Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

OT: HDTV Question

We just got a new HDTV tonight and mediacom is coming out on monday to hook up an HD Receiver. Now besides getting the HD Channels will a new receiver make the analog channels come in clearer? Because right now they are less than impressive! Thanks

Pro
    Level completed: 60%, Points required for next Level: 405
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Re: OT: HDTV Question

Quote Originally Posted by lennon3 View Post
    We just got a new HDTV tonight and mediacom is coming out on monday to hook up an HD Receiver. Now besides getting the HD Channels will a new receiver make the analog channels come in clearer? Because right now they are less than impressive! Thanks
    The channels themselves will not be clearer. Might appear so because of your new connection with better cables to an HD monitor. But saying that, it will appear to you that your analog channels will become worse because the HD will look so good!

All-Star
    Level completed: 69%, Points required for next Level: 345
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Created Album picturesVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 40
    Given: 3

Once you have HD you won't watch a lot of analog content ... trust me. Once my wife asked me why I was watching a football game that was a blowout, my response, because I like watching it snow in HD.

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 170
    Given: 57

Welcome to the lovely world of analog channels on an HDTV. They are probably not going to look any better coming through the HDTV receiver than they look now. The problem is that all of the abilities of the HDTV just expose all of the shortcomings of an analog signal. You didn't mention the size of your new tv, but when you take a poor quality picture and blow it up on a bigger screen, it just gets worse. And when you take a standard aspect picture and stretch it to fit your widescreen HDTV, it gets distorted.

Of course, once you have your hi-def cable, you may find yourself watching a lot less of the analog channels. Thats been my solution. The digital channels are very watchable if you have the digital package or any premium channels, but the HD channels blow it all away.

Rookie
    Level completed: 71%, Points required for next Level: 206
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Also I am confused with HDMI what exactly is that? Also when mediacom comes out to hook up the receiver will everything I need for HD be included or do you think I will need to go get more cords. The tv is a 37 inch LCD tv. And we got an awesome deal at sears for only 800!

Addict
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

That is a great price, now you don't have to feel bad about spending $$ on the cords. I picked up a 6' HDMI cord for $100. There are websites that you can get custom-length cords for about half the price (sorry, the name is escaping me right now but I'm sure you could just google 'hdmi cords') But of course, if you order a cord on the internet, you can't start watching HDTV right now! That's what got me :). Assuming your DVD player is hooked up to your current tv with S-video or RCA cables, you'll probably want to upgrade to a set of component video cables (3 seperate cables for each color stream). That will probably run you upwards of $50 as well...unless you have the patience for the internet!

Just to chime in on the other topic- my 37" HD is actually lower quality on analog channels than my old 25" tube was. I turn on the vertical black bars to squish the picture back to normal, but they're not quite wide enough - meaning my picture is still a little too wide. A little annoying, but I got used to it.

Addict
    Level completed: 82%, Points required for next Level: 332
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 19
    Given: 110

HDMI is like an S video cord, kinda. It gives you a much better picture/sound than an rca cable.
    What brands of tvs do you all like? Ive had an HD ready 36" Toshiba for 4 year now. It has a good picture, no thanks to mediacom, but its a full screen tv. Now they are all wide screen. I think were gonna upgrade here in the summer/fall(consumer reports is always saying how they prices are falling, so i put off buying a new one). I think im gonna get a 42-47" Toshiba, good rating and no complaints on out old Toshiba. Definately getting 1080.

#BEATIOWA

square root(31) = 5.56776436
    Overall activity: 20.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupVeteran50000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second Class
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 615
    Given: 2,488

Quote Originally Posted by ripvdub View Post
    HDMI is like an S video cord, kinda. It gives you a much better picture/sound than an rca cable.
    What brands of tvs do you all like? Ive had an HD ready 36" Toshiba for 4 year now. It has a good picture, no thanks to mediacom, but its a full screen tv. Now they are all wide screen. I think were gonna upgrade here in the summer/fall(consumer reports is always saying how they prices are falling, so i put off buying a new one). I think im gonna get a 42-47" Toshiba, good rating and no complaints on out old Toshiba. Definately getting 1080.
    That's exactly what we just got about a week ago, ripvdub (LINK). It's absolutely beautiful - we mostly watch movies and stuff on it, because the analog channels do look AWFUL. The game last night was incredibly grainy. It was down to this and a Wega, but the Wega's have a bulb that burns out w/in a couple of years. The Toshiba is a little slow to turn from channel to channel, but it's gorgeous.

Pro
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

An HDMI cable combines the best picture and audio capabilities into one cable. They can be expensive but you have to remember it is an all in one cable. It also saves a lot of clustering from not having multiple cables in you component area.

Rookie
    Level completed: 44%, Points required for next Level: 337
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

i always use monoprice.com for hdmi cable. Their 15ft hdmi is only about $8. Their hdmi switch is also very good.

POOTMFS
    Level completed: 6%, Points required for next Level: 1,799
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Angie View Post
    That's exactly what we just got about a week ago, ripvdub (LINK). It's absolutely beautiful - we mostly watch movies and stuff on it, because the analog channels do look AWFUL. The game last night was incredibly grainy. It was down to this and a Wega, but the Wega's have a bulb that burns out w/in a couple of years. The Toshiba is a little slow to turn from channel to channel, but it's gorgeous.
    The slowness of changing channels drives me nuts.
    It takes probably an extra 1/2 second, but dammit, I'm busy and want to switch channels NOW!!

Rookie
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by jtd9046 View Post
    An HDMI cable combines the best picture and audio capabilities into one cable. They can be expensive but you have to remember it is an all in one cable. It also saves a lot of clustering from not having multiple cables in you component area.
    That kinda depend on your tv though, hdmi cable is capable of carrying the video and audio digitally, but most hdtv are only capable of outputting stereo. I usually use hdmi cable in combination with digital optical cable for the audio.

Pro
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by conmebol View Post
    That kinda depend on your tv though, hdmi cable is capable of carrying the video and audio digitally, but most hdtv are only capable of outputting stereo. I usually use hdmi cable in combination with digital optical cable for the audio.
    Very true. For your surround sound system, you will still need an source to carry that signal to your audio system. Unless you have a new audio reciever that has HDMI connections like mine, then you can use it as follows. You will need 3 HDMI cables. One from the HD receiver and one from the DVD player. Those are both inserted into the audio reciever. Then there is one HDMI output on the receiver and you connect your 3rd HDMI cable to the TV. Follow that? LOL

Rookie
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

I haven't really upgraded my receiver, I haven't found any with 4+ hdmi input for my htpc, dvd, hd receiver, ps3 so I'm using hdmi switch from monoprice to basically do the switching. It's kinda inconvenient, but I'm waiting for a receiver that will have more hdmi input.

Pro
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by conmebol View Post
    I haven't really upgraded my receiver, I haven't found any with 4+ hdmi input for my htpc, dvd, hd receiver, ps3 so I'm using hdmi switch from monoprice to basically do the switching. It's kinda inconvenient, but I'm waiting for a receiver that will have more hdmi input.
    http://us.marantz.com/Products/1881.asp#

Great audio equipment!