Overall activity: 39.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 131
    Given: 0

Is it too early to talk 2 deeps?

What is everyone's best guess for the 2 deeps going into the NDSU game?

Rookie
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 2
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7

Re: Is it too early to talk 2 deeps?

I don't know about the two-deeps, but I do know that some serious questions are out there.

1) Who's going to start at LT? Hopefully, everyone is eligible and this question isn't such a big one. Otherwise, I think we have a problem at LT.

2) What's the DL going to look like? Is Maggitt legit? Can Lyle make a big step forward? Do we have enough depth at DT to maybe make up for a bit of a shortcoming talent wise?

3) Who are the starting safeties? Hopefully Sims steps up and solves some of the problems we saw at the safety last year. Is Bell the other safey or Smith?

Other than that, I don't think ISU has any real big surprises coming this fall. The starting WRs, RB, LB's, and rest of the Oline are pretty well set. I'm not even sure we'll see any big contributions outside of Sims from the newcomers. That might be a good thing because it means we've got talent at the skill positions were freshmen/newcomers usually make an impact.

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation First ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 9

3) Smith and Sims

Addict
    Level completed: 83%, Points required for next Level: 309
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 20
    Given: 115

I think its only ok if we talk about Iowa's 2 deeps. Maybe 3 deeps if the starter is currently on probation.

But in all honesty it would be nice.
    QB,I dont think there is anyway in hell AA isnt the starter.

RB, ARob will get the bulk of the carries. Then I see Bo getting some good PT, but I think Schwartz will get the shaft in the long run.

Darks will be one starter at WR, probably Sed J, Hamilton and H. Jones will also get a lot of snaps. We've heard good things about Lonzie Range, hopefully he pans out for extra depth as well as Money and Bellamy.

OL wont change much other than maybe Zack SPears.

DE, lots of changes there. Lyle, Maggitt should start IMO, with Parker getting plenty of snaps. there are lots of other options that could play as well, Laing and McDonough.

DT, Ruemp and Frere, hopefully Black will come to play this fall. aybe B. Johnson will get his grades figured out.

LB, too hard to figure out with the 2 jucos coming in this fall. Garrin, one of the jucos and unfortunately(no offense) J. Smith.

DB, I say play LJ, Benton, Banks, Allen, Sims, and Smith all at the same time. There is also McDowell.

Last edited by ripvdub; 06-19-2009 at 07:49 PM.
    #BEATIOWA

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

What are the eligibility issues at LT? Kind of a big deal since that will be AA's blindside.

Don't assume that Ruemp and Frere will be the starters. They could be... but I think Alburtis has a great shot too?

I don't think Schwartz will get the shaft at all. He's too good and too tough not to play. ARob will need rest... he's just too small to take the beating all day long. And don't assume that Bo Williams will be ahead of Schwartz at all.

I think we should play a version of the 4-2-5 defense. Play LJ, Kennard Banks, Benton, James Smith, and David Sims as the 5 DBs. Mix in Bell and McDowell as well. Is that crazy?

We are VERY loaded at WR. Darks, Sed, Hamilton, and Jones should see the most time. Range, Zitek, and Carlson will play too. Any newcomer will have to be REALLY good to not get RS IMO. Money and Bellamy are the obvious ones to see the field since they are JUCOs.

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

I could have gone much farther into explanation, so I didnt mention everyone. We seemed to play a lot of people last year, and i dont think that will change much. At our weak(not strong) spots, DL, LB, who really knows who will be playing. I dont think we will even know after the first couple games whom our best players are, it can change pretty fast with new coaches.

#BEATIOWA

Legend
    Overall activity: 17.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 247
    Given: 269

Quote Originally Posted by Istate View Post
    I don't know about the two-deeps, but I do know that some serious questions are out there.

1) Who's going to start at LT? Hopefully, everyone is eligible and this question isn't such a big one. Otherwise, I think we have a problem at LT.

2) What's the DL going to look like? Is Maggitt legit? Can Lyle make a big step forward? Do we have enough depth at DT to maybe make up for a bit of a shortcoming talent wise?

3) Who are the starting safeties? Hopefully Sims steps up and solves some of the problems we saw at the safety last year. Is Bell the other safey or Smith?

Other than that, I don't think ISU has any real big surprises coming this fall. The starting WRs, RB, LB's, and rest of the Oline are pretty well set. I'm not even sure we'll see any big contributions outside of Sims from the newcomers. That might be a good thing because it means we've got talent at the skill positions were freshmen/newcomers usually make an impact.
    My biggest concerns:
    1.) DE. Lyle, Parker, Maggitt, Laing all need to step-up. Martin needs to provide something. Maybe we can get surprise play from Mansfield/Slifka.
    2.) Oline- maybe more talented than LB's but more of an impact position. Need Haughton to be eligible at LT, and someone to step up at center, plus the usual concerns about depth.
    3) LB- need better play on passing downs and better tackling overall. Not sure where that will come from- maybe improved coaching and one of the JUCO's.
    4.)Safety- I think Sims will be better than Hunley/injured Brown.
    After that, I feel we have bowl game worthy talent.
    My biggest player/personnel questions:
    1.) Who will see time at WR? We may not have elite talent (but we could), but we have a lot of very good players. Darks, Hamilton, Sed, Jones all saw time last year. A lot of excitement about Money and Bellamey. We have heard good things about Range. Zietk was a starter in the Spring Game and looked pretty good. Carlson has potential. Then there are the freshman. At least we now know any thoughts about Franklin being that deep threat will not happen.
    2.) Rb- I think ARob is the starter, but how will Bo and JS fit in to it? Both are assumed to be talented players.
    3.)The utilization of Tiller? He is a playmaker and needs to be on the field.
    4.)Collin Franklin and the TE's? I think Collin has a chance to be drafted. How will we utilize them?

Last edited by swarthmoreCY; 06-19-2009 at 08:13 PM.

Starter
    Level completed: 61%, Points required for next Level: 316
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

Here are my uninformed predictions....

QB: ARNAUD/TILLER
    TB: ROBINSON/SCWARTZ
    TE: FRANKLIN/CATLETT
    WR: DARKS/REYNOLDS
    WR: JOHNSON/JONES
    WR: HAMILTON/ZITEK
    LT: HAUGHTON/BURRIS
    LG: STEPHENS/HULBERT
    C: LAMAAK/ALVAREZ
    RG: HICKS/BAYSINGER
    RT: OSEMELE/SPEARS

DE: LYLE/LAING
    DT: JOHNSON/ALBURTIS
    NG: FRERE/RUEMPOLHAMER
    RE: MAGGITT/PARKER
    SLB: TAUFOOU/JACKSON
    MLB: SMITH/SCHMIDGALL
    WLB: GARRIN/RAVEN
    CB: JOHNSON/BENTON
    CB: BANKS/McDOWELL
    SS: SMITH/SANDVIG
    FS: SIMS/BELL

--------------------------------------
    “Max Power—he's the man whose name you'd love to touch...
    But, you musn't touch!
    His name sounds good in your ear
    But when you say it, you mustn't fear
    Because his name can be said by anyone!”

Speechless
    Overall activity: 69.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 264
    Given: 31

Quote Originally Posted by MaxPower57 View Post

RT: OSEMELE/SPEARS

How about Bellamy at WR?

Prospect
    Level completed: 20%, Points required for next Level: 241
    Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

Quote Originally Posted by MaxPower57 View Post

RT: OSEMELE/SPE

SLB are unproven. Taufoou Juco, Jackson not even early camper. Raven SLB in spring. Will have to wait and see who progresses.

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by icecreamclone34 View Post
    SLB are unproven. Taufoou Juco, Jackson not even early camper. Raven SLB in spring. Will have to wait and see who progresses.
    What LB spot will AJ be dominating in the near future? Will he be playing Will, Sam , or Middle?

Last edited by ripvdub; 06-19-2009 at 09:30 PM.
    #BEATIOWA

Rookie
    Level completed: 89%, Points required for next Level: 127
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

I think Money will start...

Not just because he is my brother, but more because theres not that any WRs on the roster with his size/speed/agility combination. Hopefully he will get his opportunity on Tuesday to play in the 7 on 7...he wont disappoint Im sure of it.

Last edited by TheCity; 06-20-2009 at 09:22 AM.

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by TheCity View Post
    I think Money will start...

Not just because he is my brother, but more because theres not that any WRs on the roster with his size/speed/agility combination. Hopefully he will get his opportunity on Tuesday to play in the 7 on 7...he wont disappoint Im sure of it.
    You certainly do not have to apoligize for having confidence in your brother at all. I hope you are correct, because if Money starts, he will HAVE to be the real deal.

You do make a great point though. If Money can make people miss after the catch and turn a 5 yd catch into a 20+ yd gain... he will play a LOT! That is something we do lack IMO. Darks might be the best we have at it, but after that... Hamilton, Sed, Jones, Zitek, etc are mostly all possession receivers with some height and good hands, but don't seem to make a lot of tacklers miss.

That's one thing that I've really missed over the last several years... the lack of anyone on our team to turn a ho hum play into a 20+ yd gain. Even our RBs have not been able to do that whatsoever. I haven't seen anyone on our team since Seneca Wallace that has been able to do it actually? I think Bates could, but obviously he's gone.

If Money can do that... he should start IMO.

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by swarthmoreCY View Post
    My biggest concerns:
    1.) DE. Lyle, Parker, Maggitt, Laing all need to step-up. Martin needs to provide something. Maybe we can get surprise play from Mansfield/Slifka.
    2.) Oline- maybe more talented than LB's but more of an impact position. Need Haughton to be eligible at LT, and someone to step up at center, plus the usual concerns about depth.
    3) LB- need better play on passing downs and better tackling overall. Not sure where that will come from- maybe improved coaching and one of the JUCO's.
    4.)Safety- I think Sims will be better than Hunley/injured Brown.
    After that, I feel we have bowl game worthy talent.
    My biggest player/personnel questions:
    1.) Who will see time at WR? We may not have elite talent (but we could), but we have a lot of very good players. Darks, Hamilton, Sed, Jones all saw time last year. A lot of excitement about Money and Bellamey. We have heard good things about Range. Zietk was a starter in the Spring Game and looked pretty good. Carlson has potential. Then there are the freshman. At least we now know any thoughts about Franklin being that deep threat will not happen.
    2.) Rb- I think ARob is the starter, but how will Bo and JS fit in to it? Both are assumed to be talented players.
    3.)The utilization of Tiller? He is a playmaker and needs to be on the field.
    4.)Collin Franklin and the TE's? I think Collin has a chance to be drafted. How will we utilize them?
    My biggest concern is DE as well. I still cannot believe we didn't bring in more recruits at this position? Maggitt could very well be the KEY to whether we win 3 games or 6. I hate to put that much on a young player, but we don't have anyone that can pressure the QB IMO. Lyle can on occassion, but not enough. If Maggitt and pressure the QB, it will improve this defense immensely. If we can't pressure the QB, we will get eaten alive. Either the DE has to do it, or blitzing from the LB will have to do it, but we can't let the opponent's QB tear us apart like last year.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 27%, Points required for next Level: 950
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4
    Given: 21

I honestly think the DE's will be fine.. i think the fact that the coaches have changed schemes and the small flashes that we have seen.. im hopeful that it all comes together.. i really would like to see parker step it up.. we saw some flashes from him his freshmen season.. and i really think lyle will be out to prove somthing.. throw in maggitt and the rest of the guys i think this group could open some eyes..

the main thing i will be concerned about is the oline.. but from what i have heard they are improving.. hopefully it will be enough.. i think the oline will determine if the offense is ok, good, or great.. because if AA can get a little extra time.. i think the offense is going to outstanding..

what it all comes down to imo is fundamentals and mental mistakes.. we do the fundamentals and dont have stupid penalties... i think we can stay in games.. it will come down to if we can finish

Iowa State: Anyone who's a true college basketball fan needs to see a game at Hilton Coliseum. Nice is in the DNA of Iowans and the fans here are particularly gracious -- even when the home team loses but gives a great effort, they are appreciative.

ESPN.com picked Hilton Coliseum as the "Hot Arena" in the Big 12...coaches in the league noted that, "regardless of talent, the Cyclones have a home court like no other."