Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 0

Chizik is owning recruiting

With about half as much time, Chizik has put together a recruiting class that is comparable to Ferentz. 20 recruits for both Chizik has one four-star and 8 three-stars (according to Rivals). Ferentz has four four-stars and 11 three-stars. As far as as I'm concerned, we could possibly have the same recruiting class as them next year, if not better.

Addict
    Level completed: 40%, Points required for next Level: 1,080
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 11
    Given: 5

Re: Chizik is owning recruiting

i like the positive attitude and excitement but it is comparisons like these that will never let us outgrow the "little brother" syndrome. i am starting to cringe at the comparisons between us and them. don't get me wrong, i hate the hawks as much as the rest of you, but when we only focus on doing better then them, we will never do any better than just them. i would almost rather lose to them every year and still pull out 8-9 wins then beat them every year and only win 6-7.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 59%, Points required for next Level: 825
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 29

I share your optimism about ISU recruiting. Chizik has done an amazing job in a short period of time. However, he is not recruiting the way he would like for the long term. Iowa State needs to win to get stadium improvements. Chizik is filling holes with JC players, not the way most coaches want to build a program. A long-term successful program builds recruiting high school players, red shirting them, having them build strength and learn the system, and have them five years. Chizik doesn't have the luxury of doing that, so his challenge will be to mix JC players and high school recruits until the pipeline is full. Iowa is not in that position. They can recruit high school players and develope them. So comparing the two is not easy right now. Both schools have different needs and recruit to that. Again, I agree Chizik is looking great, but he still has challenges ahead to build ISU to a perennial power.

All-Star
    Level completed: 97%, Points required for next Level: 35
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 16

I agree ISU Bet. It's almost like some ISU fans would be content losing every game except the Iowa game. Time to stop comparing everything we do to everything they do.

Walk On Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

Let's just keep Chizik can keep it going and get the top recruits out of the state next year. That way we can do our talking on the field and recruiting vs. eastern iowa u.

Pro
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 553
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 13
    Given: 2

Going the JUCO route is ok for this year, but hopefully we can start to get some top high school players next year.

Im not a big fan of putting too much stock in how many stars a player has.

Addict
    Level completed: 51%, Points required for next Level: 894
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 60
    Given: 186

I heard some moron on Marty and Miller that says he follows ISu and he said he thought that Chizik had done as good of a job as Mac wouldve this year had he stayed. Mac had 6 recruits in 6 months! And with the exeption of Bates, how many of em knocked your socks off?

#BEATIOWA

Starter Achievements:
    Thumbs Up

Bass knocked my socks off, don't forget he is our highest rated recruit and was a original Mac signee!!!

All-Star
    Level completed: 13%, Points required for next Level: 877
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4
    Given: 4

Comparisons are natural - its a way of seeking a benchmark to see how we're doing. But, compare apples and apples. The only valid comparison is to other coaches in the same or similar situations. i.e. a late season hire. While doing so, take into account the legacy of the previous staff. I suspect the pipeline was empty when Mac left. Also, ranking is a function of stars times numbers. Ranking could improve by adding 10 warm bodies who won't contribute. Examples:
    2005 new coach at Nebraska - I suspect the pipeline was loaded - the interim coach expected to be hired - 33 signees ave stars 3.33, 2 5's, 11 4's and 12 3's ranked #5. Note - about a third have left.

2006 new coach at Colorado 23 signees 2.61 no 5's or 4's and 14 3's ranked #48

2006 new coach at KSU 31 signees 2.52 no 5's 2 4's and 12 3's ranked #41

“We’ve got a pretty good football conference, and we’ve got a pretty good conference overall. We’re still walking around with our heads held high and our chest out, about that.” Paul Rhoads

Mariner Moose
    Level completed: 29%, Points required for next Level: 1,140
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 182
    Given: 588

Quote Originally Posted by ketelmeister View Post
    I share your optimism about ISU recruiting. Chizik has done an amazing job in a short period of time. However, he is not recruiting the way he would like for the long term. Iowa State needs to win to get stadium improvements. Chizik is filling holes with JC players, not the way most coaches want to build a program. A long-term successful program builds recruiting high school players, red shirting them, having them build strength and learn the system, and have them five years. Chizik doesn't have the luxury of doing that, so his challenge will be to mix JC players and high school recruits until the pipeline is full. Iowa is not in that position. They can recruit high school players and develope them. So comparing the two is not easy right now. Both schools have different needs and recruit to that. Again, I agree Chizik is looking great, but he still has challenges ahead to build ISU to a perennial power.
    I agree one-hundred percent with this one. Hopefully Chizik will stick around long enough to put Iowa State into a position of developing high school players and not having to rely on JuCo players bits and pieces at a time. That said, I'm excited as heck about this year's class and I can't wait to see them on the field next year. So long as the line play is better, I think the offense will be set to show some ridiculous improvement on offense, which was pretty abysmal last year, and, Chizik being a defensive guy, obviously, will have the defense playing at a level that some of us could only have dreamed of seeing the Cyclones play at on a consistent basis the last few years. Hopefully the D'll play that amazing every year, every game, every play once Chizik's players are all in place!!!!

Rookie
    Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 147
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 7

I think that it's out of necessity that he is recruiting all the juco players. I think he has been in the business long enough to know that he has to develop some of his own players to have success.

Pro Achievements:

Thumbs Up

I am always cautious until they actually play for us. There will be those that come in and we have high hopes but don't pan out. Others will be unknowns that are better than expected. Take Cory Mac and Wesley Johnson as examples.

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Coach Chizik is about getting results now! He is doing everything in his power to win now...not to wait around for a few years because the fans will give him a "pass" on his first season or two. Welcome to the Gene Chizik "take no prisoners" era of Cyclone Football!!

I cheer for two teams, Iowa State and whoever is playing the hawkeyes.

Pro
    Level completed: 83%, Points required for next Level: 229
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by cyclone#1 View Post
    Coach Chizik is about getting results now! He is doing everything in his power to win now...not to wait around for a few years because the fans will give him a "pass" on his first season or two. Welcome to the Gene Chizik "take no prisoners" era of Cyclone Football!!
    well said!

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 58%, Points required for next Level: 634
    Overall activity: 22.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 196
    Given: 90

My bigest concern with JC guys is the number that show up and then stay. Maybe DMac just had really bad luck, but the historic attrition level of JC guys at ISU is horrific. I would guess that between signing day and the end of the first season for recruited JC players over half are not on the team. Hopefully GC will have much better luck with this.