 dollars in recent months (some more) and that was following another small up swing in the months proceeding. If you want to tell me where the car is online, or post the vin # or email me the vin @ mcclearys@aol.com, I’ll gladly tell you when and where it apears he acquired it.

Chad

Last edited by cmhawks99; 06-25-2009 at 10:34 PM.

All-Star
    Level completed: 72%, Points required for next Level: 316
    Achievements:
    VeteranCreated Album pictures25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

My wife has buyer's remorse leaving the pick up window at McDonald's drive thru-:)